Author Topic: I don't want to join SS social media. Please stop pestering me.  (Read 2081 times)

Offline volker1948

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: I don't want to join SS social media. Please stop pestering me.
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2022, 08:04:12 AM »
Yes,dear Richard Patton. We are not only community, WE ARE FAMILY!!!!

Offline Clive

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2022, 10:46:10 AM »
Well said Richard, beautifully put.

Offline volker1948

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2022, 07:24:39 AM »
Still this damn pop up on the home page!!

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2022, 10:49:38 AM »
I expect this reply will be removed by the "site powers" but I have added PopUpOff to my browser. Addon version for all browsers.
After install, turn it on. As soon as popup or overlay shows for the first time, right click and choose Moderate option. If that Fails try Aggressive. I find moderate is good enough.
I no longer get pop ups or invites etc. The popup flashes momentarily and is gone.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 11:11:52 AM by ChasB46 »

Offline Elbe-Dino

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2022, 05:35:07 PM »
The old website was 100% ok. I hate this new one.

That
A wise fool speaks, because he has something to say.
A fool speaks, because he has to say something.
A wise fool is silent, because there is nothing to say.
A fool is silent, because he has nothing to say.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2022, 09:22:35 AM »
I've ticked the box not to have my photos posted on social media, shouldn't that also stop this annoying pop up to join?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2022, 05:20:04 PM »
Having read a the reactions to my earlier question, I can only refer to a well known English proverb: There is not such a thing as a free lunch. While volunteer admins help the users in accommodating their pictures in the right order, according to the correct category and meeting site standards, there is nothing admins can do when the framework of the shows hick-ups or are in need of technical improvements. For this the site owner employs a team of IT people who (can) deal with the site on a more or less immediate basis. Furthermore he rents space on a server which is not free either. Now we know that the site owner is not a charity organisation but a person who at least wants to break even on the efforts he puts into the site, so it is only natural that ways to cover costs are being sought.

As somebody remarked there, is not much money to be gained with ship photography, so in order to cover costs other ways have to found.
One already existed, one could become a supporting member. Also advertisements on the site were in place. (not visible to those who use an adblocker (which includes me).  The earning model of a site like this is to get as many viewers as possible and preferably have them click on adds. Therefore the efforts to draw attention to the site via social media, which is rather controversial to say the least, as these SMs have increasingly got the reputation of a place not to be, and yet they seem to work. The alternative is to set up a subscription system for the site which will give the subscriber and advert free screen, while at the same time his/her shots will not be be put on SMs by the site itself. (Copying a shot from the site on Facebook via another user is something that cannot be prevented). I recently found one of my shots on a Public Group page of Norwegian Ship Historians (with users of Shipspotting among their members)  on Facebook, where they failed to give proper acknowledgement of the source of the shot. As I am a (passive) member of Facebook I made a comment thanking them for NOT mentioning my name as the author of the shot. Since then I have no access to the Group anymore. So piracy is here now and will always be there, regardless of how the site deals with SMs.

In other words, you be can holier than the Pope, but whatever you publish on Shipspotting could without any trouble for the thief end up on Social Media, even if you don't want that.

As far as the technical aspects of the current site is concerned, that is still a work in progress, and Site IT is very much prepared to listen to constructive suggestions,  which go beyond the one-liner: "I hate this site". 

The alternative is the end of the site, and by then many will realise what they are going to miss, but then it will be too late. 

Offline Clive

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2022, 07:15:33 PM »
Pieter

Your comment regarding those that say "I hate this site".
I do not hate it but I find it visually unattractive. It has been what one might describe as 'over designed'. It is fussy with those additions of dark blue boxes, rounded at the corners and with the yellow flash. It is irritating. Less is more.
Yes, there are good aspects; the images are large and with one click can be very large but then the information below the pictures is laid out in a messy way. I fear the site has all the appearance of having been put together by someone with no design awareness at all.

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2022, 01:07:21 AM »
To Pieter...Read your comment. Your proposal for a subscription system of some sort is a great idea: I for one would support this idea.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2022, 09:45:01 AM »
Pieter

Your comment regarding those that say "I hate this site".
I do not hate it but I find it visually unattractive. It has been what one might describe as 'over designed'. It is fussy with those additions of dark blue boxes, rounded at the corners and with the yellow flash. It is irritating. Less is more.
Yes, there are good aspects; the images are large and with one click can be very large but then the information below the pictures is laid out in a messy way. I fear the site has all the appearance of having been put together by someone with no design awareness at all.

Clive thanks for your comment in this. Yes, less is more, and that suggestion belongs to the technicalities that can be freely discussed with the IT people, who are also reading these forum topics.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk