Author Topic: Soon - New website design  (Read 33002 times)

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Soon - New website design
« Reply #285 on: July 12, 2022, 06:45:23 AM »
Like previous comments I have tried to be patient with this new site. It has become a site plagued with ads, and has lost many of the features that
made it appealing to me and it seems many others. I am still posting, however no longer "surf" photographs. ( more ads than photos and the remove ad feature does not work ). I stay, fingers crossed that things will improve, patience is running out. Very disappointing.

Offline Henry Casciaro

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 12, 2022, 11:24:17 AM »
I fully agree with Steve Tompkins I have just realised you can no longer save or download any photos. Is this yet another feature of the new website design ? If so it really means the end of this valuable site for me as I normally save images for my own private use and reference, always respecting photo copyrights etc. You can still take screenshots of any photo and then crop them yourself so if this has been done to protect photographers rights then it seems a bit pointless. Could an admin please clarify this new restriction please !

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #287 on: July 12, 2022, 11:32:47 AM »
Just wondering what is going on here. I have just opened the site and downloaded whatever I wanted and got everything jpeg format.

Please note that when you open the thumbnail, the real image (of which the resolution is given in the description) appears. When you click on save this image, you are actually saving the full resolution image. The full size option is just there to give you the possibility to see the image in larger size, but the resolution of the shot is the same what you get when opening the thumbnail. This is contrary to the previous version of the site, where the resolution of the shot downloaded  after opening the thumbnail ,was actually much smaller than when opened full screen. Another advantage of the current site is that it is no longer required to reduce the size to 4000. Any resolution can now be uploaded without having to manipulate your shot before uploading.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:27:40 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 12, 2022, 12:14:21 PM »
This stopping of downloading someone's photo for your (OWN PLEASURE) goes against everything this site was supposed to be about, which was a photo SHARING site. I post on her to allow others to share my photos, it's my decision so i'm comfortable with all that copyright stuff as it's not going to make me a millionaire, so no more photos from me until it's re-instated.

If everyone else stops to the site stops dead...

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #289 on: July 12, 2022, 12:18:57 PM »
This stopping of downloading someone's photo for your (OWN PLEASURE) goes against everything this site was supposed to be about, which was a photo SHARING site. I post on her to allow others to share my photos, it's my decision so i'm comfortable with all that copyright stuff as it's not going to make me a millionaire, so no more photos from me until it's re-instated.

If everyone else stops to the site stops dead...

Please read my post just above yours.

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 12, 2022, 12:22:19 PM »
I have :) You can also still save a photo in JPEG via the thumbnail but the compression makes the photo fuzzy so it's not worth doing, bit like building half a roof on a building and then giving up.

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 12, 2022, 12:22:41 PM »
@Pieter Melissen: can you please explain which buttons you use?
My buttons are: MORE, Full Screen, righthand mouseclick, SAVE AS.
Choices: Webpage Single File, Webpage HTML Only, Webpage Complete.
JPG is missing, it is no longer there? Has disappeared after 18 years?
I do not understand your remark?
Regards, Pieter

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #292 on: July 12, 2022, 12:31:36 PM »
@Pieter Melissen: can you please explain which buttons you use?
My buttons are: MORE, Full Screen, righthand mouseclick, SAVE AS.
Choices: Webpage Single File, Webpage HTML Only, Webpage Complete.
JPG is missing, it is no longer there? Has disappeared after 18 years?
I do not understand your remark?
Regards, Pieter

I open the thumbnail, right click on the larger image (of which the resolution is stated in the description) to save this image, then you wait for a couple of seconds until your computer makes a suggestion for the path to save it and then you simply save. You will have the image in the same size as posted by the original photographer and as a jpeg.
If I go to the "more" option and click full screen, I can do the same: Rightclick, wait for path and save. There is nothing about Webpage or PNG etc...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:34:55 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline Johnny Holmen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 12, 2022, 12:40:30 PM »
I just did a test with your description at hand, and it do not function that way. Since you may be a moderator, you may have an other menu than the others. I can save the thumbnail only in jpg/jpeg format. So please check the set-up for any hidden changes. And the thumbnail saves as a smaller image than the posted one. With all the comments from the community, an explanation from site admin. is REQUIRED.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:51:03 PM by Johnny Holmen »

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 12, 2022, 12:46:52 PM »
Agree with Johnny, that simply isn't available to the ordinary member now. Who's idea was it to stop this? Or is it related to this "ad update" that was mentioned the other day.....

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #295 on: July 12, 2022, 12:48:27 PM »
I don't use the facility but can confirm when selecting Save As in Chrome and Edge you only get web page options.

EDIT - but if you select your own photos it appears you can save as .jpg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 12:50:12 PM by Patrick Hill »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #296 on: July 12, 2022, 12:59:08 PM »
I just did a test with your description at hand, and it do not function that way. Since you may be a moderator, you may have an other menu than the others. I can save the thumbnail only in jpg/jpeg format. So please check the set-up for any hidden changes. And the thumbnail saves as a smaller image than the posted one. With all the comments from the community, an explanation from site admin. is REQUIRED.

I do not use a site menu. Everybody can open the photo thumbnail I suppose, and then right clicking on the then appearing photographing is simply a windows option, it is the way that I save shots from everywhere. Some sites have a different format in presenting their shots such .WEB or .PNG. If that is the case I can still them, open them in my photoeditor (ACDSee) work on them if necessary and then say the results as a jpeg.

The fact that I am a moderator has nothing to do with this.

Offline Johnny Holmen

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 12, 2022, 01:05:41 PM »
Pieter, I give up. You do not take us seriously when reporting an issue. You just continue with your statements without offering any further examination into what we are reporting. I've tried both Edge and Chrome browsers and the result is identical.

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 12, 2022, 01:31:00 PM »
Yes Pieter, as Johnny has alluded to right clicking a photo to save as .jpg in full resolution is now no longer an option. I'm not sure how you can manage it and no one else can, but we members are flagging this up as a major issue. Can you pass or show these messages to the IT folk please. Thanks.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #299 on: July 12, 2022, 01:46:09 PM »
Yes Pieter, as Johnny has alluded to right clicking a photo to save as .jpg in full resolution is now no longer an option. I'm not sure how you can manage it and no one else can, but we members are flagging this up as a major issue. Can you pass or show these messages to the IT folk please. Thanks.

OK, one more time then,

1. It  is NOT necessary to go to full screen and then save the image. You will get the full resolution image by saving the shot that with the description etc.
2. I have no special privileges that would allow me to do things that others cannot do
3. I am using Windows 11 and Firefox
4. I have informed Hugo about this discussion. We have contact on an almost daily basis so I hope this can be solved.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk