Author Topic: regarding deletion. ships with no masts  (Read 7331 times)

Offline willie ryan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
regarding deletion. ships with no masts
« on: November 23, 2009, 10:47:57 PM »
i had about five photos considered for deletion. sailing vessels. good clear pictures and detail. sometimes full pics dont show enough detail trying to fit in masts etc.

Offline Allan Cameron

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=30025
Re: regarding deletion. ships with no masts
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:44:33 AM »
I've had this problem before as well. The reason for deletion is that the masts and sails are the means of propulsion for the ship and are a necessary part of the shot as they show a lot of the ship's character and detail. I don't have a problem with it, but I can see an administrator's point of view too.

Allan Cameron
They say that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. :-)

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
The FAQ and Site Standards link will explain. Particularly the addtional site standards for sailing ships which quotes:
"A. Remember that site standards require full ships only - sailing vessels require masts (complete). Don't crop off top of masts"

Personally, I have to agree with the site rules on this one, sailing ships with masts cut off do nothing for the overall quality of the photo, but that's just my opinion.

Brgds
Phil

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:45:50 AM »
As Phil says, the FAQ is clear on this matter and should be read by everyone before they upload a photograph to the site as it will not only save their own time but also that of the Admins - its one of those things that will test the photographers metal as it is quite difficult to capture a FULL yacht, 'portrait' springs to mind  :-)

Regards

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:47:35 AM »

Caper945 wrote:
I've had this problem before as well. The reason for deletion is that the masts and sails are the means of propulsion for the ship and are a necessary part of the shot as they show a lot of the ship's character and detail. Allan Cameron

Hi Allan

Hmm, so using that logic, we should all try and post only shots of ships that show the prop  :-D  (Just having a joke at your expense)

Regards

Offline willie ryan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
sorry lads, my fault, should have read the form

Offline Allan Cameron

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 11:26:12 PM »
No problem Steve. I thought along those lines when my first Sailboat picture was taken down too.

Best wishes,
Allan
They say that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. :-)

Offline willie ryan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
caper. when your sailboat grows up to be a yacht, then you can call it a yacht

Offline Allan Cameron

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »
I mean a vessel which is moved by sails instead of an engine.

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 01:09:19 AM »
U100,

Sailboats and yachts are the same thing, :-)

Day sailing yachts

Day sailing yachts are usually small, at under 20 ft (6 m) in length. Sometimes called dinghies, they often have a retractable keel, centerboard, or daggerboard. Most day sailing yachts do not have a cabin, as they are designed for hourly or daily use and not for overnight journeys. At best they may have a 'cubby', where the front part of the hull has a raised solid roof to provide a place to store equipment or to offer basic shelter from wind or spray.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht

Cheers  

Cody

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 05:54:20 AM »
I agree with your first sentence Cody, because I am an old grotty yachtie.

But the Shipspotting Passenger Vessel subcategory for Yachts is for large motor boats.  Regretfully that is a universal definition.  It offends me, but we have to live with it.  Only vessels propelled primarily by sails are accepted in our Sailing Vessels category

By the way, the Yacht subcategory often attracts many and prompt hits.  It seems that the usually paid crews like to keep abreast of  which vessel is where. And they often have not much to do when the owner is not on board. They are thus probably a good target for our owner's shipping products.

Regards
Clyde

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk