Author Topic: David Asprey - Thank You  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Andre Brandao

• Administrator
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
David Asprey - Thank You
« on: February 16, 2023, 06:21:09 PM »
Dear users of Shipspotting

It is my sad duty to announce the abdication of our webmaster, David Asprey. David has been webmaster since the passing of Ken Smith, initially as a member of a group of four webmasters, but since many years David carried out the tasks on his own.

His knowledge of the shipping scene, especially of the smallest of ships and his research qualities, have helped many of you in dealing with questions which seemed unanswerable. In his last year David was actively involved in the revamp of our site and put forward many valuable inputs. David has chosen to give up his function for personal reasons, giving absolute priority to his family life. I can only respect that and on behalf of all of you I want to wish him all the best for the future.

Best regards

Andre Brandao, Site owner

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: David Asprey - Thank You
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 02:54:53 AM »
In concert with Andre Brandao's post, I would like to express my appreciation for David Asprey,  for his many years of involvement with Shipspotting.com.  With David's shipping knowledge and input and numerous interactions with members over the years, his dedication to the site was so very evident.  David was very generous with his time. He was always willing to take the time and have a 2nd look at a suspect image.
I found David to be fair in his assessment, providing an explanation for the reason why the image either did not meet site standards, or in other instances allowing a photo to remain on site. I am sure it was never easy having to adjudicate some borderline cases.
My sincere best wishes to David and his family in the future.

andre (andrecas)

Offline James McQuarrie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 12:46:46 PM »
All the best David with what you do!!!

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 02:48:40 AM »
Thank you, boss Andr

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 07:36:50 AM »
Thank you David, for your most encouraging words and all your good work during your time as webmaster. I feel proud to be allowed to take over the helm, and, as you rightly mention during a period where we have the fullest support of the IT team and a dedicated site owner, who, like all of us here is above all a ship lover and not a business man who likes to make a profit out of Shipspotting. He has has other and very successful ways for that.

You do mention in your post the thorny subject of deletions. The main thorns though have been taken away by introducing two subtle but very effective measures. The "considered for deletion category" is now only visible to admins and the photographer who posted the targeted shot. This allows the admins to quietly discuss with the photographer the reasons for deletion and to offer help in case these reasons can be mitigated. There are no longer public discussions of "users vs admins" that sometimes even went personal. This change has actual been a condition for me to accept responsibility for making deletions. I do not want to be subject in public discussion. The second change is that admins and photographer can enhance existing photos, without having to post them as a new photo, so keeping the number of views and the comments with the original shot. I do help several photographers in enhancing their shots (especially digitised analogue shots) before posting, but since this latter change I simply look at what they post and then enhance these if necessary.

Under these new "conditions" work has been pleasant, and probably not as time consuming as it used to be. I hope to able to continue in this way in future years, going up to 4 millions shots in no time.   

Offline peter j. fitzpatrick

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 12:55:48 PM »
thank you David , for all your hard work on this website, we have had many communications through our time here and on other sites
although I don't post here anymore, I still think this is a great reference site , and with miramar , always helps for identity of unknowns
I hope all goes well for you in the future
please keep in touch
my best regards
Peter j.fitzpatrick

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2023, 07:25:38 PM »
Thank you for your time and effort in keeping this website the great place it is. We were always able to have open and honest conversations between admins with respect for everyone's point of view. I always found a listening ear with you for guidance or second opionions. I wish you all the best for the future and many happy moments with your grandchildren. Family is the most important thing there is and I hope you can enjoy every moment.

Kind regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2023, 08:46:14 PM »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 10:17:25 AM »
Thank you dear friends for your kind thoughts.
We got through some sticky times - but the site and its management is now in a much better place now, for the future.

Offline Tomislav Raymondi

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 02:32:34 PM »
Thank you very much David for your advice and help to improve the quality of my photos, I am also very sorry and from the bottom of my heart for your painful loss, but family is first and foremost in everyone's life.

The reason for the delay in expressing my support for your work as a webmaster was because I was prohibited from accessing and using the forum on my PC, but for a strange reason I can enter the forum and PM using my wife's PC.

Best wishes

Tomi.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2023, 09:52:31 AM »
Your kind thoughts are much appreciated, Tomi.
I suppose that you and your wife have different security software and/or settings on your devices.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk