Author Topic: Pictures used on other websites  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Andreas Schlatterer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Pictures used on other websites
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »
Hello

Today I found  one of my pics on a Website named (Eaglespeak.us).My name as copyright was mentioned but i never gave my o.k. to make this pic public on this page.
Actually the term " from Shipspotting.com and used in accord with Shipspotting terms of use." is used.
May I am blind but where I can find this terms of use. Only to mention that many pictures used for piracy reports in this website are out of shipspotting.
I am not quite sure this website is officially by US Goverment (Navy part) made  or by a  private citizen.

May someone has an idea

Best regards
capesize
Capesize

Offline Ilhan Kermen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • T
Re: Pictures used on other websites
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »
Hi Andreas
i think eaglespeak.us is a registered domain name redirect to a private blog page on blogger.com
http://www.blogger.com/profile/18172703868541571574
best regards
ilhan
Admin for Mystery Ships Category

Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUggz8GBBx0HS7P9fbPCKgQ

-------------------------------

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:25:22 PM »

capesize wrote:
Hello

Today I found  one of my pics on a Website named (Eaglespeak.us).My name as copyright was mentioned but i never gave my o.k. to make this pic public on this page.
Actually the term " from Shipspotting.com and used in accord with Shipspotting terms of use." is used.
May I am blind but where I can find this terms of use. Only to mention that many pictures used for piracy reports in this website are out of shipspotting.
I am not quite sure this website is officially by US Goverment (Navy part) made  or by a  private citizen.

May someone has an idea

Best regards
capesize

Hi Andreas

Its not an official US Government site, its operated by a retired Navy Reserve Captain (Surface Warfare.

This used to be the sites Terms of Use before it was recently purchased, so not sure if it still applies?

"The owners of the website are not in any way responsible for uploaded photos and material by the members. Shipspotting.com respect the copyright and the owners right to their own content. Copyright information: These photos may not otherwise be reproduced, distributed, cropped, resized, or otherwise altered without the written permission of the photographer. No commercial use of these photos may be made in any way. All rights are reserved"

What the guy at EagleSpeak should have done is to have a thumbnail on his site pointing to the original uploaded photograph on the Shipspotting site - that was another part of the Terms of the site - use by 3rd Parties :

"To promote contributing photographers and increase traffic to the Website, Shipspotting reserves the right to make available links to submitted photos for other websites or applications (hereafter 3rd Party) to incorporate as part of their service. Linking to material on the Internet is common and not an issue in itself, but to be clear on how pictures submitted to Shipspotting.com might be used, this paragraph was created. Following conditions apply:
# Third Party will be able to display a picture from Shipspotting at their website or application
# The picture will NOT be available in full size with 3rd Party but only as thumbnail. The size of the thumbnail might however differ from size at www.shipspotting.com.
# Third Party has the right do display the thumbnail only.
# The user will be redirected to www.shipspotting.com for the full picture
# Under all circumstances photographers name and copyright shall be presented directly in relation to the thumbnail and a link to Shipspotting will be present.
# Third Party has no right to re-distribute, resell or in any other way transfer or display content delivered through the Service to any other party.
# Shipspotting reserves the right to charge 3rd Party a fee for this service if applicable."

Regards

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »
Steve,

You are right about the Terms etc, as they apply today.
Question is, what were they when the likes of Andreas, me & thee et all joined?
Kelvin

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:37:29 PM »

kelvin wrote:
Steve,

You are right about the Terms etc, as they apply today.
Question is, what were they when the likes of Andreas, me & thee et all joined?
Kelvin

Hi Kelvin

Probably didn't have any Terms & Conditions then as there weren't any ties in with 3rd Parties - BTW, have you heard anything from LRF recently?

Regards

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »
Steve,
That was as I thought; if there were no T&Cs back then and I don't remember anyone asking me to agree to new, binding, T&Cs, I am not sure I feel bound by them.
Re LRF; Nothing heard so far, maybe I may send an email.
Kelvin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk