Author Topic: New Orleans  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Jim Moore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New Orleans
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
Will be visiting New Orelans later this spring.  Would appreciate tips/advice re best locations for ship photography.  TIA.

Jim Moore

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: New Orleans
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 05:34:05 PM »
They have a nice promenade by the river,short walking distance from Bourbon Street.Big tankers rounding the bends,trains of barges. Also try the ferry to Algiers. Sun will not always be on your back if you stay in N.O.Good restos near by.
Daniel.

Offline mtpat10

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Orleans
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 04:41:31 AM »
Hello Jim.
Having taken pictures in New Orleans several times, I can tell you you won't be disappointed.
I think the most accessible spot with unobstructed close up shots is from the river park at the french Quarter in downtown N.O.
Second is very close to when you come out of the airport headed into town on Airline Drive, look for Williams St., take a right & go to the river. look for a community park with a parking lot. Climb the levee and there are windows of opportunity there typically of ships @ anchor and a good amount of traffic.

Third is take the 90 bridge over the river from downtown and take an immediate left and again head for Patterson Dr and/ or River Road headed downstream.

Everywhere, the road is seperated from the river by a levee you can't see over. You have to pick your parking spaces and climb the levee to see what you can see. And trees grow very well along the river. I'd advise finding a spot you like & sticking with it. You can waste a lot of daylight driving thinking you might find that perfect spot.

If you subscribe to Marine News you may be familiar with the late Jim Ferguson who was a prolific contributor of great shots from the N.O. area. I had the good luck of meeting Jim once on top of the levee along River Road on the South or west side of the river immediately upstream of N.O. between the 90 Bridge & the I-310 Bridge. Jim worked in the Avondale Shipyard, remnants of which are still in this area.
Best of Luck.
Malcolm Patten

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk