Author Topic: Demolition of Stalker  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Jim H

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://jamesharper1@sky.com
Demolition of Stalker
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:55:27 PM »
The old LST HMS Stalker which was on the Historical ship list and has been lying at Pounds shipyard in Portsmouth for a number of years seems to be in the process of being broken up.Being a member of the Maritime Steam Restoration Trust and living local I have been keeping a eye on her.When I visited the site on the 31/07/08 I found that the bow doors had been removed and half the bow ramp had been cut away. It is a sad fate for one on the last of her kind and she follows HMS Handy in the same yard which was cut up a few weeks ago, another historical ship .I will post latest photo soon.
   :-(  :-(  :-(  :lol:  :-(  :-(  :-(
:-o ... :lol:

Re: Demolition of Stalker
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:51:19 PM »
Hi Jim

Always sad to read about this type of thing happening but I suppose in today's 'commercial world' that nothing is going to be preserved unless it can provide a function - i.e. some sort of visitor attraction or a floating restaurant etc. In other words it has to pay its way - that is the stark reality however unpalatable that may be.You probably know that already and I'm in no way trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs  :-)

I suppose many of the vessels on the Historical Ships List will go the same way, thus the importance of such vessels being recorded for posterity.

Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk