Author Topic: Maersk Alabama. Danish owned but U.S. operated containership being hijacked by Somali pirates  (Read 15970 times)

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Pentagon: U.S. crew in control of hijacked ship
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 10:28:13 AM »
LOL... Maybe they should have read the specifications for the lifeboat before stealing it! 6 kn for 12 hours is the requirement as far as I remember... And most lifeboats in use won't do anything close to that as fuel is being burnt each time the life boat is being tested, but most forget to refill the tank! And they'll run out of rations and water in a few days too! Especially if it is one of those closed lifeboats we have on most larger ships as they can easily heat up to 40+ degrees during the daytime...

Let's just hope that the captain will be okay and that the pirates get what is comming to them! My bet is that there is a pretty little Predator circling the lifeboat and as soon as the captain is released, it'll go in for the kill!

BTW: I just read in the danish news that the four pirates keeping the captain hostage have said that they will fight back if attacked! I laughed a little when I heard that! If they are attacked by american special forces (SEAL, most probably), they won't know what hit them! Same goes for an UAV, but those tend to result in more collateral damage, so they probably want the captain out of there before they resort to those!

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:20:35 AM »
It gets even worse: The pirates holding the American  captain of a Danish freighter hostage are demanding a ransom to free him.
Can you imagine, with Seals probably already under their boat, and 1 or 2 big warships in close distant

Update: there where probably no seals yet: The US ship captain being held hostage  in a lifeboat by pirates off Somalia jumped off the boat early Friday but  failed to escape his captors.

Fred

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 04:15:49 PM »
It's actually kind of funny (don't know if funny is the right word, but in lack of a better...) but I haven't seen any real coverage of pirate attacks in the regular media lately, but then along comes a single american ship being hijacked and there is an absolute frenzy!

This might turn out to be a blessing in disguise as it might revive the medias coverage in the stuff happening around the horn!
Nobody cares when a crew of indians or phillipinos are taken hostage, but one single american get snatched and every camera in the world turns to Somalia! I'm not saying that it isn't a tragedy and that they shouldn't care, I'm just saying that it is a fantastic picture of the hypocracy of the media!

Offline roostes

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 05:51:29 PM »
if man puts in this way, then i would assume whether no other country care(want to handle hostage situation under such a wide media covergae) or simply has no muscle-shine to deal with this so.

I heard speculations that pirates in area are getting ready fleet of vessels currently hijacked by them are about to send it to confrontate US Navy surrounding this lifeboat. Sounds strange though...

roostes

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 06:11:50 PM »
The French navy just ended the hijacking af a small yacht, killing two of the hijackers and 1 crewmember.

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 06:44:18 PM »
Pirates attacking fully equipped destroyers with a bunch of old bulkers and tankers... Now I hope the media will send us a little of that action!

That just shows how stupid these pirates are! Even if the navy can't use deadly force on the ships because of the risk of collateral, they'd still "woop" them! And after 9/11 (actually, more after the USS Cole incident), they are allowed to and will use deadly force if pirates try to make an attack!

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »
The problem the US forces face is that the pirates plan to use the Hansa Stavanger and the 24 crew on board that vessel as human shields. Now that makes the problem a lot more tricky.

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 07:40:12 PM »
That's the big problem with collateral! After Cole, the US navy doctrine is to attack any ship with hostile intention!
A ship full of angry pirates with AKs and RPGs has pretty hostile intentions, so if necessary, they will open fire and not the silly kind with RPGs and AKs, but the really cool kind with the 5/62 heavy gun and .50 cals!
But before that happens, they are probably going to launch a counter offensive and take over the ships with the collateral that might result in! And that pretty much sums it up! One way or the other, the pirates would loose their bargain chips - which I'd kind of like! But let's just hope it doesn't come to that because I'd hate to see those innocent crews get hurt because of some very stupid people with guns have no respect for anyone besides themselves!

Offline Lysfoss

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fazer@yahoo.com
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:37 PM »
Pirates are asking for a $2m ransom for the release of a captain from the US, who is being held in a lifeboat off the Somali coast.

Captain Richard Philips was captured after a struggle on his cargo ship earlier this week.

He reportedly tried to escape earlier today by jumping into the sea and swimming toward a US warship. However, he was quickly recaptured.

AdvertisementHe was captured by the armed pirates and pulled back into the lifeboat, within view of a US warship.

CNN said that US officials believe Mr Phillips was unhurt in the escape attempt.

Four pirates have been holding Mr Phillips since a foiled bid to hijack his container ship, the 17,000-tonne Maersk Alabama, several hundred miles off Somalia.

Mr Phillips apparently volunteered to get in the lifeboat with the pirates to act as a hostage and secure the safety of his 20 American crew members, who managed to retake control of their ship.

The freighter, which is carrying food aid for Uganda and Somalia, is now on its way to Kenya, its original destination.

The USS Bainbridge is close to the lifeboat and has called on the FBI and other US officials to help negotiate with the pirates.

CNN said two more US warships were on their way to join the destroyer.

Meanwhile, one French hostage and two gunmen were injured when French commandos stormed a yacht held by Somalia pirates.

French forces staged their rescue six days after the yacht, the Tanit, was seized by pirates in the Gulf of Aden and talks broke down, the French presidency said.

One hostage and two pirates were killed and three other adults and a child on the yacht were rescued, a French presidential spokesman said.

'Today, with the threats becoming more and more specific, the pirates refusing the offers made to them and the Tanit heading towards the coast, a operation to free the hostages was decided upon,' the spokesman said.

'During the operation, a hostage was unfortunately killed.

'The four others, including the child, are safe and sound.

'Two pirates were killed; the three others were captured,' said the spokesman.

Earlier, Somali pirates released the Norwegian tanker Bow-Asir and its crew, having held it since 26 March, its owners, Salhus Shipping, said in a statement.

Offline roostes

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 08:32:01 AM »
i suggest U.S. Navy seals to approach the lifeboat from beneath and drill a hole/holes to submerge it. captain Phillips is capable of staying afloat but i'm not so sure pirates are - those AKs will drag them down :-x

rgds

roostes

Offline Dave van Spronsen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 06:01:24 PM »
I just read the news that the Captain is free
And 3 pirates have been killed
Admin for Containerships

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 06:05:30 PM »
Today, the captain has been freed. 3 hijackers are killed and one is captured by the american army.
The captain is unharmed.

Fred

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »
This are great news!!!Happy Easter!

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
Very good news indeed!

The pirates got what was coming to them! Glad to hear that the cap'n is okay!

Offline Allan Cameron

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=30025
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »
I'm glad the captain is free and they killed three pirates, and I'd well imagine that Capt. Phillips' family is happy for this Easter gift as well.

Allan Cameron
They say that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk