Author Topic: Soon - New website design  (Read 33007 times)

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Soon - New website design
« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2022, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm still treating the new site as a "work in progress", and there are things still being changed/improved.

Next on the list to (possibly) take care of: number of "Likes" that becomes the number of "Comments" as soon as one comment is added, and the number of "Likes" exceeds 3. So you have, for instance, photos that show "90 comments"...

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #316 on: July 28, 2022, 12:39:30 PM »
I'm still treating the new site as a "work in progress", and there are things still being changed/improved.

Next on the list to (possibly) take care of: number of "Likes" that becomes the number of "Comments" as soon as one comment is added, and the number of "Likes" exceeds 3. So you have, for instance, photos that show "90 comments"...

Thanks Vlad for the thumbs up, your point has been duly noted. Personally I would like to get rid of the "likes" thing altogether (just to emphasize that we are NOT social media) but I am not sure whether this is a popular position. (may not be "liked")

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 30, 2022, 02:14:30 PM »
A couple of questions for site members:

Latest photo comments on home page - what if there would be a small (like within 50x50 pixels frame) photo thumbnail near each ship name & related recent comments there? Or you prefer clicking on text/comment wondering which photo it would lead to?

Saving a photo - currently the default photo title is photo's ID number on site. What if the default photo title would have been like "IMO1234567 SHIP NAME ID1234567" ? In this way if you saved many photos of a certain ship, just sorting by file name would group them all by IMO regardless if ship had various names & ID number would make sure you didn't save duplicates or that you don't have to manually add new number each time you save new photo of that ship. Or how would you suggest the default photo titling when saving from site?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 08:06:47 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #318 on: July 30, 2022, 06:16:06 PM »
Hi Denis

My photos of the ships that I am interested in, are stored by first trading name of a ship plus IMO number (each ship has a separate directory) up to 1999 and starting from 1947. (I rarely shoot ships that have no IMO number),  Later photos I have currently saved by name and yob, but eventually they will go by IMO number as well. Most tankers I have already organised by first name and IMO number. I usually download only one shot of a ship under a certain IMO number per name. 

So if a save a shot from here of a ship built before 2000 (or a later built tanker)  it will go in the directory with the corresponding name and IMO number and only when the name on the photo would give some difficulties to decipher I rename the saved photo.  In other words I have none of the problems you are describing.  The default photo number is good enough for me, it also gives you some idea how long ago the photo was posted.

If it is technically possible adding a small photo to the comment could save some time, by not having to read comments to ships that do not bother me at all. (yachts, naval stuff etc)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 06:30:33 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline seaweasel

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2022, 07:26:54 AM »
Hello everybody,
I would like to add a remark about the bug reported by Vlad (lappino) about counting of "Comments"  "Likes" and also of "Views". The indications of the former two are often coupled. For example, when I commented on the latest pic of inland tanker HUYGENS the indication of Comments changed from 2 to 9 (!) and likewise the indication of Likes changed also from 2 to 9. This has increased to 20 (!) being indicated for each on the thumbnail pic. When the picture is selected it then shows 5 comments (which is the true number) and five likes. This is really not acceptable and the issue should be addressed by the IT-team soon.

Correct counting of the clicks is essentiel to indicate the true interest in a shown picture. When selecting a photo the additional click is mostly counted after a short time, but in some cases the indication is delayed and in some cases it is not counted at all. I have checked this with many older pictures (not mine) and I have seen that around 30 % of the selected pictures had NOT counted the additional view after some days or later.

This is strange considering that the new version is running for five months now. IT-team, please fix this distorting issue as soon as possible to see the true number of views, comments and likes to show the interest in a certain photography correctly. It does matter a lot for the community of this site in my opinion because these entries are the tools for interactions for members and guests.

Many thanks in advance to Hugo Vieira and his team for their efforts to make this website better.

Regards, Hans

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2022, 11:44:56 AM »
This website seems to be having major issues with spam replies, comments and posts as of late. Is this something IT intend to address?

Also, I got another 504 trying to post this, but the post succeeded, so something with your success message is mis-configured.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 11:47:36 AM by smithy166 »
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #321 on: August 03, 2022, 07:25:42 AM »
This website seems to be having major issues with spam replies, comments and posts as of late. Is this something IT intend to address?

Also, I got another 504 trying to post this, but the post succeeded, so something with your success message is mis-configured.

Smithy, I sent you  a PM yesterday, and the the 504 issue is being looked by IT. Rome was not built in one day. 

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 08, 2022, 10:30:22 PM »
Q: What's the difference on shipspotting.com between having your adblocker On & Off?
A: 70 pixels!

I mean, I thought switching the adblocker off would remove that annoying stripe which hides the bottom part of the site, but now there's STILL (now black) "annoying stripe which hides the bottom part of the site" (although it's just 70 pixels narrower).
Regards,
Denis

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2022, 05:18:04 AM »

Smithy, I sent you  a PM yesterday, and the the 504 issue is being looked by IT. Rome was not built in one day.

Rome wasn't unnecessarily torn down  :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2022, 08:10:01 AM »

Rome wasn't unnecessarily torn down  :)

Thanks for the thumbs up...

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2022, 04:23:33 AM »
I like the new automatic date when uploading photo, it is a nice feature. But it only works for individual uploads, not if you upload more pictures at the same time.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 17, 2022, 07:30:28 AM »
When you look at your photos you can only search newest or most popular you cant start with oldest , I find this very inconvenient. 

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2022, 02:07:33 PM »
Probably been mentioned before.
I get " upload failed status code 522". Tried again and upload successful but find that image had uploaded twice!

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 17, 2022, 02:17:18 PM »
Like that "date of image" is auto filled
also like the "Category" is auto filled from the IMO number but would suggest that the IMO box comes before the Category box on the upload page to make this function work better.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #329 on: August 18, 2022, 11:42:22 AM »
I like the new automatic date when uploading photo, it is a nice feature. But it only works for individual uploads, not if you upload more pictures at the same time.

Csaba: I got this reply from Hugo

"Regarding the date issue, it does not populate the date automatically for multiple photos only for a single photo.

However the dates for all selected photos are presented on a menu within the date selector for the field

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk