Author Topic: Why is "Vancouver, Canada" missing as a location?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Why is "Vancouver, Canada" missing as a location?
« on: November 16, 2022, 05:30:06 AM »
Well, not entirely missing. When I entered Vancouver as a location, as I have done in the past, what shows up is "Vancouver Roberts Bank" and "Vancouver Berrypoint" . Both of these places are very, very far from me and there are many other places a ship can be when in Vancouver. What happened to just "Vancouver, Canada" that we had before? I tried entering just that and the website apparently crashed and the message appeared saying "service unavailable".
Thoughts?

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Why is "Vancouver, Canada" missing as a location?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 08:40:54 PM »
csaba....

Just read your post.  As you indicated, "Vancouver" was there as a location. Now, it's (more or less) missing...!  While Roberts Bank and Berry Point come under the jurisdiction of the port authority, according to port interactive map, they are not within Vancouver port proper (as indicated on map). Roberts Bank as you are aware is approx 25 NM down the coast (Delta) and Berrypoint is beyond the 2nd Narrows Bridge (Inside Burrard Inlet). On the interactive map the port of Vancouver "proper" extends from Vancouver Wharves PMK Marine Terminal on the North Shore (Just inside Lions Gate bridge) to Lynnterm/Cascadia wharves just before the 2nd narrows bridge. Given the number of terminals (16) inside these boundaries, perhaps the folks at Shipspotting will reinstate "Vancouver" as a location unto its own. This would of course include the numerous anchorage zones located in English Bay.

andre

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 02:47:05 AM »
Thanks andre. I didn't know that Berrypoint referrers to the place East of  2nd narrows bridge. When I googled it, only Berrypoint on Gabriola island showed up. General location of "Vancouver, Canada" was a good one, then the more precise location in the description.
I find it quite awkward to have to enter an incorrect location only to have to describe that it is incorrect and describe the correct one.
Admins, please bring "Vancouver, Canada" back :-)

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2022, 01:10:05 PM »
Hi Casaba, Andrecas,

I've reinstated Vancouver as location.

Cheers
Hugo Vieira
Dev Team for http://Shipspotting.com

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 02:01:27 PM »
Hugo....

Many thanks prompt reply and reinstatement.

Brgds,

andre

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 03:57:15 PM »
Thank you Hugo for quick action :-)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 01:48:35 AM »
Another one that has gone missing is "Falmouth UK".  The existing photos still have it, and it is in the menu for Advanced Search, but it has gone from the "auto-suggest" on upload/editing.  But "Falmouth Antigua & Barbuda" is now duplicated.

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 08:26:45 AM »
Hi David,

Thanks for reporting this.
I've fixed Falmouth for UK and Antigua & Barbuda.

Nice to hear from you,
Cheers
Hugo Vieira
Dev Team for http://Shipspotting.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk