Author Topic: Miramar Subscriptions  (Read 8078 times)

Offline gwrdave

• Quite a regular
  • Lets talk about it
    • View Profile
Miramar Subscriptions
« on: September 07, 2022, 12:58:17 AM »
Can any body help with my Miramar subscription, as I live in New Zealand I have an option of paying by direct credit from my account to a NZ Bank account, this has worked in the past. I informed via email to [email protected] that I had done so. So far after several emails my subscription has run out and am unable to contact Miramar at their address to see what's happening. Does any body know if this is the correct email address or how I can contact them.
Thanks in advance,
Dave Gallie (gwrdave)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:40:29 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline tropic maritime images

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Miramar Subscrptions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 04:43:38 AM »
G'Day Dave,

I don't have any details, but I believe that Rodger who runs Miramar recently passed away. I would hope that someone will take over, but it may take a little while to sort out.

Cheers,
tropic

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 07:12:38 AM »
That is very sad news, Miramar has been a mainstay in maritime research so for many years. Hope there will be a solution for the estate.

Offline Brent Hanson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 10:31:46 AM »
Hi Dave and community
Sad to confirm Rodger did pass away 25.8 (I'll send you the bereavement details seperately Dave) aged 80, and funeral 2.9.
The matter of continuation is unclear, no clear successor but some well intentioned associates will see how can be maintained. Understand Rodger had a whole room of Lloyds Registers so as well as new stuff, the old stuff was being attended to.
He was quite a gentleman and his endeavours were well supported by his wife Marion, who coincidentally had previously been married to another kiwi shipping historian and stalwart Paddy Leahy, whose shipping notes provide an encyclopaedic New Zealand shipping history from post-ww2 war years to the 1990's when he passed away way too young (56).
I must be one of many to make good use of the Miramar site and the worst case scenario is not wanted to be contemplated, but Rodger's passion will be hard to replicate.
Its a case of awaiting further developments for now and pleasing to note site still functioning as usual.
Cheers
Brent

Offline Brent Hanson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 09:30:49 AM »
Apologies, I had not passed on the update.
One last list of amendments Roger had started were posted and there will be no further uploads.
The family will maintain the site while they still have subscriptions to see out. For continued use of the database the best option will be to purchase the cd version before the site closes.
Cheers
Brent

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 12:31:22 PM »
Hi Brent,

Thanks for the update. It is quite ominous to read that there are plans to close the site. Does that mean that the site will not be accessible any more, or just that the final update will result in the finale version of the site?

Cheers

Pieter

Offline Brent Hanson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 06:39:10 PM »
Hi Peter
I have heard nothing further on its future, maybe repeating myself but the family wants to honour current paid subscriptions as best they can and will keep it going for now. They would be aware some such as mine are multi-year but certainly won't be any work on it after uploading the last of Rodgers file updates. After that is uncertain and always risk of any major site failure not being fixed, so has been recommended to me buy the cd that the site advertises to at least have copy of the current records
Cheers

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 06:21:45 PM »
Thanks Brent, my subscriptions run until April, so there is some time to consider what to do.

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 08:57:49 AM »
oh dear that is really sad! I love that database and was in touch with Rodger quite a few times.
My condolences to his family and I hope someone will find a way to keep the database running.

Sound like a plan to order a CD indeed before everything is closed.

Best,
Ralph

Offline Geoffrey Watson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://-
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2022, 12:12:01 PM »
Wonder of somebody can help. I was sorry to hear about Rodger.
I paid $50 for a disk as suggested on here. That was over a month ago. Not received any disk or heard anything from the family.
Does anybody know if they are being sent out? My payment through on my credit card.
Thanks.
[color=000033]Geoff. Watson[/color]

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2022, 03:36:14 PM »
From the website:

Rodger founded the

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 08:35:12 AM »
I made the annual payment to Miramar in the last years for me and on behalf of 2 friends with my credit card.
Then contacted Rodger by mail, asking to assign the 3 payment to our 3 german accounts, within 1 or 2 days he followed my request.

On beginning of this January I made the same procedure, but after several eMails to [email protected]  there was no answer from Miramar.

Then I saw that Rodger has passed away in September 22 and that his stepson will continue the site.

I hope he will do before the accounts of my friends will expire. My account is now valid until 26. January 2026.
When the payments were not assigned to the 2 accounts of my friends I will give them the log-in-datas for my account so that they can use Miramar for another year.

A very confused situation.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 01:59:08 PM »
Does this mean if I renew my subscription (due next month) I will still be able to access the site albeit without any more updates?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 05:01:02 PM »
From what we understood the site will be taken offline after all the subscriptions have expired.
What remains is the option to but the database on CDRom, with last update made in August 2022.
My subscription will expire in April, so by that I will probably have bought a copy.

Offline Geoffrey Watson

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://-
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 07:46:01 AM »
Hi - I sent for the disk (and paid) last October. Nothing received, or any communication.
[color=000033]Geoff. Watson[/color]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk