Author Topic: Some usernames are truncated  (Read 999 times)

Offline Weserphoto

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Some usernames are truncated
« on: October 06, 2023, 03:27:15 PM »

A certain number of usernames are truncated if there is an 'umlaut' (äöü) or another special character in their username.

For example:

- Andreas Sp
- Andreas St
- Andreas Schr
- Frank Schl
- Joachim Sj
- Matthias P
- Ren

... and so on.

Regards,
Weserphoto

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Some usernames are truncated
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 06:07:07 PM »
Shipspotting does not like a character set larger than 7 bit. This disrespect of other spellings than English is intentional. The reason is, I understand, the limitations of standard use of standard keyboards.

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
    • My photos on Shipspotting.com
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 06:16:45 PM »
Shipspotting does not like a character set larger than 7 bit. This disrespect of other spellings than English is intentional. The reason is, I understand, the limitations of standard use of standard keyboards.

Actually itsfoto, the truncated user names is a bug which occurred after the latest maintenance and it will be fixed as soon as possible.

The only way we INTENTIONALLY limit other spellings is in the Ship Name field, where only characters found in the English alphabet are allowed. That is to retain the simplicity / consistency when searching for ship names. Otherwise we'd end up having for example these spellings for the same name: ÅLBORG, ALBORG, AALBORG etc.

Best regards,
Aleksi

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 08:52:57 PM »
Well, simplicity one might call it.

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 09:02:49 PM »
Do you have some improvement ideas...?

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 08:52:57 AM »
I'd like to think that allowing a 8-bit character set would be a considerable improvement.
Knowing of the problems that a normal keyboard layout causes, especially with notebooks and smartphones, a workaround for some of the most relevant characters could probably be offered as an addition to the format-and-emoji-button section, wherever applicable (such as for comments, (advanced) search, forum and, of course, upload). This addition could be a list, such as this below, so characters in question can be copied and pasted. Surely members can help to identify the most relevant list. It's a bit clunky, admitted, but I didn't design the keyboards.

æ Æ ø Ø å Å ä Ä ö Ö ü Ü ß ç Ç

Uwe
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 09:30:53 AM by itsfoto »

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 09:49:38 AM »
As far as I know, all those letters can be used in comments, on the forum, in photos' Description field etc.

So we have one limit regarding that, and that is the Ship Name field where they are not allowed, like I already wrote.

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 10:08:09 AM »
The question remains, how and why is that better?

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 10:28:40 AM »
The answer remains, so you will find one ship with one search, not having to guess the correct spelling and make several search attempts.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 11:12:49 AM »
Also, limiting the shipname field to standard English alphabet, without additional letters or diacriticals, aligns searching with the most-used international databases, eg Equasis, Lloyd's, SeaWeb, MarineTraffic etc

Precise language practices can also vary, eg diacriticals often not used on capital letters (Liberté = LIBERTE, rather than LIBERTÉ.

Users (members and visitors) will usually search with what they already know - from a directory/database or from what they see on the ship.  It's not better for them if they only find half of what they are looking for, or none at all.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 07:23:53 AM »
IMHO the ship's name should always be spelled exactly like in international databases and written in ALL CAPS in "searchable data fields".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk