Author Topic: Cobelfret Ferries buys Ferryways  (Read 44822 times)

Offline TheMole

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Cobelfret Ferries buys Ferryways
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2007, 07:35:52 PM »
Hi Potts

Everyone hoped so although it seems to be generally accepted now that it will be a while, and that is probably months rather than weeks, for the Ferryways debacle to be sorted out first.

Cobelfret would be keen to prevent any rival operator setting up in competition although it is currently difficult for a competitor to step in while Cobelfret control the Ostend stevedoring company that holds exclusive rights to the Ferryways berths.  
Cobelfret are under threat by the Port of Ostend that they must 'use-them-or-lose-them' but it seems that they can stave off this threat at least for the time being by running limited services to their Purfleet and Killingholme terminals.

Watch this space!

Offline Dieter Pots

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2007, 08:36:04 PM »
Both Phocine and Cervine will serve Purfleet, no Killingholme sailing yet...

Regards
Check out my pictures at www.riverships.ru and www.efoplistis.gr/gallery  8-)  any questions or want to use my pictures on your website, don't hesitate to contact me. All pictures: Finepix S5000...................

Offline exferryman

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2007, 09:18:47 PM »
Hi Primrose

Makes more sense - Cobelfret supposedly have spare capacity on their existing Killingholme vessels so prolly can afford to wait until they can get some more tonnage in place.

Also expect they will want things to cool off a bit before risking any union action by the Killingholme dockers (who are mostly all related to or buddies with the guys at Exxtor Immingham)

Watch out that TSL are not next in line for a friendly Cobelfret take-over!!

Cheers
exferryman

Offline bram provost

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2007, 11:39:30 PM »
What some people forget or dont know is that cobelfret simply cannot start a service to killingholme or any other port as the services from ostend are still runned by the 2 experts and lawyer appointed by the court; cobelfret/dart line have not much to say. (with not much i mean nothing)

i expect they will start to sail to killingholme in 2 weeks time as then the control would be back in cobelfret/dart line. In two weeks time the agreement between port of ostend and cobelfret/dart line will be signed.

for shipspotters its a real pity the phocine and cervine arrive in ostend during evening/night. so its impossible to take photos of them (exept the 20.00h arrival of phocine)

the port of oostende is also talking with a new company to start another freightservice. (perhaps this could be where ipswich comes in??)

Offline TheMole

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2007, 08:24:28 AM »
The UK Office of Fair Trading are currently looking at the Cobelfret/Ferryways takeover in order to see if it qualifies for investigation under the Enterprise Act.

Can't wait!

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2007, 07:28:36 AM »
Noticed on the Port of London web-site that PHOCINE arrived Purfleet 0707 hrs local today 21.6.07.  Perhaps things may be getting back to normal !!!!

Offline frederik

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.havenarbeiders.be/forum
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2007, 07:27:03 PM »
30 crewmembers are captive at sea. 2 old Ferryways-vessels are anchored just outside the port of Ostend. The 5 vessels are now owned by Roroco, a subsidiary of Cobelfret. The creditors impose an embargo on the vessels. The other 3 vessels are in the port of Ostend, also confiscated.
The vessels are confiscated by an English judge on the request of the creditors, most of them are bunker company's.
The vessels relief each other at the anchorage.

greetz,

frederik
Proud to be a Belgian docker!

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2007, 09:51:46 PM »
Well I just feel sorry for those former Ferryways employees who are apparently not being paid. Presumably amongst these people are the ones you refer to Frederik stuck off Ostende? What a nightmare situation to be in and one that should not be allowed to happen in this day and age  :-(
Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline exferryman

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2007, 09:49:31 AM »
Dear John
Thank you for your sympathy.   The UK Ferryways employees have indeed been thrown out still owed wages and redundancy money which we are told we will not receive.  We all now have to rely on government handouts.

The Belgian staff have been fired and re-employed by Dartline.  Seemingly Cobelfret cannot do to them in Belgium so easily what they have managed to do to the UK staff and some 're-structuring' and 're-organisation' is necessary before they can dump on our Belgian colleagues.

Do not forget also the dozens of dock workers and small companies that depended on Ferryways for a livelihood that are also soon to be made redundant or go out of business.

Indeed, how Cobelfret's callous actions towards their employees, driven by nothing more than corporate greed, can be allowed in this day and age surely beggars belief.

Offline frederik

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
Hi exferryman,

It is a sad story, specially for the former Ferryways UK-employees and the seafares on the Ferryways vessels. I hope that a UK or Belgian court of law can take actions so that this people can receive their salary.

greetz,

frederik

Offline exferryman

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2007, 07:54:33 PM »
Thanks Frederik

The ferry crews will be OK.  Cobelfret transferred the Ferryways ferries to another Cobelfret company, RoRoCo, before making Ferryways bankrupt.

Regards
exferryman

Offline ferryold

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2007, 05:48:54 AM »
The only thing is, that probably Cobelfret don't want their ships. They have alraedy old tonnage (Dart ship's) and their fleet isn't becomming any younger. Furthermore, i don't know, even if they sail with the WAY's the crew are going to be ok, cheap crew's (Ferryways) can always be cheaper (Cobelfret).... :-x

Offline frederik

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2007, 01:35:42 PM »
Hi,

I have noticed that the Ferryways vessels are no longer anchored just outside the port of Ostend but that they have moved to the Westhinder Anchorage, more deeper in the North Sea. At this moment I see only 1 vessel in the port of Ostend, the Humber Way. The Flanders Way, Ipswich Way and Anglian Way are anchored at the Westhinder Anchorage. Have no idea where the Ostend Way is at this moment.
Let's hope for the crews that they don't have to stay there very long, I don't think it is a plaesant place to spent your day's.

greetz,

frederik

Offline CHIPS

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »
Has anybody got any more news about Ferryways.
I did hear today from a haulier that in and out of Purfleet can take 3 to 4 hours now, very slow! Also customers are now paying about

Offline Ian G Hardie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12:27 PM »
The Port of London website has the IPSWICH WAY arriving at Thames europort from Ostend on Monday 09/07 at 8.15 for Cobelfret

Regards
Ian
[color=0000FF]dumpieship[/color]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk