Author Topic: ABP proposing major dredging project for Southampton  (Read 2539 times)

Offline DanSTN

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
ABP proposing major dredging project for Southampton
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:46:30 PM »
http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/files/dredgescopingreport.pdf

It will be interesting to see what sort of environmental opposition there is to this. For the future of the port its very important that this goes ahead - I've got a feeling it won't happen for some time though.

Offline DanSTN

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: ABP proposing major dredging project for Southampton
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/pinfo/DevelopmentProjects.htm

The Southampton VTS website has now provided more detailed information and a timescale for the following major projects:

- Redevelopment of 201-2 berths into a containter berth for the largest vessels
- A significant deepening and widening of the main channel that will allow a greater tidal window for deep draught vessels.

These projects are set to begin in 2010 and be completed by 2011. I really hope ABP carries through with these projects as they will certainly help the port to remain competitive against Felixstowe and London Gateway.

I guess though in the current climate nothing is for certain.

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
An interesting piece--Only time will tell- When will they have all the new cranes installed I wonder ??? Rgds...

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
Hi both

Interesting...... and I understand the council have agreed to back any new application for Dibden Bay to be developed........bring it on......the land was never a wild life haven neither was it part of the New Forest, it was mud flats bought by ABP for redevelopment - just as the rest of the Western Docks was built on reclaimed land.

Allan

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »
This has been on the cards for some time and this development is a must for the port, there are a number of major port developments in Europe that will add more capacity and competition in to the sector, for example in the (UK) there is the Felixstowe South reconfigeration, London Gateway, Bathside Bay and proposed developments in Bristol and Teeside.
But ports in the (UK) also face competition from ports in Northern Europe where there are other major developments eg massvalkte 2 & Euromax terminals both in Rotterdam plus others.
Southampton needs more development both in channel depth and container capacity to be able to compete in the global market.
Although there is a down turn in the global economy at present this will not last for ever and Southampton needs to be ready for future growth.

I for one cannot wait to see the dredgers passing Calshot and work commencing on 201 & 202 berths.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk