Author Topic: Ship Longevity?  (Read 3970 times)

Ship Longevity?
« on: August 07, 2007, 07:54:29 AM »
Hi All

This article from The Economic Times (India) @
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News_By_Industry/Transportation/Ships_over_25_years_old_to_be_barred_from_docking_here/articleshow/2261174.cms makes you wonder about the expected longevity of ships. For instance this 25 year rule would mean that the likes of the QE2 wouldn't be permitted to dock in India!

"Ships over 25 years old to be barred from docking here
7 Aug, 2007, 0416 hrs IST,Nirbhay Kumar & Rajat Guha, TNN

NEW DELHI: The government is charting out guidelines to bar entry of aged overseas ships into Indian coasts. Ships aged 25 years and above may soon be disallowed to dock at Indian coasts.

According to a shipping ministry official, 17,000 ships are overage in the world. The policy is being finalised and would be announced soon. Ships with bad track records and Flags Of Convenience (FoC) like Panama (where ships are granted certification without major checks) won

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Longevity?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:40:25 AM »
Typical policy-making from officials who no absolutely nothing about ships or the shipping industry and think that all FoC or old ships are universally bad.

Phil

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:40:06 PM »
I wonder what sort of effect this will have on their ship breaking industry?

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 12:49:22 PM »

Glenn wrote:
I wonder what sort of effect this will have on their ship breaking industry?

Hi Glenn

Perhaps its a way of generating additiona business for Alang  :-x

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline foggy

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 01:43:59 AM »
Hi!

I can't help smiling when I read this... We are currently anchored off Visakhapatnam, India, and when I look around I don't see many ships that look to be newer than 15-20 years. If India goes ahead with this (which I think they won't, it's just politics) they won't have much trade. And forbidding FoC flagged ships as well... India already have some of the most stringent cabotage rules (outside USA) in the world and are obviously looking to further these in a non-realistic protectionist move, probably in the hope that all trade to/from India will be with Indian flagged ships. As I look around again I do see quite a few Indian flagged ships here, but the majority seems (as everywhere else in the world) to be FoC flagged. In conlusion, this seems to be a rather naive suggestion by some protectionist politician, who has taken hint from what's going on in the EU... :-x

Also it wouldn't suprise me if this is intended to, in some  slightly misdirected way, boost the Indian shipbuilding industry.

BRGDS / foggy

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:53:44 AM »
This is getting like an episode of Monty Python - spam, spam, spam. If you have a site to promote then stick it in the links. Thanks, 'Ship Images'

Offline bobrayner

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://bt.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:17:44 PM »
Hooray for badly-thought-out protectionism!

This would be more damaging than the Jones act.

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »

foggy wrote:
I can't help smiling when I read this... We are currently anchored off Visakhapatnam, India, and when I look around I don't see many ships that look to be newer than 15-20 years. If India goes ahead with this (which I think they won't, it's just politics) they won't have much trade. And forbidding FoC flagged ships as well... India already have some of the most stringent cabotage rules (outside USA) in the world and are obviously looking to further these in a non-realistic protectionist move, probably in the hope that all trade to/from India will be with Indian flagged ships. As I look around again I do see quite a few Indian flagged ships here, but the majority seems (as everywhere else in the world) to be FoC flagged. In conlusion, this seems to be a rather naive suggestion by some protectionist politician, who has taken hint from what's going on in the EU... :-x

Also it wouldn't suprise me if this is intended to, in some  slightly misdirected way, boost the Indian shipbuilding industry.

BRGDS / foggy  

Hi Foggy

Thought you might be interested in this piece from The Economic Times @
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Shipping__Transport/Shipping_ministry_plans_to_allow_foreign_crew_on_Indian_ships/articleshow/2282169.cms

Shipping ministry plans to allow foreign crew on Indian ships

Shipping ministry plans to allow foreign crew on Indian ships

15 Aug, 2007, 0301 hrs IST,Nirbhay Kumar & Rajat Guha, TNN

NEW DELHI: The shipping ministry is considering a proposal to allow foreign crew on Indian ships.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk