Author Topic: MSC Napoli Sinking  (Read 131077 times)

Offline Bjoern Eddy Engelbrethsen

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Norske skip 1850-2023
Re: MSC Napoli Sinking
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2007, 07:48:54 PM »
Hello all shiplovers.
Saw on Norwegian news (NRK and TV2) today, and some earlier days that thy say that the ship in the channel is named NAPOLI. Sent an irritated mail to both newschannels today and told them that the ship is named MSC NAPOLI!!!.

Not a big case, but as a newschannel I expect them both to use the correct name on a newsobject. Even if it's a ship!!

I will wait and see!! Maybe change at next news??
Best regards
Bj

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2007, 08:03:57 PM »
It's the same on UK news. Our local radio station keeps calling the ship 'Napoli' - I end up shouting 'MSC NAPOLI - give the poor thing her proper name!!' at the set...

Offline Input_2007

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2007, 08:16:36 PM »
Might as well remove this too :-(

Offline Input_2007

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2007, 08:34:55 PM »

Offline marapito

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • http://lyttelton.nz.googlepages.com/
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »
It now seems likely that the MSC Napoli, largest container ship in the world when launched in 1991, will be left on the beach and cut up where she lies - a task that could take up to a year to complete. As the Dutch salvors and other experts are now onboard and presumably have carried out a thorough inspection this could perhaps indicate that the vessel is far more seriously damaged than first thought.

Offline Input_2007

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »

Offline ralf_03

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2007, 09:04:44 PM »
In Reply to Input_2007 posted on  2007/1/23 15:16

I have only a question instead of an answer for you:

What should foreign insurers do against pilferage, if the police is doing nothing against it ? Should the Insurers send armed forces ? In my opinion it is the responsibility of the authority to protect foreign property and to arrest the criminals.
The insurers have to wait, because a salvage team is officialy   assigned and is not allowed to send their own salvage teams.
To your question about the costs for cleaning: This should be born by the insurers of the vessel / carrier. But I do not know, if GA is declared and the costs will be allocated to all  parties concerned.
For further questions do not hesitate to ask again.

Ralf

Offline portagent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=3218
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2007, 09:37:47 PM »
... same on all German TV stations. All reporting about "Napoli" only. Maybe they think MSC stands for MotorShipContainer  :-D
dead slow ahead !  :-)
best regards, Klaus

Offline Ga

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fortunes-de-mer.com
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2007, 09:52:50 PM »
Regarding the current situation, cargo insurers can't do anything. They just have to wait and to see what happens.
In an all risks coverage, the assureds will be reimbursed for their losses (insurance value) and cargo insurers will put a claim against the carrier.
In addition to the "damage claim", cargo insurers will have to born their part in the General Average which will be probably declared by the owners.
Regarding the hull side, hull underwriters will have to pay the Constructive Total Loss (probably). In addition, they will have to pay their share in the general average.
Regarding the cleaning, it will probably paid by the P&I club (London P&I).
If any queries about these subject, do not hesitate

Offline marapito

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2007, 11:30:32 PM »
Historical Asides

After the the Second World War the Flotto Lauro line of Naples ventured into the emigrant market, with the converted freighters Ravello, Olimpia and Napoli.  In 1987 the Mediterranean Shipping Company also of Naples acquired the vessels of Achille Lauro, who had inherited his first ships in 1912.

MSC Monterey, a 55 year-old MSC cruise ship still in service, was originally built for the United States Maritime Commission in 1952 as the Pine Tree Mariner; a C-4 cargo vessel (together with a sister ship Mariposa). Since then the ship has had a long life and several owners. In 1956 it was sold to the Matson Navigation Company of San Francisco, and rebuilt as a 14,799 ton passenger ship, for voyages to Australia and New Zealand. In 1989, MSC Monterey was acquired by StarLauro Crociere, passing to MSC in 1995.

Offline maz_atenza

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2007, 12:58:42 AM »
personal edit

Offline Tim Twichell

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2007, 01:46:19 AM »
In Reply to marapito's post:

Why would you say it is likely to be cut up on the beaching area?? I have not seen any sign that would be the case here...yet. If the ship is able to be unloaded, I beleve that Smit will attempt to tow her off in one piece. Unless ther weather pounds her to pieces that is outcome I supect will occur. Vessels in far worse shape than this one have been taken into port in one piece... many hundreds of times. Her back is not broken yet, and when lightend she will be fairly decent to handle I beleve. Somehow people always assume the worst...The Hyundai Fortune comes to mind.Quite a few posts here had her sunk, blown to bits, hopeless etc. Well the vessel is saved and in port for sale thanks to Wijsmullers experts. Have some faith in these Dutch salvors, they are the very best in the world and have been for nearly 200 years.

Offline marapito

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2007, 02:28:07 AM »
In reply to TimT

Reported in a news item relayed on

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=9645

Estimated costs of salvage are in the region of US$15-20 million.  The back half is the valuable bit.

Offline maz_atenza

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2007, 03:13:19 AM »
see my post on page 12

SALVING the MSC Napoli could cost $15 to $20m should the vessel break up, according to salvage experts.

Offline Input_2007

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2007, 03:58:17 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk