Author Topic: NCL - Aker Yards dispute  (Read 6452 times)

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
NCL - Aker Yards dispute
« on: October 13, 2008, 10:34:04 AM »
Last summer,  NCL had two innovative, 4,200-passenger ships on order, the first in the line's F3-class, touted as the newest generation of Freestyle cruising ships. Now, shipbuilder Aker Yards has confirmed a dispute with NCL over costs for the first F3 ship and is reportedly looking for another cruise line to take delivery of the vessel. Several major cruise lines have been approached.!!!

Initial buzz surrounding the F3-class vessels focused mainly on the distinctive "New Wave" cabins and the lack of traditional ship elements--no show lounge and no main dining room. Now one wonders if these features will make it difficult to find another cruise line to purchase the F3 ship, and whether major changes to the design would be required.

The two F3 ships were originally due for delivery in March and October 2010, and construction of the first ship continues.
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: NCL - Aker Yards dispute
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 12:21:10 PM »
work on the second ship has been stopped. All suppliers were informed to cease preparation for six weeks.

Regards,

Kai

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »
Hi,

quite sad, I was looking forward to seeing them finished.
Any ideas on which companies are in a position to buy (one of) them?

Regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 07:03:46 PM »
this is going to be a tough one. Who wants to buy ships, constructed for another company, especially in times like these? I am afraid, we might see more cancelled orders for cruiseships in the near future.

Regards

Kai

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 07:39:30 PM »
Hi Kai

You may be right about it being difficult to find a buyer for the ship/s but,  my guess is MSC Cruises will be interested - if the price is right. And as MSC and Aker Yards have a good understanding ------------!!!!!

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Hi,

MSC already have a number of ships on order with Aker Yards and they have recently taken delivery of another few.
Given the dispute with NCL, I guess the costs must have gone up quite a lot if they completely abandoned the whole project.

Would these ships fit in one of the Carnival brands perhaps?

Regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:31 PM »
Hi Cedric

I think the dispute is more about NCL/Star Cruises cutbacks than at Aker Yards.

MSC have helped Aker Yards (formally Chantiers de Atlantique) out previously over the collapse of Festival  Cruises.

If the NCL ships are available at a good price, (which I think Aker Yards will sell them for) I believe MSC will get first refusal.

As for Carnival being interested?      I think they are already tied into many other contracts at other shipyards. They like to follow the planning and construction of their ships throughout.

A possible second choice for the NCL ships could be Royal Caribbean International.

Offline Kevin Tapee

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cruisesinc.com/ktapee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:37:47 PM »
I have a feeling that Royal Caribbean is not going to be interested.  They have an innovative ship of their own that is receiving mixed reviews.  Oasis in concept sounded great but with each new detail that comes out customers are taking a long hard look at it and are just not sure of travelling on a ship that is so large it has "neighborhoods".  Aker Yards may be stuck with F3 for a while if NCL can't work out what it wants to do with it.  Carnival prefers the cookie cutter ships that may look slightly different but are just enough the same to keep costs down.  A similar approach has been taken by Southwest in the airline industry, fly only 737 varients so that parts and servicing costs stay at the minimum.

A likely buyer might be someone like MSC, although the ship doesn't fit into their style either.  The ship has no show lounge, weird cabins, and is set up for freestyle dining.  It would take a major shift for a cruis eline to want that.
"A bad day at sea is still better than a good day at work!"

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 03:19:44 PM »
Hi,

what you say about Carnival is certainly true. They have a lot of "classes" of ships which are then used by all the other companies they own.

Let's hope these things don't end up as metal cases like the old Regent Sky...

Regards
Cedric

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 08:15:57 AM »
yesterday it was announced that the dispute is settled. Only one F3-ship will be built: http://www.cruisebusiness.com/news.php?u=20081218161224

Regards,

Kai

Offline Skippern

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 10:14:17 AM »
I have been told that the cancelling fee for the second ship will be abt. 100.000.000,- euro :-o

Offline Harry Cotterill

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • www.dreamdesignscolchester.weebly.com
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:38:25 PM »
Hello,

It is certainly one big mess it ! I wonder where NCL will go from here. Maybe back to panamax sized ships ? I heard the news that they had decided to only built the one ship when I was visiting Project International (Light Consultants) when I was presenting my own plans for my new P&O ship on December 18th 2008 , it was very surprising to hear about it. They certainly must of not be pleased as they where designing the lighting for both of the ships.

It will be very interesting to see how popular the ship will be, especially with the free style dinning and no main show lounge.  

Best regard,

Harry Cotterill
Junior Naval Architect

Offline Harry Cotterill

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • www.dreamdesignscolchester.weebly.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:56:33 PM »
NCL Names F3 Norwegian Epic; Announces Inaugural Season Itineraries

Largest Freestyle Cruising ship to sail year-round

Miami   -    Jan 27, 2009   ---    

Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today announced that it has selected the name for its new F3 ship: Norwegian Epic. Just as the name implies, the ship will be the largest and most innovative Freestyle Cruising ship to date.

The 4,200-passenger Norwegian Epic is scheduled to sail year-round to the Caribbean from Miami, beginning in summer 2010. Following a series of inaugural events in Europe and the U.S., the ship will homeport in Miami and will sail year-round to the Caribbean offering alternating seven-day Western and Eastern Caribbean voyages through April 2011. These cruises are scheduled to go on sale to the public later this spring. NCL will open Norwegian Epic's sailings for group block bookings exclusively for travel partners in mid-March 2009.

"The F3 experience will take our already successful Freestyle Cruising to the next level, affording our guests the ultimate freedom and flexibility. Norwegian Epic, denoting a ship that is very impressive on a grand scale, is the most fitting name," said Kevin Sheehan, NCL's president and CEO. "The combination of the ship's exciting new features, along with the tropical allure of these Caribbean destinations, will provide an extraordinary cruise vacation for our guests."

The ship's Western Caribbean itinerary includes stops in Costa Maya, Mexico; Roat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk