Author Topic: Can we have the pages back?  (Read 840 times)

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Can we have the pages back?
« on: September 26, 2023, 03:20:35 PM »
So I scroll, say 100 photos down. Then I click on a photo to see the larger version of it, click back to go back to the thumbnails and the photo I just viewed is now on the top of the page of thumbnails. I find it rather inconvenient because all the other previous photos are now not visible unless I go back to the main page and scroll down again. I preffered the previous version where we had pages.
Any thoughts?

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Can we have the pages back?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 05:14:14 PM »
You do right-click on thumbnail - open in new tab, or click on thumbnail while holding Ctrl, so it will open in new tab.
That's how I scroll while having some 100 or more photos opened in tabs.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 06:14:22 AM »
This "dynamic listing" also makes it impossible to quickly jump somewhere in the middle of the category. You always have to start scrolling from either the beginning or from the end. I wonder how slow the page will become once you've reached halfway through a category with a few hundred thousand photographs...

Oh well, that's how everyone else does it in these days so it must be the best way. At least on this website the photographs remain in the same order if you mis-click and have to start loading the category from scratch. In social media such as Facebook and Instagram, the "smart" algorithm will shuffle the posts every time you load the page, so if you accidentally click something, you can never return to the same "list".

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2023, 12:25:43 PM »
Today I actually ran into a problem with "endless scrolling".

I recalled seeing some interesting photographs in one of the categories and wanted to show them to my colleague. I had a rough idea when I had found them for the first time, but as I could not "jump ahead", I started scrolling starting from the newest photographs. Few thousand photographs into the collection site had become quite sluggish and slow in showing more photographs. Eventually I just gave up.

With traditional "pages", I could have jumped forward 10 or 100 pages at a time until the dates began to look familiar.

This "endless scrolling" or dynamic gallery view essentially makes a large part of the collection "hard to reach" unless you know exactly what you're looking for and can find them with the search function.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk