Author Topic: aislive  (Read 2781 times)

Offline snocky

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
aislive
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:29:26 PM »
Would appr. hearing from someone re. aislive free version. Presently able to get europe & med. Is it still available for us old poor pensioners worldwide as being an avid sea lover i sure wish i could afford to get it all. Appr. reply asap. Thanks so much. "BOB".

Offline John Eaton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: aislive
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »
Hi Bob,
I bought an SR161 AIS receiver a year ago and by using it with ShipPlotter I can pick up about 15-20nm radius from home. The main point being that apart from getting a live picture of my locality, by using the share feature I can get live positions from other users around Europe. I think the cost was about $150. Hope this helps.
Regards,
John

Offline Bruce Sutherland

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:09:00 AM »
As a user of a SR162 i can thouroghly recomend getting your own AIS recieving equipment.

I currently as many others do share my data from my location to Ship Plotter COOA server so others can view my data if they have a registered copt of the software.

Ialso share my data to a free website call AIS Liverpool which provides good coverage of the UK. (live to public)

In regards to Worldwide your a bit limited, there is:

SiiTech Web Vts Web that has some coverage in Canada and the world (live to public)

Vessel Tracker which has some coverage in Europe. (delayed 1 hour for free account)

AIS Live some world coverage on paid version , free mostly Europe and very expensive for live coverage (free to public available but least one hour delay on free, limit to areas shown, no search ability etc)

AIS Live must be in bed with the goverment to restrict it's use so much and it's cost.

Offline Matt Ruscher

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 01:52:42 AM »
I couldn't give shipplotter a better rating, what a difference, and you can see others sharing all around the world from their locale. It helps for hobby but more importantly for work also.
brgds,
Matt
PLEASE COMMENT, RATE or better yet Email or IM me to discuss anything about ships, always looking to make new friends and improve my pictures  :-D ......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk