Author Topic: Tall ships races toulon 2007  (Read 4838 times)

Offline E. Vroom

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr.com
Tall ships races toulon 2007
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:04:48 AM »
I spend my holidays always at a campsite at Hyères near Toulon, so as soon as I learned about the event of the Tall ships race 2007 at Toulon from 21 until 24 of July I knew a would have a nice shipspotting day during the holiday.
I started gathering all about it in the newspaper to help me identify the ships. A heat wave was coming up and was expected around these days, the prospect of 500.000 people expected to visit, made me decide not to go there.
I thought it best, to wait until the 24th, when all ships would pass by close to the coast. The route given showed they would pass by between the peninsula of Giens and the isle of Porquerolles. I thought this to be the spot they would pass by at closest.
Days before I went out scouting for the best spot which I found along the “piste littoral” at Giens.
A small rock sticking out of the coastline, just large enough to place my tripod offered me a good view at the open space to the Mediterranean Sea to see the ships coming and next following them all along the coastline of the isle of Porquerolles.
Already “our” Stad Amsterdam and Spanish Far Barcelona were waiting at Porquerolles. On the inside bay “Olbia” I found Polish Pogoria waiting.
The 24th it was an early rise and shine because, word was out that police would block the road to the peninsula by 7 in the morning. We were installed at 7.00 hr so it was a long wait for the hundreds maybe over a thousand people waiting.
At 10.15 hr the ships were expected around 11 the first ship Belle Poule arrived. At first ships were late due to lack of wind they had difficulty leaving port at Toulon. Soon things turned around when both Mistral and Tramontana started blowing up to 8 Bft. So many ships were passing going on motor and/or little sail. I could hardly keep standing on this piece of rock.
I didn’t know, but this meteo made the organisation of the race decide to have the ships pause for the day in the bay at Hyères beach after passing the straight between Giens and Porquerolles. Which happens to be right in front of my campsite, and is a natural port for ages. So after I photographed the last ship we returned to our campsite where I found to my surprise the ships ankered in the bay. After dinner we made an evening stroll and again made a few shots. Next day I didn’t manage to get up early, so I missed them leaving.

In the next week I will post the photos. Since I made 700 of them it will take me a while working on them and selecting the best.

Julien Imbert already posted his series of this event on the location of Toulon itself.
Compliments for those Julien, jealous of your view.

For videos and more: www.grandsvoilierstoulon.fr

Offline Steve Tompkins

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Tall ships races toulon 2007
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 11:16:48 AM »
I look forward to your shots! I have a special request. As you go through them, can you please be sure to include some of the smaller vessels. These are often overlooked, and thus very interesting. In particular, I'd love to see the French schooners, Fetia Ura, and Spirit of Viking (sisters of the Finnish Helena); the Spanish vessels like Calla Millor, Tho Pa Ga, Far Barcelona; and any others like this.
Thanks for considering this.

Have you seen the new Dutch vessel under sail, the 3-masted Grietje? She would only be sailing in Dutch waters, not participating in any events.

Steve

Offline E. Vroom

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »
read your request before at a photo of Julien Imbert. Most of the ships you name will be posted. Some of which may be not considered to be ships but boats. So moderators may erase them. We'll wait and see....

Offline Jean Hemond

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jeanhemond.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »
Julien! I like many of us will look forward to your postings of those photos!

I also will, following your path,  and start  my quest for similar information for any race or gathering next year that will mark the celebration of 400th year of european establishment in Quebec !

"Of course here 400years ago is when our  local "written" history began!"

Archeology for us is then when a search is done outside of attics!  (Not realy serious!)
Jean!