Author Topic: What happened to Shipspotting.com ?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
What happened to Shipspotting.com ?
« on: August 31, 2022, 10:47:06 AM »
I've noticed that my recent uploads have had very few views.
Had a look at views for images posted over the last week and most have <5 views !!!
So much for the new-look website.
It's been a dismal failure and shipspotting.com is as good as dead now.
What a disaster it's been.

Offline Simon Harrack

• Top Poster
  • Shipspotting is my life!
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Shipspotting.com ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 10:54:05 AM »
I doubt that it was a mistake. The problem is a technical error with the views. The image was clicked by many, but the views are not counted. This is not due to the disinterest of the page.

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 12:01:57 PM »
It's like throwing photos into the void. Unless you're lucky enough to have someone comment on your photo, they go relatively unseen.

Offline Brent Hanson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 06:26:01 PM »
Not necessarily Owen et al, the "few of us" that do see your work really appreciate the results. I do anyway, your name amongst many more is a sign there are some interesting postings to look forward, especially in our "downunder" backyard. Keep at it.
Cheers
Brent

Offline seaweasel

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 06:54:17 PM »
Hello everybody,

I'm afraid Cody and Owen are right, the interest in this site has become minimal and it's really sad what has happened to a once excellent site. IT-team and admins, don't you see this development ? Why don't we hear anything from you about the poor condition of this site ? Where is the spirit gone ? Don't give up the efforts to improve this site, it's still possible and worthwile but the time could be running out soon. Many people will resume their contributions if the necessary fixing of problems (e.g. correct counting of clicks) is being done by those responsible. If not, more and more persons will loose their remaining interest in this website and choose other options. But don't forget, the photo uploads from spirited people all over the world are the foundation of this site, which simply wouldn't exist without them....

Words like "World's Central for Ship Photography and Information" are not sufficient but rather a bit ridiculous, instead swift action is required.

Regards, Hans

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 06:31:57 AM »
It's like throwing photos into the void. Unless you're lucky enough to have someone comment on your photo, they go relatively unseen.

That has always been the case....

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 07:21:05 AM »
The problem with the views count is actually really easy to fix; IT should just implement a small software fix that multiplies the number of views by 10. :)

People (yes, even shipspotters!) DO like to see some interest expressed towards the photos they upload. The feeling that they are "thrown into the void" (well said!) are a major factor that turns people away from the new design of this site.

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 07:44:25 AM »
That has always been the case....
Not like it is recently.
It was common to see 20-30 views, but <5 views for the majority of images uploaded in the last week is something else.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 08:35:32 AM »
I think it's exactly the opposite from what most people are saying. the number of up loads is much the same, so the interest is there.

I think the reason why the number of clicks on a photograph are lower is that the front page views are now much better, so that many don't need to click on a photograph to upload it to see it properly. The front page view is sufficient. They only click of photographs they are really interested in, or want more information on.

I open up far less photographs than I used to simply because of this.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 12:41:37 PM »
I think it's exactly the opposite from what most people are saying. the number of up loads is much the same, so the interest is there.

I think the reason why the number of clicks on a photograph are lower is that the front page views are now much better, so that many don't need to click on a photograph to upload it to see it properly. The front page view is sufficient. They only click of photographs they are really interested in, or want more information on.

True, but that is at least in part due to the added "bulk upload" function. :)

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 02:56:31 PM »

Agree with this. I do however use the "like" button much more often to give the photographer a satisfaction that somebody has seen their photo. In the old website, sometimes there were calls to completely remove the view counter. Maybe it should be done now as the low number of views is kind of demoralizing, show lack of interest and passivity even if that may not be the case.

Offline Henk de Winde

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 07:11:59 PM »
Many years ago I put all my pictures on this website until I saw that I could by my own photo's in a "far away" country. I removed every photo I placed and started again placing some of them shortly because of this change in this site in where I think all our photo's are more protected and not interesting for "some" peoples? That could be one of the reasons it seems there is a lower interest, but in my opinion every really shiplover knows the way to this site? It was and it is!
Henk de Winde

Offline Bill

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 03:32:38 PM »
My problem with the site over the past few years is the quality of the photos being posted.  Many are poorly composed and of poor technical quality, which was not the case years ago.  Many current pictures could be characterized as snapshots instead of photographs, and I am wondering whether this is a result of using cell phone cameras.  Also, many of the people who would post their photos in the past no longer seem to be involved, which has significantly reduced the variety and quality of the posts. 

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2022, 09:32:51 AM »
Spot on Bill !Glad that someone mentioned quality. Who cares about composition,angle, lightning,sharpness, weather, distance from camera etc. Just upload and someone will click on! Maybe counter is faulty for some reason or not,maybe thumbnails are too big now and no need to click on or ....?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 09:36:03 AM by Sinisa Aljinovic »

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
I think also there are photos that are not really appropriate for this site. I'm afraid pictures of tables and chairs for example don't interest me very much. I note also that bits of ships are being categorised as ships deck, although no deck is visible, but even then, ships decks are just parts of a ship in my view.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 10:34:36 AM by Tony des Landes »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk