Author Topic: Hello to the ShipSpotter community!  (Read 3007 times)

Offline caiobarros1

• Administrator
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • ShipSpotting.com
Hello to the ShipSpotter community!
« on: April 26, 2022, 05:28:50 PM »
Hello guys! We hope that you well! My name is Caio Barros and James Field and I are responsible for ShipSpotting's social media.

This forum post is to discuss part of the many plans that we have here on ShipSpotting.com and how we can get this incredible industry more into public view.

Therefore, over the last couple of weeks, we have opened up social media accounts dedicated to ShipSpotting and the hundreds of thousands of photos that we have on our website!

These social media accounts will showcase the amazing photographs that you guys take and give you the recognition that you deserve for posting on our site. It is an honor that you guys choose us when uploading your photos.

We heavily encourage you to follow our social media accounts that we have so far, which are as follows:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShipSpottingCom
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShipSpottingCom
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shipspottingofficial

We have a considerable emphasis on basing our social media content around our audience and stakeholders.
So, if you have any ideas regarding what we post on social media, then go ahead and reply to this thread as your input is greatly valued.

In the meantime, if any of you guys need any support or anything like that, then please give me a message on the forum.

I look forward to communicating more with you guys for the many exciting things that we have in store!

All the best!

- ShipSpotting Communication Team (Caio Barros & James Field)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 05:35:24 PM by caiobarros1 »

Clydee

Re: Hello to the ShipSpotter community!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 07:39:32 AM »
 That is very interesting news!

Will every photo uploaded to the site be copied to one or more or all of the social media you mentioned?

Or will there be some form of selection criteria used?

Clyde
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 08:13:36 AM by Clyde Dickens »

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 02:05:40 PM »
I made a post on the FB group pointing out my thoughts on the new style here - it was removed very quickly from the group :(

I would also like to state that you DO NOT HAVE PERMISSION to repost any photo I upload to ShipSpotting.com to any social media platform - if I want my photos posted elsewhere I will do so myself.

Patrick

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 04:56:27 AM »
Agree with Patric. If I want my photos and my name posted elsewhere, I will do it myself. You do not have my permission to post MY photos anywhere.
You also say "my name is" but you list two names. So are you one or two persons?

Clydee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 05:16:56 AM »
I repeat my original question and ask another

Will every photo uploaded to the site be copied to one or more or all of the social media you mentioned?

Or will there be some form of selection criteria used?

Will there be a means of refusing permission to repost to social media.  In a position which applies to all photos uploaded by the member? 

Offline Manfred

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »
Just checked on fb, lots of well known photos.  >:(

https://www.facebook.com/ShipSpottingCom
'Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then'

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 10:09:42 AM »
You need to read the latest Terms & Conditions re the site

To promote contributing photographers and increase traffic to the Website, ShipSpotting reserves the right to make available links to submitted photos for other websites or applications (hereafter 3:rd Party) to incorporate as part of their service. Linking to material on the Internet is common and not an issue in itself, but to be clear on how pictures submitted to ShipSpotting.com might be used, this paragraph was created.

Following conditions apply: etc.etc.

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 10:25:08 AM »
Not the T&C's I agreed to, if there is no opt out then I will have to consider removing all my photos and not posting anymore.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 11:26:38 AM »
Not the T&C's I agreed to, if there is no opt out then I will have to consider removing all my photos and not posting anymore.
Ditto from me

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »
After rereading the message posted by Messrs. Barros and Field,  I read Shipspotting's Copyright Policy and given the sites previous stand on copyright issues, the wording in this section essentially creates an "open door policy"...? As expressed by other members, this site does not have my permission to post my photos elsewhere.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 01:53:29 PM »
Could it be Shipspotting attracting advertising revenue to fund the site ... however, kept change of T&C's very quiet on this topic. Your photos, your choice to stay or go.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »
Ditto from me

And ditto from me as well especially with the "share" button which I notice has been used on some photos so where have they gone?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 02:22:36 PM by Robert J Smith »

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 05:28:32 PM »
The tread started with: "This forum post is to discuss part of the many plans.... etc".
Now more than three weeks ago.
Total silence. ................
Now some answers about the serious questions from the members please?
It is clear that not everybody want his or her photos to be posted on social media.
And I understand now why "full screen" on old website was for members only and on the new website for anybody.
Copyright protection and privileged viewing are gone. 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 05:33:54 PM by Pieter_Inpijn »

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 02:17:14 PM »
As we don't seem to be getting any response to these questions on here - I've just posted the following on the FB group

"I want to post my photos to the site but NOT have them posted anywhere else. Are you going to reply to my post in the forum or just delete this message as you did my last one?"

Let's see what happens now - but I'm not holding my breath...

Offline Clive

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 01:50:28 PM »
I have come late to this thread, primarily because since the redesigning of of the site, which I think is perfectly dreadful, I am not inclined to visit as often as I did in the past.
I agree with several of the contributors above; I posted my pictures on Shipspotting.com and I am not happy for someone to now take those pictures and post them onto Facebook and elsewhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk