Author Topic: Soon - New website design  (Read 33011 times)

Offline Richard Paton

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Soon - New website design
« Reply #225 on: May 18, 2022, 04:16:03 PM »
Pieter i get your frustration, i don't think communication with the owners has ever been as bad as it is currently. That said you CAN just switch adblocker off for just this site if you wish to, it's a very simple process.

I

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
I have commented on a post on FB a while ago -

"You are seriously alienating long standing members of the ShipSpotting site by continually ignoring messages in the forum - please take the time to answer these messages as a priority over posting on FB!!"

There has been a reply - "Hello Patrick Hill, can you tell us what is happening? And how can we help you? Best regards - ShipSpotting Team"

My reply - "ShipSpotting - check the forum and answer the posts!!!"

Let's see what happens next...

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2022, 08:02:16 PM »
From one day to the next and without warning, this website only appears to be viewable after the adblock has been removed.
So only access while constantly being harassed with completely useless ads.
But I do not want to uninstall / install adblock each day for looking at a few new photo

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2022, 10:36:10 PM »
"I have now joined Fleetmon: also a website with beautiful and good photos from all over the world."

Pieter, you haven't joined Fleetmon now, you've joined Fleetmon already back in August 2019....

... which is a fine website for anyone who just wants to upload photos and not be bothered by reactions of other members of this website to your photos (Unless you play the "If you give a like to my photo, I'll give a like to your photo" game on a daily basis with each uploaded photo by other members. And even if you don't like it, make sure you're giving it a like).

Don't care too much about photo comments on Fleetmon, the only true currency is likes.

I got fed up with this game on Fleetmon about two years ago. You upload a good photo of ship X and get 15 likes and two days later another photographer uploads a brutally enhanced or drab photo of the same ship and the likes for this photo go through the roof. And this happened again and again. Thanks, but no thanks, I've got my pride, too. In the Fleetmon "community" (which in part I like to call the Kiel Canal/Cuxhaven Mafia) it's not about the photo, it's about who uploaded the photo...

But that's just my personal experience/opinion on/about Fleetmon...

Clydee

« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2022, 05:21:02 AM »
Thank you Jens for your analysis of Fleetmon

Shipspotting members would not have to consider transferring to it if the people changing our site responded to questions and comments

Clyde

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2022, 06:22:24 AM »
Looked into Fleetmon - their minimum photo size is too big for me (I like SS minimum so resize to the lowest possible) - suspect I won't be uploading to there.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #231 on: May 19, 2022, 06:24:08 AM »

Thanks for bringing Fleetmon to my/our attention as I was wandering where else to post photos.

If you really need/want to go, may I suggest Shiphotos, it is Canadian site, but from what I see is that you have to have permission to upload, and they seem to be rather strict on quality. Several of our members also upload there. Photos cannot be directly downloaded either.  Other alternatives such as Marine Traffic are even worse than Fleetmon, for instance if you upload an older photo, the ship be will shown under her new name (if a name change took place) which is rather confusing. There is no quality control there what so ever.

In short, in spite of all "felt" deficiencies that have now been introduced to Shipspotting, I still would consider it the best place to put your photographs.  If only this issue of social media could be solved properly......
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 06:30:21 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline volker1948

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 19, 2022, 06:51:17 AM »
What about full screen?Why is it not working properly?Full screen is blurrier than normal picture!!

Offline Manfred

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2022, 12:53:14 PM »
@ volker1948:
Full screen and zoom work fine!
The fewer pixel in the original uploaded photo (possibly together with a slight unsharpness) the blurrier it gets when enlarged.
Try it on a good image with the maximum pixel allowed (even though really sharp photos with less pixel work as well).
Best wishes, Manfred
'Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then'

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2022, 07:07:07 AM »
Credit where it is due - can now close the warning of the Ad block and access the site without turning off the AdBlocker - you still get the warning on every page though.

Also like the much improved page layout when viewing photos. A real improvement.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2022, 01:17:06 PM »
Probably been mentioned before but why is a new page opened whenever I look at something rather than refreshing the page to where I want to go? Just closed about a dozen pages so I can log off.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2022, 06:58:00 PM »
Is it alright that when you're not signed in you can still open/download original size photos after clicking on "Full screen" (or by opening the image in new tab) ?
Back with previous site design only members had access to original size photos & that was fair.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2022, 03:33:00 PM »
Hello ShipSpotters,

Thank you all for your feedback, we went through all your suggestions and concerns so far, and readjusted the site's development roadmap accordingly.

As stated previously development on the site did not stop after the upgrade. We are actively developing the website and continuously integrating bug fixes, improvements, new features or even bringing back features from the old site.
Additionally we experiment with new ideas, which sometimes do not lead to good results. Hence your feedback is vital and much appreciated.

Regarding members experiencing issues when accessing the site and logging in, we took the liberty of directly contacting a couple mentioned on this topic and offered our assistance.
If any member have similar accessibility issues please use the contact form and let us know how can we best assist you.

Best wishes to all,
Hugo Vieira
The ShipsSpotting.com Development team
Hugo Vieira
Dev Team for http://Shipspotting.com

Offline Hannes van Rijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/userinfo.php?uid=20488
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2022, 12:22:01 PM »
From one day to the next and without warning, this website only appears to be viewable after the adblock has been removed.
So only access while constantly being harassed with completely useless ads.
But I do not want to uninstall / install adblock each day for looking at a few new photo

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »
Is it alright that when you're not signed in you can still open/download original size photos after clicking on "Full screen" (or by opening the image in new tab) ?
Back with previous site design only members had access to original size photos & that was fair.

I agree Denis - it would be  better to be restricted to members again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk