Author Topic: SVITZER MALTBY  (Read 15445 times)

Offline Ian Thomas

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: SVITZER MALTBY
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »
Sorry about the delay getting back to you Richard, the Svitzer Maltby did a good job when she was here, a few LNG jobs and quite a number of the tanker trade as well saw her a few times myself will miss seeing her around.

Ian
Photo corrections Admin for Tankers and Data Editor.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 04:36:59 PM »

rathey wrote:

Steve

I wouldn't read too much into anything down as 'EST' on the PTA list. They might as well put 'we don't know'!

You're probably right about the fire fighting theory although I do remember the Phoenix being summoned here urgently from the Tees in 2004 to help deal with a fire on the Svitzer Quay so perhaps there wasn't local fire-fighting capability back then. I still can't see any reason for all four tugs to be here though, unless one is broken again or we're expecting something big. There's barely work for three.

I've not had a good look at the Yarm for ages. You'll have to enlighten me!

Richard.

Hi Richard

Oh yes, we know all about the last day of the month, 23.59 EST's - take em with a pinch of salt  :lol:

The only Fire Fighting capability of the Tyne, apart from the Svitzer Tug is the Fossway - see http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=638651 and that is for Rescue more than Fire Fighting, indeed it is hard to see what she carries to fight fires.

I'm sure you will have noticed over the years the Sea Horse plaque that adorned the wheelhouse front of the Yarm Cross, well it has gone, evidently not part of Svitzers 'corporate image'. A real shame as it was part of the Tugs history.

Regards

Offline rathey

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Tyneships
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 05:46:47 PM »
While we're on the subject of tugs what happened to the Cumbrae & Osprey Warrier? Not seen them for ages. I think the new Osprey tug and barge were planned to be based elsewhere, possibly Amsterdam? Not much work for them here now but the new Tyne Tunnel construction might have generated some.

Richard.

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 06:17:20 PM »

rathey wrote:

While we're on the subject of tugs what happened to the Cumbrae & Osprey Warrier? Not seen them for ages. I think the new Osprey tug and barge were planned to be based elsewhere, possibly Amsterdam? Not much work for them here now but the new Tyne Tunnel construction might have generated some.

Richard.

Hi Richard

I'm sure that is why we don't see them theses days - the construction site for the second tunnel has taken over their berth at Morston Quay  :-o

Regards

Offline rathey

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Tyneships
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
I heard recenty that the stuff they dredge up while building the tunnel up will be pumped into Tyne Dock, permanently filling it in. I think the dock's pretty silted up anyway. It's always been pretty much impossible to photograph ships in there and from my point of view it won't be much of a miss.

Richard.

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 08:06:15 PM »

rathey wrote:

I heard recenty that the stuff they dredge up while building the tunnel up will be pumped into Tyne Dock, permanently filling it in. I think the dock's pretty silted up anyway. It's always been pretty much impossible to photograph ships in there and from my point of view it won't be much of a miss.

Richard.

Hi Richard

Indeed that is the proposed plan but I'm not sure if it has been given the go ahead - this from the Shields Gazette  @ http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/Fill-in-Tyne-Dock-to.5449080.jp

Fill in Tyne Dock to expand Port plan

Published Date:
10 July 2009
By Paul Myles-Kelly

A MAJOR expansion of the Port of Tyne will be on the cards if a plan to fill in the existing dock there is given the green light next week.
Planners will consider an application on Monday to use materials dug up during work on the second Tyne Tunnel to fill in the dock.

The Port of Tyne Authority says the work is needed to expand its operations in South Shields.

It is believed that a substantial amount of material

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 12:52:23 AM »
Hi lads ,
Yes the Tyne Dock infilling has been given the go ahead  , it was in the Shields Gazzete last week, they reckon that there will be some huge rag worms in the spoil that is dredged up :)

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 12:30:19 PM »
According to the Tyne Shipping History, Phoenix Cross left for the Tees at 13:00.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

coatham wrote:
According to the Tyne Shipping History, Phoenix Cross left for the Tees at 13:00.

Hi Brian

Good to hear that the PTA Schedules are back up and running - they have been off line overnight  :-(

Regards

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »
Nathan,
I don't know what you lads on the Tees did to the Tenax but after a one night stop she is now rounding the north of Scotland, heading west.
Maybe the crew won a round Britain trip for being good lads!

Kelvin

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »
Ha ha, i suppose they didnt like our industrial riversides and decided to breathe some fresh air off Scotland. There bound for Waterford, which is in Ireland I think.

Offline Alan Jameson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/75amj
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 01:01:36 PM »
Hi Steve,

Filling in of Tyne Dock due to start 10th August.

Rgds
Alan J
Alan J :-)

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 01:34:04 PM »

ShieldsLad wrote:
Hi Steve,

Filling in of Tyne Dock due to start 10th August.

Rgds
Alan J

Hi Alan

Well I finally managed to get into to see Tyne Dock last week when visiting the VIC 96 - and now they are going to fill it in  :-o

I suppose its all a matter of commerce!

By the way Alan, perhaps you can answer this one - what is the green and orange boat in Tyne Dock - looks like a small Tug to me?

Regards

Offline Mike

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
Hi Alan
Great you made my day!
It was only last week I had permission to enter Tyne dock 2 hrs either side of high water by the PTA to take picture in the future.
I could not understand when I went to photograph the VIC 96 why I could not get in only to learn the gates are only open 2 hrs either side of high water.
Now I had better stay out incase I become part of the dock PERMINANTLY!
Regards
Mike :-)
Mike

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
There is only one Alan Jameson- best pilot on the Tyne - I  PMSL when Alan was bringing in a panamax And harbour 5 asked him to go back 10 metres - Alan asked what the distance was and he was told by harbour 5( this is the man on the quayside that tells the pilots were the ship has TO BE)  that it was 5 metres , the ship was pulled back a bit more - and Alan asked again to harbour 5- whos reply was "1 metre" (hehe) Alans reply was " can we not call it a day - this is a heavy ship" I laughed my head off when I heard it- the ship was 225 metres long and was carrying about 60 000 tons of coal.

I have also watched Alan pilot another Panamax coalie in wards- he had the rowangarth on the arse end giving him 60% astern to slow the ship- at the same time he had the ships engines going ahead to maintain use of the ships rudder-very clever piece of pilotage- the tug was being used as a brake , but the pilot maintained steerage by having water going past the rudder ..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk