Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth 2 40 th Birthday Cruise  (Read 23063 times)

Re: Queen Elizabeth 2 40 th Birthday Cruise
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2007, 08:49:02 PM »
Hi All

Nice night time shot of QE2 at her berth on the web camera @
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/webcams/royal_quays_east_webcam.shtml

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2007, 10:26:46 PM »

cawky wrote:
Hi ,

It looks like the QE2 had a good gallop this morning at 10:18 :-

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/shiptrail.php?mmsi=232089000

over 25 Knots at 40 year old, not bad !!

Cawky

PS this AIS site seems quite up to date:-

Hi all,
I stood outside for about 2 hours before I hit the pub on the Lawe Top at South Shields , in the pub there was a lad who had a friend on the pilot boat and he kept us up to date with what was happening.

what I cant understand is the approach the QE2 took to enter the river , it was from a northward position !!!
most ships I sea enter come from a more of an angle to line up with the lights on the fish key. I know that the QE2 did turn towards that position , but was it not a late manouver, where as most ships line up on the run in about 3 or 4 miles out, I just thought it was a queer way to bring the ship in!!

When she did come in it was worth wait !!

I thought she was going to go to Jarrow and then be turned before being moored up ? It looks like this will   have to happen tommorrow.

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/shiptrail.php?mmsi=232089000

Did anyone notice the 20 mile speed run this morning to Flamborough Head at almost 26 Knots!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cawky

http://aisfree.aislive.com/Influx.aspx?Map=Newcastle%20Overview

Offline Alan Jameson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/75amj
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 08:32:47 AM »
Hi Cawky,

I was the lad on the pilot boat, that was my brother-in-law in the pub!

The reason the ship made her approach from the north east, is that the flood tide set south across the piers.  You'll see nearly all deep drafted/large vessels making approaches from the north east, especially during a flood tide, that's just the way it's done.
Alan J :-)

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 08:44:10 AM »

ShieldsLad wrote:
Hi Cawky,

The reason the ship made her approach from the north east, is that the flood tide set south across the piers.  You'll see nearly all deep drafted/large vessels making approaches from the north east, especially during a flood tide, that's just the way it's done.

Hi Alan

A large round of applause to the Tyne Pilot for managing to get her in  :-)

One question if I may - I noted that at one stage two of the Tyne Tugs ventured a couple of miles off and it looked as though they were going to tow QE2 in - was any thought given to towing her in?

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Alan Jameson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 08:58:42 AM »
Hi Steve,

The tugs were just going out to be nosey and take a closer look.  At no stage did they consider towing her in.

The best policy for a safe entrance through the piers is a good speed.  This helps reduce the effect of the tide and wind on the ship.  If you make tugs fast your max speed can only be about 7 or 8 knots, so if a ship has her own power we always make tugs fast in the harbour after the speed has reduced to about 7 knts.

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2007, 09:06:18 AM »

ShieldsLad wrote:
Hi Steve,

The tugs were just going out to be nosey and take a closer look.  At no stage did they consider towing her in.

The best policy for a safe entrance through the piers is a good speed.  This helps reduce the effect of the tide and wind on the ship.  If you make tugs fast your max speed can only be about 7 or 8 knots, so if a ship has her own power we always make tugs fast in the harbour after the speed has reduced to about 7 knts.

Hi Alan

Makes sense - I was quite amazed by the "experts" standing around me on the Spanish Battery, claims that the Captain of the QE2 was "show boating", that the QE2 was only calling in to the Tyne for water, that she ditched a load of ballast to get into the Tyne on her 4th attempt and "Look the Princess of Norway managed to get out without a problem" (Dohh). Leave it to the professionals that's what I said  :lol:
I suppose the Tynemouth Lifeboat was being "nosey" as well - the crew must have had a touch of worms as they couldn't sit still, in and out, in and out.

Looking forward to seeing QE2 leave tonight - another photo opportunity.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2007, 09:16:00 AM »
HI,
Try this :-

http://www.cunard.co.uk/bridgecam/qe2_cam1.asp

Cawky

Got to dash back to work

Offline Eliza

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2007, 09:41:46 AM »
I am so pleased on the last attempt that the ship entered the tyne.
The Captain was determined to enter, being from Wallsend originally. so it said on the radio just before.
I am also very lucky to live near the quays so had a walk down to get some pictures.
I did go to Tynemouth at 4.00pm yesterday, but left at 6.00pm thinking it was not to be. So happy on all fronts.

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2007, 01:40:34 PM »

Eliza wrote:
The Captain was determined to enter, being from Wallsend originally. so it said on the radio just before.
I am also very lucky to live near the quays so had a walk down to get some pictures.
I did go to Tynemouth at 4.00pm yesterday, but left at 6.00pm thinking it was not to be. So happy on all fronts.

Hi Eliza

Nice to have a ship named after you  :lol:

Yes, many spectators went home after the third attempt, especially as by that time the heavens had opened and the rains descended. I suppose only the optimists, myself included were left but it was still quite a crowd!

Still we can all take another look at her as she departs the Tyne later this afternoon.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Alan Jameson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 02:22:54 PM »
Hi again Steve,

I've managed to get myself onboard for departure this evening, so i'll give you a wave!!!

I thought a few of the lads would want to go on, but the only other pilot who wanted to go has changed his mind.

I'm just going on as junior pilot, but that just menas i'll have more time to wave!

For your info the QEII is coming back next year on 8th Oct.

Itinerary as follows:

September 2008
  30  Tue Southampton, England Depart 5:00 pm
  October 2008
  1  Wed Cobh (Cork), Ireland 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
  2  Thu Dublin, Ireland 2:00 am - 11:59 pm
  3  Fri Liverpool, England 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
  4  Sat Belfast, Northern Ireland 4:00 am - 11:30 pm
  5  Sun Glasgow (from Greenock), Scotland 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
  6  Mon Cruising North Sea  
  7  Tue Edinburgh (from South Queensferry), Scotland 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
  8  Wed Newcastle (from Port of Tyne), England 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
  9  Thu Cruising North Sea  
  10  Fri Southampton, England Arrive  

Great news hey?!

:-D

Offline Eliza

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2007, 02:25:07 PM »

Ellwood wrote:

Eliza wrote:

Hi Eliza

Nice to have a ship named after you  :lol:

Yes, many spectators went home after the third attempt, especially as by that time the heavens had opened and the rains descended. I suppose only the optimists, myself included were left but it was still quite a crowd!

Still we can all take another look at her as she departs the Tyne later this afternoon.

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Thank you for the nice welcoming post Steve.
I did get in to watch it on the Royal Quays webcam.
I imagine there will be a number of people watching her depart, myself included.
 :-)

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 02:53:33 PM »

ShieldsLad wrote:
Hi again Steve,

I've managed to get myself onboard for departure this evening, so i'll give you a wave!!!

I thought a few of the lads would want to go on, but the only other pilot who wanted to go has changed his mind.

I'm just going on as junior pilot, but that just menas i'll have more time to wave!

Great news hey?!

Hi Alan

Great to hear you will on board - Lucky so and so - one for the C.V.  :lol:
Give me a wave - more than likely will be at Tyne Street (North Shields)- just to the right of the old High Light.

It will be interesting to see what the challenges of the October weather brings to QE2 when she comes again in 2008!

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Alan Jameson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »

Ellwood wrote:

ShieldsLad wrote:
Hi again Steve,

Great news hey?!

Hi Alan

Great to hear you will on board - Lucky so and so - one for the C.V.  :lol:
Give me a wave - more than likely will be at Tyne Street (North Shields)- just to the right of the old High Light.

It will be interesting to see what the challenges of the October weather brings to QE2 when she comes again in 2008!

Regards

Steve Ellwood

If you see me waving Steve, please try and get a picture!

Offline Eliza

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2007, 03:12:46 PM »

ShieldsLad wrote:
Hi again Steve,

Itinerary as follows:

September 2008
  30  Tue Southampton, England Depart 5:00 pm
  October 2008
  1  Wed Cobh (Cork), Ireland 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
  2  Thu Dublin, Ireland 2:00 am - 11:59 pm
  3  Fri Liverpool, England 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
  4  Sat Belfast, Northern Ireland 4:00 am - 11:30 pm
  5  Sun Glasgow (from Greenock), Scotland 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
  6  Mon Cruising North Sea  
  7  Tue Edinburgh (from South Queensferry), Scotland 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
  8  Wed Newcastle (from Port of Tyne), England 7:00 am - 10:00 pm
  9  Thu Cruising North Sea  
  10  Fri Southampton, England Arrive  

Great news hey?!

It is great news, just heard earlier today.
Hoping to catch a wave, good luck

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »

ShieldsLad wrote:
Hi Cawky,

HI Shieldslad,

its a small world ,and it was nice to meet your brother-in-yesterday. I like your answer about the direction of approach for deeper drafted vessels, every day is a learning day!What draught you class as deeper?Is it over 6 metres.

What they swung the QE2 ,was there much room, from were I was on the bridge above Market Dock it looked tight fit?

Are you staying on the ship to Edinburgh, like the pilot who brought the QE2 in?

Regards Cawky

PS what another good turnout tonight, next we will welcome the QM2!!!!!!!!  one day maybe?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk