Author Topic: Hello to the ShipSpotter community!  (Read 3052 times)

Clydee

Re: Hello to the ShipSpotter community!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 01:26:43 AM »
Hello Caio Barros and James Field.  On April 27 you said

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 07:09:41 AM »
Clyde, totally agree with your comments. I did not give permission for my photos to be posted on social media, and am disappointed there was no prior communication on this issue. I do not want my photos posted on social media through a second party, and am considering my options. Furthermore I have totally lost interest in the site, a number of viewing options no longer work that were of interest to me. I think that Caio and James need to start listening and respond If they do not wish, certainly me  and others to leave altogether.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2022, 04:05:31 AM »
Agree with Clyde and Tony.

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2022, 01:13:18 PM »
If you start using peoples images without their permission; I will be removing all my images from the site.

Cody

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 07:12:38 PM »
And now suddenly I'm unable to access the site unless I turn off my AdBlock - I'll not be posting any more and will consider how best to remove all my photos.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2022, 02:42:05 PM »
And now suddenly I'm unable to access the site unless I turn off my AdBlock - I'll not be posting any more and will consider how best to remove all my photos.

This is what happened to me too yesterday. I can access it from work but at home I can't unless I turn off the ad blocker. For goodness sake....

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2022, 03:19:25 PM »
From one day to the next and without warning, this website only appears to be viewable after the adblock has been removed.
So only access while constantly being harassed with completely useless ads.
But I do not want to uninstall / install adblock each day for looking at a few new photo

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2022, 03:20:16 PM »

And if you do turn off AdBlockers there is an option to turn off ads under the adverts - which takes you to a page to register or login - even though I'm logged in!! This is getting to be a real joke now - I'd maybe feel happier if we had any sort of response from the IT team/Owners - they seem to have time to post photos on FB!

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2022, 08:44:26 AM »
I can still access the site but with that annoying message at the bottom, do they want us to pay for an ad free site?
It just gets worse  >:(

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2022, 10:58:11 AM »
Hi, Bob
I have permanently switched-off my ad blocker on this site and don't have any more problems. However I do get ads. This morning I had one with scantily-clad young ladies. Not what I want to see on a site about ships
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 11:07:44 AM by Bob Scott »

Clydee

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2022, 10:19:56 PM »
Patrick Hill made this Comment to one of the photos posted to FaceBook  I have repeated it to another
See https://www.facebook.com/ShipSpottingCom

You are seriously alienating long standing members of the ShipSpotting site by continually ignoring messages in the forum - please take the time to answer these messages as a priority over posting on FB!!

Offline caiobarros1

• Administrator
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • ShipSpotting.com
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »
Dear ShipSpotting Members,

We write this post regarding the usage of photos across the ShipSpotting social medium of Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. We have noticed that some members are not happy about their photos being shared across our social media accounts and that you want it to remain on the website only.

We totally understand this perspective, especially around privacy and copyright. On behalf of the ShipSpotting team, we apologize for any inconvenience caused with our actions surrounding this.

So we're going to outline to you what we're now going to do going forward: We're going to provide users with an option to disallow the usage of current and future photos externally (social media) on the photo settings page: https://www.shipspotting.com/photo/settings. From there, it will be clearer for the ShipSpotting communication team when and where we can use photos.

For any users that have had their imagery shared on our social media that you want removing, please reply to this post with the link to the specific post in question, and we will aim to remove this within 24 hours. We want to always acquire feedback, regardless of whether it is negative or positive, in order to benefit our incredible community who do us the amazing pleasure of showcasing their photos and movements.

If you wish to message us privately, please feel free to do so via the forum, or by email.

You can find our emails here below:
Caio Barros -  [email protected]
James Field - [email protected]

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused in this matter, and please feel free to reach out for any additional support!

Kind regards,
ShipSpotting Communication Team
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:25:56 PM by caiobarros1 »

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 03:51:19 PM »
You need to read the latest Terms & Conditions re the site

To promote contributing photographers and increase traffic to the Website, ShipSpotting reserves the right to make available links to submitted photos for other websites or applications
It's failing to increase traffic to Shipspotting.com
It used to be that the view numbers of the most viewed pix each day were 300-400.
Now they are usually <100 and sometimes <50.

Clydee

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2022, 01:56:26 AM »
 When logging on there is a heading stating Most Popular Last 24 Hours

The photos under the heading are of the most recent uploads!!!!!

To see the most popular in the past 24 hours one has to click the Photos tab near the top left hand corner of the page then click Most Popular

Many members view the Most Popular photos as the first thing they do after logging on

This should be corrected as a matter of urgency

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2022, 05:42:37 AM »
Clyde, although I see the anomalies you mention, one should always remember that shipspotting is not a popularity contest. Personally I would not be unhappy if that element gets far less attention than before, when popularity was largely driven by the number of comments and not by the subject, let alone the technical quality of the photo,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk