Author Topic: Trip reports  (Read 34480 times)

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
Trip reports
« on: August 03, 2005, 11:28:16 AM »
Please share any trip reports - whether day trips, longer trips or ship spotting vacations. Also any sea journeys you may have made, whether by ferry, cruise ship or freighter. We all love travelling and all love reading about travelling, so please share your experiences, and I am sure we all look forward to reading about them.

Offline Ma. Pilar Acevedo

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cormorant.cl
Re: Trip reports
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 01:59:40 AM »
Well, I work as a Shipchandler in Chile, and there are times that we do Hold cleanings and we have to travel inside the Vessels.

Also, my boyfirend is Captain of a Container ship,and I spend many hours inside the Vessel.

Personally I consider myself a fan of this kind of ships, and my job permits me to be on board almost every day. :-D
If you need provisions in Chile, just call me!!!! :-D

Offline Dieter Pots

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Greece September 2005 voyage report
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 10:19:06 AM »
I
Check out my pictures at www.riverships.ru and www.efoplistis.gr/gallery  8-)  any questions or want to use my pictures on your website, don't hesitate to contact me. All pictures: Finepix S5000...................

Offline ally1903

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 08:50:17 PM »
Hello i'm a fisherman from North east Scotland and could tell you about thousands of trips but i wont bore you.I also worked on the cargo ships for a year mostly with the Orkney company Dennison Shipping,unfortunitly they are no longer but at least i seen a bit of the world.

Offline firey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re:Worts trip 4 months anchored of Iran
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 11:06:06 AM »
Joined the Mv Exmoor in Antwerp then went to Gdynia Poland to load bags of cement for Iran . Did have a good time in Poland due to the black market exchange rate for our dollars and pounds.

Sailed round to the Gulf and anchored of Bandar Shaapour. Didn't realise we would be there for 4 months. Ran out of many stores had to beg of other ships. Spent my 18th birthday there still managed to get a drink to celabrate. Even spent xmas but can't remember it ,this all took place in 1976-77.
Only ships berthing then were Russian which we persumed were carrying weapons etc
Not one of my favourite places in the world. Left the ship in Iran once the ship had docked and later found out that the ship went to Singapore for drydock so we really got the worst of the deal.
Firey

Offline Ben

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.riverthames.co.nr
Re:Worts trip 4 months anchored of Iran
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »
Well i wont bore you with Thames trips etc but if you are planning on taking a trip on Londons river then i have a few recommendations.

If its a sightseeing trip your after then i would say Catermaran Cruisers Hydrospace boats are a great choice also great for evening meals too with the Symphony. If you want to splash out on a party and travel the thames in style book the Elizabethen or the Dixie Queen from Thames Luxery Charters,and finally if its getting to work quickly your after then Thames clippers hurricane clipper is a great way to travel in speed down the thames :D

If anyone is visiting the thames and wants to know anymore information on places to go,boats to catch and so on,i'd gladly help  :-)

------------
Some of the boats mentioned:

Elizabethen - Fantastic paddle steamer replica,once owned by Richard Branson

Hurricane clipper -speedy and stylish
Regards
Ben
-----------
Thames Waterman/Lighterman - http://riverthames.co.nr :-D
http://facebook.com/Liquid Highway

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
Trip report: Port Huron, Mich, USA/Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 05:18:19 AM »
This is my first post here so if this not what you want to see let me know.

Thursday, Dec 22 was spent spotting Great Lakes boats in the Port Huron, Mich., USA/Sarnia Ontario, Canada area where Lake Huron empties into the St Clair River.  All ships are "Lake Boats" restricted to the Great Lakes/St Lawrence Seaway unless otherwise indicated.

This is a marvelous spot, especially in the summer and I imagine several readers are familiar with it.

Prior to sunrise was the downbound "Wolverine".  AT 7:30am we took a half mile ferry ride across the St Clair River from Marine City, Michigan to Sombra, Ontario on the small car ferry "Ontamich". Canadian Customs clearance took about 30 seconds which is the usual time to enter the country.

The large 1,000 footer "William J McCarthy" was unloading coal at a large electricity generating station.  We watched the "Lee A. Tregurtha" enter the St Clair River and sail under the Bluewater Bridge at Sarnia.  Following it was the "Sam Laud" and the "American Mariner" was upbound.

The large car and passenger ferry "Chi-Cheemaun" which normally plies Georgian Bay on Lake Huron was laid up for the winter at Government Dock in Sarnia.  Further downriver we saw an unusal backup move as the "Mississagi" backed a considerable distance down the St Clair River from a fuel dock to the Courtwright Aggregate Dock to unload via conveyor crushed stone.

A few small fishing boats went out to Lake Huron but we did not get their names and we saw a tug towing a barge but even with the binoculars we could not get the name.

We crossed back over to the U.S. by ferry again and had major problems with US Customs for the first time in a few thousand border crossings.  One of the problems stemmed from using this ferry in a sparsely populated area several times in the past 6 months while living 300 miles away.  A young female customs inspector all but accused us of illegal activity even after a lengthy discussion of sun angles for photography in the am and pm which is why we cross the river.

Next was the"Fred R. White" downbound and after she had passed the tanker "Algosar", which was purchased and renamed from the "Gemini" earlier this year.  Darkness fell and a combination of rain, frozen rain, and freezing rain started falling.  We watched the "Middletown" go down the river then left for a 340 mile trip home to OHio.

Any day at Port Huron is a good day as it is a marvelous spot to watch and photograph shipping.  However, on this day it was cloudy although it was forecast to be sunny and the upbounds were sparse due to severe ice conditions south of Detroit, Mich which had stopped a handful of upbounds.

Being nearly in the center of the U.S. that is about as close as we come to ship spotting.
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Mick Evans

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/corsair
Trip report - River Humber 1/1/2007
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »
New Years Day and bugger all on the TV as usual! But wait ... there's movement out on the River Humber in anticipation of the docks and wharfes returning to work after the festive break.

PAVIS http://www.humber.com/navigation/shipping-info.asp - humber.com's online expected listings - showed six vessels moving on the river that would be passing Paull. So off we went equipped for a days shipspotting - we being myself and the old man.

The weather wasn't brilliant but hey, it was a chance to get out of the house. It was forecast showers for late afternoon and would be windy with a 30 mph SSW wind.

I was armed with my Samsung GX-1L dSLR, Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm lens and Manfrotto tripod. Can't forget the tripod especially in this wind! The tripod ended up being essential as it is doubtful if I would have gotten any shots without it's aid.

My 'new' favourite viewing point
Out to the east of the town of Hull is the small village of Paull.    There is access to the riverfront here and it affords some wonderful views of the River Humber.

To the right (looking northwest) you can see the entire riverfront of Hull and the various docks.    The BP terminal at Saltend is not far from here
Any vessels that are using Hull Docks will also have to pass by here along with anything this is visiting New Holland, the River Trent Wharves and the inland Port of Goole.    Any vessels passing here will do so quite close by so there are lots of opportunities for photo's.    For my own part I always find a 300mm lens to be amongst the most useful focal lengths when photographing vessels from here.

Another plus point of visiting Paull is that there are three Public Houses in the main village so whilst you are taking your photo's you can also relax a bit with a nice pint!    

The Shipping
First up the river was the RoRo BIRKA TRADER. The BT has evaded my attempts to shoot her on numerous occasions and despite her almost weekly visits to the river i've waited over six months to see her!

Unfortunately I paid dearly for these shots as when I was setting up a Tamron SP 300mm rolled out of my bag, off the top of the sea wall and smashed on pavement. :( Damn! It was given a ceremonial burial at sea and now rests at the bottom of the briny, well muddy river humber.

Next up was the BALMUNG for Goole's SW Berth.

Listening to the VHF we heard the tugs NORMAN, YEOMAN and ENGLISHMAN penning out of King for a berthing job in putting the ARIS on Immingham IOT3. What a splendid sight these three were as they were bombing up the Humber in the high winds!

A surpise was the Container Feeder TRANSAGILA for Goole. Not so much in seeing the Transagila herself but she was expected some two/three hours later when it would have been too dark for photography. I got a really nice shot of her as she was leaning over with the high winds.

ATLANTIC SUN was next up headed for Albert Dock SE Corner.

Light was going by this point but we stuck it out for another two vessels that were still expected.

Finally the BOUNDER appeared followed closely by the MEKHANIK MAKARIN. As the light levels had dropped dramatically it was difficult in capturing shots of these vessels especially as the wind was freshening too.

Overall it was decent day of shipspotting despite losing the lens.

Offline Kier Shackleton Gigeroff

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://Website under construction on CCG vessels
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 02:05:05 PM »
The bulker Gdynia was in the Canso causeway yesterday inbetween Cape Breton island and Nova Scotia, Canada.

IMO number :   7929970
Name of ship :   GDYNIA
Call Sign :   C6TL6
Gross tonnage :   35748
Type of ship :   Bulk Carrier
Year of build :   1981
Flag :   Bahamas
Status of ship :  In Service
Last update :   2007-01-10

Offline abcm

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 04:14:56 PM »
Hello,

I make plans to travel on the 9415 teu type CMA Vessel (Medea / Norma / Rigoletto / Fidelio) with routing LEH-RTM-HAM-ZEE..Around 10 days and will book with CMA cruises

Offline Mick Evans

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/corsair
Trip report - Teeside 18/4/2007
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 12:27:40 AM »
I've booked a few days holiday and have been making the most of them whilst I can. My father and I had been planning a trip to the South Gare for some time and decided a couple of days earlier that we would make the trip up there.

We checked the weather and their PAVIS (Shipping Reports) and found that it would be a good day to go. So we had an early-ish start leaving Hull at 7am. We took the inland / scenic route going over the top of the North York Moors. The journey time was around 2 hours in total so we made good time.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For getting to the South Gare viewpoint we headed for REDCAR (nr. Middlesbrough).    We travelled along Trunk Road and then turned off onto Kirkleatham Lane.    2/300 yds down there is a small roundabout.   Take the left and head down Todd Point Road.    The Corus steel works is to your left and the golf course on the right.    Along this road you will see various signs saying that it is private property and it is, but just continue on and eventually you will come to the viewpoint.    There is ample parking and it is big enough even for RV's.    If you go as far down as possible you will be able to set up on top of the old gun mountings and it gives stunning views out into the North Sea, Tees Bay and a modicum of the River Tees itself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The weather and lighting when we got there was really fine. Just a slight breeze but virtually no cloud cover and light to die for. After lunch it started to cloud over and by 1500hrs it was overcast.

As we were going all that distance we went loaded up with an assortment camera's and lenses. I took my Samsung GX-1L for Digital, and a pair of 135 film camera's consisting of Ricoh XR-20sp and Pentax *ist. The all important tripod and my VHF Radio.

We headed home around 1630hrs having had a thoroughly enjoyable day out. A final count of 20 ships and probably another 6/7 unidentified ones at anchor in Tees Bay.

Antares -
9131101 JotaGas - St. Johns (5420/97)
9013024 Golo River - Gibraltar (1256/91)
9325908 Penelop - Nassau (63448/06)
9172131 Lady Martine - Singapore (2998/98)
9324124 Shin-Sho - Singapore (8541/06)
9186182 Norsky - Rotterdam (20296/99)
7902635 Norking - Helsinki Helsingfors (17884/80)
9015010 Gaschem Phoenix - Monrovia (4484/93)
9045807 Kemira Gas - Antwerpen (10018/95)
7431698 Yara Gas III - Oslo (2198/75)
9164495 Sten Odin - Bergen (8594/98)
7512466 Boxer - Antwerpen (517/77)
8913021 Hajo - St. Johns (3818/91)
8843850 Kielder - Douglas (2138/82)
8201569 Wilton - Middlesbrough (345/83)
Pilot Greatham - Middlesbrough (.../07)

Offline abcm

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 08:28:47 AM »
As mentioned before that i travel with cma, is incorrect.
found a cheaper way with a chartercompany...
Will now travel with the 9580 teu CSCL Le Havre.
Will embark in Le Havre, disembark in Zeebrugge

Routing and dates as follow:

LE Havre:  02/03 june
Rotterdam: 04/05 june
Hamburg:   06/08 june
Zeebrugge:    09 june

Of course will make a lot of photo's...

Offline dhruv manan

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 08:28:53 AM »
hullo everyone,
i am dhruv manan from india. i work in the merchant navy with bw shipping singapore, formerly bergesen dy asa, norway. i sail as a second offiecer. i recently got back from a trip on the bw nantes, an lpg carrier. we were mainly trading in the mediterannean region.

Offline Jim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 06:19:18 AM »
NOVA ZEELANDIA is leaving dutch harbor as of this writing.  I submitted a photo to this web page i've just joined.  kinda neat! ......... I am at sea all the time, 'sea' a lot of ships!  and will make an effort to submit more photos including this noaa ship i sail on.
              jimrr

Offline Alex

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 11:41:56 AM »
Can I get any information about BRITISH ESTEEM? Will go as 2nd Engineer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk