Author Topic: Soon - New website design  (Read 33024 times)

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Soon - New website design
« on: February 21, 2022, 12:23:29 PM »
Hello dear members of ShipSpotting.com,

A new website design has been in development for some time now and it is currently in a beta phase.
It is available at http://dev.shipspotting.com.

Please feel free to review it before deployment, we would love to hear your feedback.

Cheers

EDIT:
Because both versions (current and beta) run on the same domain the user's sessions overwrite each other when you login.

Please everyone follow Pieter's advice when writing a post http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,17380.msg93956.html#msg93956. Another alternative would be to use the bowser's incognito feature, or even another browser to check out the beta version.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:37:35 PM by Hugo Vieira »
Hugo Vieira
Dev Team for http://Shipspotting.com

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Soon - New website design
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 12:51:19 PM »
I'll be the first to say the difficult words: me like! :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 12:59:02 PM »
I wrote a long comment, but switching form the beta version to the current one and back, resulted in me being logged out, so when I clicked "sent" the whole comment disappeared.

So whatever you are going to write, first save your comment somewhere before sending it.

Offline Juan Carlos C.

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 01:06:06 PM »
The new page is not bad, but I only have one concern, on the new page it tells me that I have 8728 published photos, since in reality I have 8940 published photos, what happens to the rest of the photos? 212 photos were ""lost""

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 01:11:28 PM »
It will take some getting used to but looks ok. I can't see the "More of" options - I use this quite a bit to see other photographers work or of the same ship, is it gone for good?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 01:24:55 PM »
attempt 2:

1. The design is probably looking more modern but I am probably old school, and I like to read black characters on a white background.

2. The absence of the summary page has been tried to compensate with making selections possible on more than just the IMO number, but also on the basis of name and MMSI number, and more factors. That could be useful, but the summary page was a very useful tool for checking in which category a ship had been allocated, for instance for posting a ship for the first time. So bring back the summary table.

3. As a corrector I find the presented listing of new photos unworkable, I cannot immediately see what the category is, whether the IMO number is there and more. This means that I will have to open each photo individually, which is far more time consuming than just just glancing through the new entries like I do every morning. I cannot see a good reason why we get to see three columns of new ships, with only the name and the photographer mentioned.

4. A large section of the some is devoted to most popular categories: Views alone is not the way to go, because some broad categories contain many more ships, than other categories that have been broken down by age brackets etc. It is not for nothing that Chemical and Product tankers is the most popular category in the beta version, it contains all the ships built from 1970 onwards. As long as there is no algorithm combining the number of ships and the number of views per category, it is simply useless. The home page space better to be used for other things, such as an extension of the space foe making comments.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 01:44:05 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 01:40:28 PM »
The new page is not bad, but I only have one concern, on the new page it tells me that I have 8728 published photos, since in reality I have 8940 published photos, what happens to the rest of the photos? 212 photos were ""lost""
Hugo Vieira

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 01:46:34 PM »
I wrote a long comment, but switching form the beta version to the current one and back, resulted in me being logged out, so when I clicked "sent" the whole comment disappeared.

So whatever you are going to write, first save your comment somewhere before sending it.

Pieter, you are absolutely correct, because both versions (current and beta) run on the same domain the user's sessions overwrite each other when you login.

Please everyone follow Pieter's advice when writing a post. Another alternative would be to use the bowser's incognito feature, or even another browser to check out the beta version.
Hugo Vieira

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 01:49:32 PM »
It will take some getting used to but looks ok. I can't see the "More of" options - I use this quite a bit to see other photographers work or of the same ship, is it gone for good?

Patrick, if you are referring to the "More Of This Ship" section in the photo page, it is available at the same spot right above the comments.
Hugo Vieira

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 01:59:00 PM »

Patrick, if you are referring to the "More Of This Ship" section in the photo page, it is available at the same spot right above the comments.

Thanks - didn't spot it earlier :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 02:02:36 PM »

Pieter, you are absolutely correct, because both versions (current and beta) run on the same domain the user's sessions overwrite each other when you login.

Please everyone follow Pieter's advice when writing a post. Another alternative would be to use the bowser's incognito feature, or even another browser to check out the beta version.

Hugo, modify your first post to warn people, it is rather irritating, I was just in the beta version, went back to this, clicked "quote" and my login was gone.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 02:06:05 PM »
I do like the full screen option to enlarge further(+)

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 02:07:29 PM »
2. The absence of the summary page has been tried to compensate with making selections possible on more than just the IMO number, but also on the basis of name and MMSI number, and more factors. That could be useful, but the summary page was a very useful tool for checking in which category a ship had been allocated, for instance for posting a ship for the first time. So bring back the summary table.

Pieter, the Ship Summary page was discontinued based on feedback from the ShipSpotting Admins.
However some of it's elements have been incorporated on the photo page, such as "Photo Categories", "AIS Position of this ship", "Photographers of this ship" and "Port History".
These sections are presented when such data is available for the photo's ship.
Hugo Vieira

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 02:08:50 PM »
About the new website: in general looking very good, a modern, fresh layout. But one important remark:

My request to handle inland vessels with ENI the same as seagoing vessels with IMO has been totally ignored.
In my opinion a simple triple IF-THEN-ELSE solution.
In the period some 15 years ago that I was programmer/developer and not web-based:
IF IMO is not null and ENI is not null
     SHOW IMO, SHOW ENI
ELSE
     IF IMO is not null and ENI is null
              SHOW IMO
     ELSE
           IF IMO is null end ENI is not null
                   SHOW ENI
           ELSE
                   SHOW "nothing"
           ENDIF
     ENDIF
ENDIF
Note the "nothing": there are many vessels without IMO and without ENI.

In case I have an inland cargo vessel like ROOS on the screen, nowhere the ENI is mentioned.
Also is mentioned: This ship does not exist on other photo categories.
But in fact there are 43 other pic's on the website with the name ROOS.
Using ENI as another key (like the IMO) would solve this.

Many modern inland tankers today have an IMO and an ENI.
See tanker ANTARES imo 9720536, but ENI is not shown in the new database (but is shown in the old database).
Another example that the queries for inland vessels are not okay.

I know that many members find the inland vessels not important but in mainland Europe inland shipping is most important, for food on the table, petrol in your car, etc.

But as said:  in general looking very good, modern, fresh layout.

Regards,  Pieter Inpijn

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 02:09:51 PM »
Looks good!

It would be nice if full-size photo ("full screen") could be opened in a new tab instead of a new window.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk