Author Topic: France/Norway/Blue Lady video at Alang  (Read 10560 times)

Offline Charles McAllister

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
France/Norway/Blue Lady video at Alang
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:32:14 AM »
This video trailer was just uploaded today.  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgdPG1gTwwg&NR

Sad scenes at Alang now.  I wonder if there is really any chance she can be saved, or if the Indian High Court's postponement of a decision until March is  simply a tactic intended to allow time for publicity to fade away.  I read some reports claiming that India would not allow the Dubai group to revive the ship because that would make India look bad.  Very sad, indeed, if a once-great ship is allowed to be broken up because of misplaced national pride.
Best,

Charles

Offline Phil Ciborowski

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: France/Norway/Blue Lady video at Alang
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:49:10 AM »
That is great video...  the documentary looks very nice as well.

yesterday 3 bodies were found in a ship of workers that had been missing for a month... im sure that news like this will keep things focused on how things are done over there.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:03:30 AM »
I don't see how india can block the ship going to the dubai group.  If the Indian High Court orders the ship out of Indian waters and returned to it previous owners Star Cruises and they then sell the ship to the Dubai Group.

So I am told there is also some action underway in Germany, that if the Indian High Court orders the ship out could see the ship being returned to Germany where the German Government are coping some flak with regards to the ship leaving in the first place.

Oh well we shall have to wait till March now to in theory find out her fate.

Offline Phil Ciborowski

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:41:03 AM »
I hope that NCL really gets screwed for this, but they wont. They have lied and have acted very "under the table" in their dealings about this ship... and now the real sad thing is they own a national historic landmark (the United States) which needs TLC bad, as she is rusting away, but if nothing is done soon, she too will end up on that beach...

And just recently they had her ownership papers transfered so that she is no longer registered in the us... i only can only imagine what that means.

Offline marc reynaert

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 09:44:23 AM »
Greetings,
I've seen that video,i think it is very sad to see a vessel like that will turn into scrap.Afther her many years of service.
What i hate the most is,the way that it will be done,on a beach in Alang.Where people are working in conditions,that
we cannot think of.Also the pollusion to the enviroment.This should be stopped,many years the company's making handsfull of profit,and on the end,they dont pay off to a proper way of scrapping these vessels.On a scrapcompany like that,people get killed in no time.They get almost no money,and they have to work likes slaves,and if they get killed in a accident,the family who's left behind,get no money at all,if they are lucky they can stay on the company's ground to live further in poverty.
Get these company's to court,and lett them pay off.
Regards
Marc
inlandvessels i like.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 12:54:36 PM »
I thought that there way some document in place that protected the United States from a fate similair to the France/Norway/Blue Lady?

I guess we can only hope that these grand ships can be saved from the scrapers tourch.

Offline Phil Ciborowski

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 05:53:27 PM »
Yea that would be the Federal Gov't designation as a nastional historic landmark...the way around that is to register the ship outside the US, which NCL has just done.

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:51:05 PM »
The Blue Lady continues to sit high and dry at Alang while various parties try to work out how to handle the estimated 700 tons of toxic material (asbestos) still on board her. Following report from Fairplay this week:

NEW DELHI 07 September

Jim Winsor 53

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 02:24:48 AM »
The ship is dying.It is suffering a slow agonizing death.A fate worse than TITANIC.At least TITANIC is resting peacefully on the bottom some numerious miles down.NORWAY or BLUE LADY as she is called these days I guess is suffering at the hands of man not the way a gracefull liner such as this should see her end.At least she could have been taken out and sunk for a reef or taken near the TITANIC site and put to rest there.I think any way. :-(  :-(  :-(

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 08:17:26 AM »
Marc,

It sounds like you've been reading too much Greenpeace propaganda  :-o

Take a look here:

http://www.sriaindia.com/safety_measures.html

The whole pollution, asbestos, etc issue is over-hyped by activists who have a clear political agenda. Don't be fooled.  :-x

Phil

Offline Reinier Meuleman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 08:43:45 AM »
Hi Phil

I fully agree with you about the stupidity of Greenpeace and their ignorent followers

Regards

Reinier Meuleman
Hobbies, aerial pictures, shipping pictures in general.

Offline Derell Licht

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
In either case, it looks as though India is preparing to proceed with breaking her up...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6988763.stm

Partial quote:
"A former ocean liner can be broken up in India despite concerns it contains toxic waste, the Supreme Court says.

The judgement came after experts were asked to decide if it was safe to scrap the Blue Lady at the giant breaking yard at Alang in western Gujarat state. "
Not all those who wander are lost...

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
From Lloyds List this week:

Greenlight India says Blue Lady can be scrapped
Shirish Nadkarni Mumbai
Wednesday 12 September 2007
INDIA

Offline locarno

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 01:00:59 PM »
Hi,
by any chance does any one have any new pictures to post. has the cutting actually now begun?
thank you
Daniel

Offline Kier Shackleton Gigeroff

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://Website under construction on CCG vessels
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 03:23:42 PM »
Very sad story indeed. Really idiotic that they will commence with the scrapping of this vessel if it does in fact contain hundreds of tonnes of toxic waste. And if Greenpeace and other such environmental groups are "stupid" (as stated by one of our members), there still would be a possibility that there is toxic waste on board (I don't see what's so hard to believe about that) - it should be further investigated. Peoples lives are at stake.

I think that working at Alang would be just about one of the worst jobs in the world, but I guess they cannot work anywhere  else. I think that unsafe ship-scrapping should be banned, and yards such as Alang can either conform to new international safety standards or go out of business.

I always find it sad to see ships be broken up, and if I had my way they would all be made into museums, but then there would be a hell of a lot of museums out there.

Kier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk