Author Topic: P&O Ferries New Dover - Calais Vessels  (Read 3258 times)

Offline JAMES KIDD

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
P&O Ferries New Dover - Calais Vessels
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »
Does anyone have any photos of the Olympic Spirit or Olympic Pride, P&O's new Dover - Calais ships?

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: P&O Ferries New Dover - Calais Vessels
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:53:10 PM »
Interesting, where did you get this info?
Olympic Spirit is maybe the present Hellenic Spirit of ANEK in Greece?
Olympic Pride is maybe in fact the sistership Olympic Champion?
Both are now long distance ferries, I don't think they are suitable for the one hour Dover Calais run.

Offline Michael Fairley

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/UKSK8R00
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
I think you're confuzing yourself abit there. They are'nt interested in buying new ships, especially ANEK lines "Champion & Spirit" there are to big for the Dover-Calais route and arent even built with bow door, which would pose abit of a problem. Those are the names chosen for the 2 newbuilds that they have on order from STX Europe, although i wish they had have picked "Pride of" names for them becuase now those names don't fit with the others.
Probably One Of The Youngest Shipspotters On Here :)

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:07:43 PM »
Hi,

the Olympic Spirit and Olympic Pride are the names given to the two huge new ferries currently under construction at STX Europe. They will be used on the Dover - Calais route and replace the current Pride of Calais and Pride of Dover. The first of these ships, Olympic Spirit, will be delivered in the autumn this year.

They have stepped off their current Pride of
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Stefan Niederer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »
Here are some pictures from the STX-Europe website:

The are showing the start of production of the second vessel for P&O Ferries:
Here, here, here, here, here and here.

Here is a animated picture of the sisterships: HERE

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
Hi,

they are an enormous step forward in terms of capacity and size but I can't help thinking that we'll be a bit disappointed when they will eventually arrive.  The outside decks seem to be quite small. I suspect only the two lower parts with seats and tables we see in the picture will be accessible to the public.

I also fear that the interiors will be a bit "normal". STX have proven that they can do some amazing interiors. Color Superspeed looks good and the Seafrance Berlioz and Tallink's Star are not too bad either, despite having rather conventional interior layouts. P&O will play it more conventional I fear and leave us all a bit underwhelmed. Some renderings of the commercial drivers' areas have appeared on the internet (see the link in my previous post) and whilst they don't look too bad, it's all a bit ordinary
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk