Author Topic: How does that "search" button by ship's name on "upload" page work?  (Read 825 times)

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
When I upload photos, I enter the ship's name and click on the "search" button,( the looking glass icon) beside it. More often then not, the window that pops up says "no ship found", whether the the exact name box is checked or not. I then find the IMO on marinetrafic, upload the photo and there are many photos of the given ship with the same name I entered.
What gives?
Why does this search button sometimes find the ship and sometimes does not even if the ship is already on SS with the same name?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: How does that "search" button by ship's name on "upload" page work?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 08:55:24 AM »
Hi Csaba,

Thanks for noticing this, and your problem has been forwarded to IT.  In the meantime, changing the order of uploading could be the second best solutiuon, by first looking for the IMO number elsewhere, and then doing a search function on the site. I realise it does not solve the problem, there are many ships without IMO number,  but at least it will cover a great deal of the fleet.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 04:30:35 PM »
Thanks Pieter,
Cheers

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 07:19:02 AM »
Csaba, I got some info about how the search function works. In the uploading function, the search is linked to the ship data base, (the former Gross Tonnage stuff), and not in all cases it does what you can expect on the basis of the photos presented on the site.  It is a rather complicated process. but to keep it simple, if you want to know what ship is on the site, or the IMO number of a ship, use the (advanced) search function, that is available here

https://www.shipspotting.com/photos/search?advanced=1&shipName=&shipNameSearchMode=begins

it will give you the correct answer and will avoid having the troubles you had earlier.

So the best advice I can is, when you start uploading, make sure that you know which ship you are exactly dealing with.

Hope this helps.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 07:50:20 PM »
Thanks Pieter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk