Author Topic: Day at Ipswich/Felixstowe/Lowestoft & Gt Yarmouth  (Read 14847 times)

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Day at Ipswich/Felixstowe/Lowestoft & Gt Yarmouth
« on: January 02, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »
Over the Xmas period I decided to have a day out somewhere and following a bit of research on AIS and port websites I quickly ruled out the Humber ports due to access issues and lack of shipping so looked at Felixstowe and/or Yarmouth as they are only just under 2hrs drive from where I live.

Setting off at 06.45am I headed off to Ipswich and found the Westminster Dredging vessel Norma, Blue hulled passenger vessel Harmony II, Russian riversea ship Amur 2517, Trinity house vessel Alert and customs cutter Vigilant.  Access was via the yacht club and also Fox

Re: Day at Ipswich/Felixstowe/Lowestoft & Gt Yarmouth
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »
Hi Darren

I found it interesting and it just goes to show what can be achieved in a day  :-o

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:03:50 PM »
Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip report, it did involve a lot of driving but made a refreshing change to do all 4 ports in such a narrow period of daylight hours.

To think we used to do a 375 mile round trip all over the Humber ports in a day usually leaving at 05.30am and getting home at 23.00hrs.

Now thats dedication !!!

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:22:37 PM »

DGShips wrote:
Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip report, it did involve a lot of driving but made a refreshing change to do all 4 ports in such a narrow period of daylight hours.

To think we used to do a 375 mile round trip all over the Humber ports in a day usually leaving at 05.30am and getting home at 23.00hrs.

Now thats dedication !!!

Hi Darren

Not just dedication but rather expensive given the cost of fuel!

I can make the Tees in about an hour and have been there a few times (South Gare) - change from the Car Carriers on the Tyne  :-o . Have thought about the Humber and further afield but I think it would have to include an overnight in a Travel Lodge.

Always interesting to read 'trip reports' only ting is we don't see enough of them.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »
Hi Steve,

Fuel is a major factor on any trip but with a bit of homework i.e www.petrolprices.com you can see where to buy the lower priced fuel, the difference between Wisbech and Yarmouth was up to 6p litre which calculated over the trip is

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 02:11:21 PM »
Hi Darren

Some great hints and tips there which for someone from outside of the area would save a lot of time!

I can remember (35 years ago!) when the Fish Dock at Hull was 'Open All Areas' - I worked there then but in those days didn't have a camera or interest in them.
By chance I was talking to the Crew of the Atlantic Princess at North Shields today, they had come up from Hull to board their Trawler- all 36 of them. Due to the heavy seas the crew change was made as the Atlantic Princess travelled up the channel in the Port of Tyne - 8 at a time on the Pilot Cutter - strange sight indeed, still it avoids the berthing charge  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »
Hi Steve,

Must have been a strange sight !

Most ports used to be fairly open but its all gone silly with Health & Safety with those ambulance chasing lawyers and influence from the claim culture we sadly live in today.

Agreed it would be good if we had sections covering all the ports, wharves and quays in the UK, that way a outsider could find their way about with ease following the expert advice from the locals.

I will do a section on the Washports a bit later and get the ball rolling hopefully everyone else will chip in and we can build a excellent reference list.

Darren

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 11:13:49 PM »
Hi Darren, i enjoyed your trip report to, and its helpfull as i plan to visit Felixstowe this year as never got round to it last year.

keep them coming! and feel free to give me a shout if your ever visiting the south coast!

rgds
Andrew    :-D

Offline Eddie Walker

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 12:51:48 PM »
At the moment, ships keep well to the North all the way from Hull to Ferriby, apart from a small area between the old shipyard at Hessle and the Humber Bridge, so St Andrews Quay, the Humber Bridge and the Ferriby foreshore are all good spots for photography. Summer evenings are best for both the volume of traffic and the angle of the sun.

I've heard said that the channels in the Humber tend to 'flex' over time, so a penalty for the channel above the Humber Bridge coming over to the North side may be that the channel below the bridge may eventually switch to the New Holland side... time will tell.

I visited Paull recently and although the views are terrific in both directions, it's probably the worst spot on the Humber for the angle of the sun during the main part of the day.
Regards
Eddie

Offline Darren

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your comment.

Have you been to Felixstowe before then ?

Darren

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 02:44:44 PM »
I have visited one a long time ago through work as i worked for P&O, but i want to visit again soley for some ship spotting this time!!

rgds
Andrew

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »
Might I suggest, with respect, Felixstowe is not the best place to go for spotting and or 'photting. If you went to Felixstowe you would never be able to see all vessels that may be on the berths, in fact you could only see very few that were on the berths. I suggest instead that you go to Harwich and from there just across the river you will be able to see everything that is alongside at Felixstowe which on some occaisions could be in excess of a dozen vessels. If you take the Harwich option you will also be able to see close up the Trinity House berths and from a distance anything that might be on Parkeston Quay. I hope this helps. Rgds j.w.

Offline john macadie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theredwizard.com
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 07:13:20 PM »
hi darren

i am down in devon

a tug, that i fell in love with, came up for sale and i said i'd like to buy her

the yard agreed to sell her  i asked someone to look at the engine for me

next thing i knew i had been outbid by a measley amount  too small to let me feel good about the whole thing to be honest  i think i made the mistake of saying too much to too many people in my excitement.

the new owners started her up and engine trouble developed,  the generators went and so on

so my feelings for the new owners increased

i gave up on her when she left our waters and thought  oh well goodbye lovely lady

and what do i see   your posted comments about that ship that i still love so much

st piran

any pics ? for an old fella in darkest devon

regards john macadie

www.theredwizard.com

i'm the good looking fella   obviously

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk