Author Topic: MSC NAPOLI SPLIT IN HALF  (Read 12409 times)

Offline connor

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
MSC NAPOLI SPLIT IN HALF
« on: July 17, 2007, 05:17:35 PM »
MSC NAPOLI SPLIT IN HALF BY EXPLOSIVES SUCCESFULY TODAY TO TOW AWAY TUGS WILL PULL AT EACH END TO SPLIT IT LIKE A CRISTMAS CRACKER
'

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MSC NAPOLI SPLIT IN HALF
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 06:06:03 PM »
i have just seen the news report, the explosives were placed just infront of the bridge house where there were already large cracks in the hull.

The two tugs will attempt to split the vessel at 9pm tonight, if it sucessfull the front portion will be towed away leaving the aft portion to be broken up on site, i still hav'nt been down to take any shots so may have too this weekend weather permitting!  

rgds
Andrew

Offline jnrawdon

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:06:38 PM »
and the BBC continue to call it the 'Napoli'

Offline Nathan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 06:54:52 PM »
So much for the re-float

Offline Christian Br

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »
It could be that the company (MSC in this case) have renamed the ship. I have some pictures of Hyundai Fortune that burned, and when beeing towed to Hong Kong the name was just Fortune. Hyundai was removed...
Or it could just be that BBC has misunderstood...

Brgds
Christian!
Be Prepared! :-)
Alltid Beredt!

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 05:06:19 PM »
The media have been calling the ship 'Napoli' since the start and not bothering with the 'MSC'.

Anyway, it seems she is one stubborn ship, still hanging on in there and not *quite* in two bits just yet. :-D

Offline David Walker

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 11:59:51 PM »
'The Napoli' has not been renamed, and is still 'MSC Napoli'.  Most of my (non-shipping) friends are now sick of me correcting them, and have now taken to to calling her by her correct name.

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 12:49:14 AM »
me too and it does annoy me when the correct name isnt used although i expext MSC dont mind heir name not being used!!

nyway what we must remeber is that when it comes to any transport related matters esp shipping the bbc are ....MUPPETS!  :-x

Offline Captain John K

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • http://gcaptain.com
Interested in Ships? Then you'll probably be interested in;
My shipping blog at gCaptain and my weekly Maritime Podcast Messing About In Ships

Offline Timsen

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:53:52 AM »
Coastguards believe more explosives will probably have to be detonated on Friday to split a beached container ship off the Devon coast
Explosions were triggered on the MSC Napoli, off Branscombe, on July 17and again at 1404 BST on July 18. But an inspection revealed the vessel remained intact, although it was "hanging on by a thread".

Tugs positioned at the bow and stern will continue attempts to pull the container ship apart. The operation is being carried out by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and the Ministry of Defence. All the explosives had gone off successfully, but more cutting charges would be used on Friday "in all probability" in a bid to obtain a clean break around the front of the accommodation tower. The aim is to break the stern section away from the remainder of the vessel along the line of a huge crack running round the hull. An assessment team which went on board the Napoli included the government's representative Robin Middleton. It is still holding together, but very much weaker. It could be hanging on by a thread. Once the forward section of the vessel is separated the plan is to tow it into deeper water and anchor it. Divers will assess its structure and sites will be identified where it could be towed for recycling - this could be either in Europe or the UK. The stern section, including the accommodation block, will be left where it is and will be cut up and recycled. That operation could take about a month.

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 09:35:35 AM »
"'The Napoli' has not been renamed, and is still 'MSC Napoli'. Most of my (non-shipping) friends are now sick of me correcting them, and have now taken to to calling her by her correct name."

I'm the same. I find myself practically shouting at the radio or TV screen "It's *MSC* Napoli, muppets!".

Offline Derell Licht

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 02:46:57 PM »
Not to be a stick in the mud or anything, but who really cares???

My full name is Derell Licht, but could you imagine what would happen if I got huffy every time someone called me just Derell ??
Not all those who wander are lost...

Offline David Walker

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 03:55:45 PM »

derelict wrote:
Not to be a stick in the mud or anything, but who really cares???

My full name is Derell Licht, but could you imagine what would happen if I got huffy every time someone called me just Derell ??

I take your point, but it is a symptom of a larger problem, whereby the media seem to pick and chose which parts of the story they present, and how they do it.

(I realise that a completely unbiased account of something like this is probably a bit too much to hope for)

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 04:28:02 PM »
It's to do with the fact that the media can't always be bothered to present the full facts and get lazy; for a supposedly maritime nation like the UK this isn't acceptable. Along the same lines, the ship has often been referred to as a 'boat' on several reports. If the media can't be bothered to get the ship's name right then what else can't they be bothered to get right?

An example of dodgy reporting is the exaggerated effects of the MSC Napoli incident, pointed out by a contributor to this forum who is working as one of the salvage crew.

You may not care, nor may a lot of people, but plenty of others do.

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »
HI All

The "saga" continues and the MSC Napoli is still in one piece despite the best efforts of the demolition experts - the lates story from the BBC:

More blasts plan to break up ship - Explosives were used to break up the ship for a second day running

Coastguards believe more explosives will probably have to be detonated on Friday to split a beached container ship off the Devon coast.

Explosions were triggered on the MSC Napoli, off Branscombe, on Tuesday and again at 1404 BST on Wednesday.

But an inspection revealed the vessel remained intact, although it was "hanging on by a thread".

Tugs positioned at the bow and stern will continue attempts to pull the container ship apart.

The operation is being carried out by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and the Ministry of Defence. (MoD).

MCA spokesman Paul Coley told BBC News all the explosives had gone off successfully, but more cutting charges would be used on Friday "in all probability" in a bid to obtain a clean break around the front of the accommodation tower.

The aim is to break the stern section away from the remainder of the vessel along the line of a huge crack running round the hull.

The Napoli has been stranded off Branscombe since it was damaged in a storm in January.

An assessment team which went on board the Napoli included the government's representative Robin Middleton.

Mr Coley said: "It is still holding together, but very much weaker. It could be hanging on by a thread."

Once the forward section of the vessel is separated the plan is to tow it into deeper water and anchor it.

Divers will assess its structure and sites will be identified where it could be towed for recycling in mainland Europe.

The stern section, including the accommodation block, will be left where it is and will be cut up and recycled. That operation could take about a month.

Mr Coley said the whole operation to salvage the Napoli was a "major disaster averted".

An extended exclusion zone on the shore and cliffs at Branscombe was enforced ahead of the explosion, amid fears of debris damage, but the footpaths were later reopened by the police.

The 1,000m exclusion zone around the ship remains in place and if the decision is taken to trigger more explosives on Friday, footpaths will be closed again for the public's safety.

Meantime, East Devon District Council has reminded the public that the beach as Branscome is open.

The MSC Napoli had been en route from Antwerp to South Africa when her 26 crew members abandoned ship and were flown to safety.

The ship was refloated last week but the results of a diving survey revealed the hull was severely damaged and it was beached again on Thursday.

Contractors appointed by the vessel's owners have been dealing with oil which has been coming ashore on beaches.

The pollution has prompted concerns by business leaders that it could lead to some holidaymakers cancelling summer bookings for Devon and Dorset's World Heritage Jurassic coast.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/england/devon/6905365.stm

Published: 2007/07/19 02:10:38 GMT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk