Author Topic: Funny rare lucky cases during ship spotting?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
Funny rare lucky cases during ship spotting?
« on: January 19, 2023, 10:01:03 PM »
Something that can be called like that, something hilarious, maybe impossible...

Happened such today. I was walking along the port in my city of Kaliningrad, going to see the offshore tug BALKHAN - suddenly spotted her on Marintetraffic at the local ship repair yard a day earlier - docked at the exact same spot at which I took pics of her almost 15 years ago back in July 2008 (can be found in my first uploads on this site). That tug is usually on-standby at the Lukoil's D-6 oil rig & it's a rare case when it would come all the way to Kaliningrad because the Lukoil's terminal is near Svetlyy.  Besides it's a special ship, since my father sailed on her as 2nd mate back in the years.
So, while walking along the port I was looking at whatever was visible there - our KRUZENSHTERN, SEDOV, some other ships, mostly everything was obstructed, so no point in taking pics there. Suddenly at one certain spot I saw far in the background 4 raised white booms (with distinctive black tips) of deck cranes, everything else of the ship obstructed - it took like 3 seconds for me to figure it out: "OH! That looks like the GREEN CRYSTAL! That reefer I saw back in July 2003...  almost 20 years ago... or well, it could be any of several sisterships, I mean... coooool! 20 years ago & yet now, outta sudden..."
I realized there would be no way of taking pics of her since she was docked in inconvenient place & was very obstructed, so I continued going to see the BALKHAN...

Then at home I remembered to check Marinetraffic what was that reefer anyway - I clicked on it's icon which showed it's indeed the GREEN CRYSTAL!  Lol, could you believe it?  Not only suddenly & finally seeing the same ship I saw 20 years ago (I still have a pencil sketch I drew of her while standing near) but even guessing the correct ship by just it's cranes, I mean it could have been any of her sisterships.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 10:07:55 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: Funny rare lucky cases during ship spotting?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 07:48:41 AM »
Hi Denis, interesting story, and I know that I have shots of ships taken in my B&W period (80-88) that reappeared under the same name when I went digital (2012) but I can't remember from the top of my head which ones.  Just wondering about your walk in the port, it is free to go there and shoot whatever you want?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 07:50:57 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 08:01:55 AM »
Luckiest for me was while working at Felixstowe I took a quick lunch break to the viewing area just in time for "The Victoria" arriving - this was back in the days of no internet so I had no idea she was due in.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 01:53:08 PM »
After flying halfway round the world for work in San Francisco back in 2002 I went down to the harbour knowing every vessel would be new ... LOL. The first incoming ship was the containership RIVER ELEGANCE which I had seen before at Felixstowe  :) Couldn't believe it. Only good thing was that she was in COSCO colours.

https://www.shipspotting.com/photos/361992?navList=gallery&shipName=RIVER+ELEGANCE&shipNameSearchMode=begins&page=2&viewType=normal&sortBy=newest

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 03:04:40 PM »
An interesting case right now: I was looking at vessels in port in my hometown, one of them was BARENTS. Then I looked at which one's coming in & it was... another BARENTS, lol!
2 completely different unrelated vessels:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:363256/mmsi:305059000/imo:9356866/vessel:BARENTS
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:204585/mmsi:273385970/imo:9278600/vessel:BARENTS
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 03:06:57 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk