Author Topic: 50 Let Pobedy - Maiden Voyage to North Pole  (Read 6675 times)

Offline Frieda Harkin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
50 Let Pobedy - Maiden Voyage to North Pole
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:56:10 AM »
Just found this site to-night because I was searching for anything on the Ice Breaker '50 Let Pobedy'.  I have recently returned from the maiden voyage of this ship to the North Pole.  Only a few months ago did I discover that such a voyage was possible. It was truly amazing.  The ship itself is fantastic. I do not have great experience of ship-board life but on this expedition, we were welcomed at all times, on to the Bridge.  A working vessel, adapted for passenger use also, it was strange to know that an officer or crew member lived and worked in our cabins, during the winter months.  I am not sure where they were whilst we, the passengers, were on board; perhaps a full compliment of crew was not needed, I don't actually know. I do not know a  great deal  about ships really. Important Point; the maiden voyage of '50 Let Pobedy' to the North Pole, -as distinct from its actual maiden voyage,- beat the record and is now the fastest time from Murmanst to the North Pole. How much faster I am still trying to find out!  Whilst we barbecued on the ice, the ice and ship drifted 1 km, so that whereas we arrived at the North Pole and there are photos of the ship's navigation system showing 00.00.00 degrees, we  didn't  leave from there!!  The ice was constantly moving and carried us 1km in the space of five or six hours. Must also try to discover in what direction we were drifting---

Bob Scott

Re: 50 Let Pobedy - Maiden Voyage to North Pole
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:53:36 PM »
No matter which way you drifted . . . it was south!

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 08:22:02 PM »
I've seen a documentary recently about these trips. absolutely fascinating! you're an extremely fortunate person to have had such an opportunity. good for you!! its top of my list of things to do, hopefully someday i'll get there.
All the best,
Fergal.

Offline Stefan Niederer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:28:54 PM »
Interesting to read. I hope I can go on a trip north sometimes also. I have been to antarctica but I also want to explore the north. Maybe we can see some ship-pictures from your trip on this site. I'm very interested...! 8-)

Stefan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk