Author Topic: Pub Sails from New Zealand to London  (Read 10134 times)

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Pub Sails from New Zealand to London
« on: July 26, 2007, 08:23:39 AM »
As if there aren't enough pubs in the U.K., one more of a very unique nature has just set sail from Dunedin, New Zealand bound for London. For a number of months the Speights brewery has been running a promotion in New Zealand revolving around how one mate was trying to help out another mate living in London and who was missing his favourite Speight's brew. So the company decided to ship a whole pub over to him, sailing yesterday on the small Dutch cargo ship Lida (IMO 7392907). Four kiwi's are accompanying the pub, chosen from several hundred who competed for the right to make the long sea voyage to the northern hemisphere. There is also a separate competition for others to fly to London to meet the pub when it arrives. It will be travelling via Samoa, Panama, the Bahamas and New York, and is due to arrive in the Thames on the 3rd of October where hopefully Ken and co. will be able to update us on her grand finale, and maybe others such as Tom in New York may snap her along the way.

For further info on the venture see the attached link to an official company video clip of the vessel sailing.

http://www.greatbeerdelivery.co.nz/Voyage/Dunedin.aspx?ImgGuid=383d1339-f637-44d1-b67f-945fd7a2b324

Surely one of the more adventurous promotions you will see.

Cheers

Brent

Re: Pub Sails from New Zealand to London
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »
Hi Brent

Great idea and an advertsing coupe for Speight's  :lol:

Interesting to read tha the Pub is made from two former containers joined together - good recycling!

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Stephen Lee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:54:12 PM »
HI Brent & Steve
What a great video & as you said steve a gret advertising coupe for Speights.
I just wonder will the beer still be anboard when she docks in London (hope the beer travels well)

REGARDS Stephen  :pint:
8-)

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 01:57:46 PM »
Well that is something diferent.

Export the beer and the expor the pub to go with it.

I hope the site keeps track of it during the voyage, it would be intresting if we knew when to look to see it got though the Panama Canal.

First of all Sheep and wool, now pubs what will the Kiwis export next?

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 01:58:15 PM »
I think it worth a drive down 8-) !

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 03:06:44 PM »

Glenn wrote:

First of all Sheep and wool, now pubs what will the Kiwis export next?

Hi Glenn

Sunshine? - almost forgot it's your Winter now, cme to think of it, it seems its Autumn in the UK what with all of the rain we are suffering  :-?

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »

kensmith wrote:
Hi Brent,

All very interesting, I like the video, I have bookmarked the date and hope she arrives in daylight.

Regards
Ken

Hi Ken

The first round is on you when it arrives on the Thames  :lol:

Regards

Steve Ellwood

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 05:32:20 AM »

kensmith wrote:
Hi Steve,

Be interesting to know the final destination.

Regards
Ken

Hi Ken

This is what they say on their web site - doesn't sound particularly organised at the London end of the voyage!

"All going to plan the lads will chug up the Thames on Wednesday 3 October

Offline Stephen Lee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »
HI Steve
I just hope the ale hasnt gone off when she hits London
REGARDS Stephen :pint:
8-)

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 03:30:34 PM »

captain61 wrote:
HI Steve
I just hope the ale hasnt gone off when she hits London

Hi Stephen

Well it is from New Zealand, so I suppose we should be challenging the term 'beer', never mind it going off  :lol:

(ducks head beneath the parapet awaiting an attack from the Kiwi Nation!)

Regards

Steve Ellwood

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 07:43:58 PM »
Good morning

We definitely have great beers downunder in the Antipodes. While the brew travelling north is not my beer of choice it is one of the top sellers here. But it won't be what you guys are used to, its somewhere between your ales (colder and more fizzy) and lagers (more malty). I tried your ales when I was there but couldn't hack it, even the mixed golden's were a struggle.

Hopefully the beer won't be affected by the voyage. I remember when there in 1986 seeing Leopard Continental Lager in bottles in my local in the pub on Upper Ground London. This was brewed just 20 km's from where I live here in Napier and I tried to talk the locals into trying but at STG 1.90 per shot they stuck to their usual. And lucky they did as the consignment must have had a rough passage around the world as it tasted damn awful.

Hopefully it won't be tainted by any nasty conditions en route and maybe the arrival of this consignment will bring some culture to the local beer industry.

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 09:51:49 PM »
maybe the arrival of this consignment will bring some culture to the local beer industry.

...I assume you mean back at home Brent? There's plenty of culture to our ale in London, my favourite is called 'London Pride' and I make that right.
I'll look forward to the arrival of the boat but probably not the beer!
 ;-)
Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 10:34:34 PM »
Local TV had an update of the ship arrived off Panama this week, footage from the ship had a great sight of ships all around but I doubt there are any spotters on board to record the view for this site. Neither it seems are all the "requisitioned support crew" seamen, as one member has decided to jump ship and return to the farm back home. A long 23 day stint from Western Samoa without any land in sight obviously too much for him, but his pain is anothers joy as they've gone to the subs bench for a replacement and a lucky lucky kiwi will be happily winging his way to Panama to take part. All they do all day it seems is play deck cricket on one of the hatches and make sure the bar taps don't seize up and kept as well oiled as the "crew".

Cheers

Brent

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 08:56:31 AM »
Hi folks

Getting closer, a day from the cost of Ireland, ETA London about Monday. A very rocky Atlantic sorting the boys out from the men.

Cheers

Brent

Offline Stephen Lee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 09:26:50 AM »
Hi brent
Thanks for the info (i just hope they havnt drunk all the beer)
8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk