Author Topic: Stolen photos  (Read 20354 times)

Offline Hans Neren

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Stolen photos
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »
Well, sometimes i can feel sorry that I started this tread, it was not meant that people should be angry at each other, now at Christmas times.I am an amateur in this, not a photographer, only a happy Johnson Line collector.My self I think that if as I do put in some photos from my collections, on this and other Forum
:hammer:

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 09:13:59 AM »
Hi Arne,
I fully agree with you, I acquired as well negs from airfoto and even posted those photos in shipspotting. So I am as well a"criminal".
Anyway I will discuss this with the other admins after the holidays. Maybe we get a satisfactory solution for us "hobby shiplovers".
Gerolf

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »
Hi Polsteam,
As a professional in shipping business you should know the rights in professional business. And I think for professional business it is OK.
But here most shiplovers are hobbyists, who are retired or work in a different business. They do their hobby for their fun and not for business and do not want to deal with legal actions about photography.
If this, what you stated ist true, then our whole hobby on this site will be spoiled by legal matters.
And shipspotting to me is still a private forum (you have to become member) with the interest in sharing photos of ships despite the discussions after the swap to airnav. You can argue, if this a private forum than you can act as a private person showing your photo collection to your friend not in reality but in the web. So any photo could be posted.
But I would not fo so far. Concerning prints (which are copies of a negative) I act like you, I do not post any photo of my collection (which is quite big). But a negative does only makes sense to me, if I have the right to copy photos. Otherwise it is absolute useless, because much to small. So if I acquire a negative I do it for only one reason, to make copies of it (privately, as business with shipphotos does not interest me).
So members should be allowed to post scans from negatives they own until someone is reclaiming the copyright on that photo, which will not happen in my opinion as it is an unspoken law among private shiplovers, that an exchange of a negative means, that the exchange partner is allowed to make copies.
With digital photos it is more difficult as you only have data, which can be copied very easily and not real thing to talk about. I would treat digital data like prints, only post your own photos taken by yourself.
Kind regards from Bavaria and Happy New Year

Offline Hans Neren

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »
:hammer:

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
Hi Arnes

Please DO NOT put words into my mouth - I take exception to your comment:

"So according to Steve then good people like the late Mr. Duncan and companies like Fotoflite are criminals."

If as you say Mrs Foxley said "Now they are yours, you can use them as you like", then you DO have copyright and indeed can use the negs for any purpose - that is a 'verbal contract' and is recognised in Law.

Again - DO NOT put words into my mouth!

Offline Arnes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 12:02:27 PM »
Steve,
seem to be some misunderstanding here somewhere.
As you two times in these posts has written that photographer has to "specifically SIGN away copyright", I thought that it was in writing. Now you say that a "verbal contract" is just as good as a written statement, according to law.
For us who not has English as first language, it is good to know that "sign" instead of signing a paper you can just as well do it verbally.
In that case I also have to say excuse for the words I put into your mouth.

regards, Arnes

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2009, 01:59:28 PM »

arnes wrote:
Steve,
seem to be some misunderstanding here somewhere.
As you two times in these posts has written that photographer has to "specifically SIGN away copyright", I thought that it was in writing. Now you say that a "verbal contract" is just as good as a written statement, according to law.
For us who not has English as first language, it is good to know that "sign" instead of signing a paper you can just as well do it verbally.
In that case I also have to say excuse for the words I put into your mouth.

regards, Arnes

Problem is Arnes is that you accused me of calling copyright infringement a criminal act - That is untrue and should be withdrawn as I have not called anyone a CRIMINAL.

For your information - copyright infringement is a Civil Offence and therefore by its nature not a Criminal Offence.

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »
Hasse wrote: If this goes on, all this great people that has done and do so now, spending lots of time and money to photograph ships for us others to se, there work would soon be forgotten.

This is my sentiment exactly, and it would be a great tragedy if great photos are hidden away and eventually lost forever because of uncertainty about the copyright.

Regards

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk