Author Topic: Soon - New website design  (Read 33481 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Soon - New website design
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2022, 09:22:34 PM »
Thanks for all the effort put into the redesign of the website. It's really, really great that the ENI no. now has the same funtionality as the IMO no.
Made my day! :)

Cheers
Jens

Offline Juan Carlos C.

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2022, 02:30:57 PM »
Hi to all..
I had limited myself to write something about the new site, but the truth is that it is already a bit disappointing, I have been a member of this community since 2007 with a little more than 9000 photos uploaded, and I am also a volunteer administrator, but For me, I don't like the system of the new site, right now I can't upload photos from my cell phone, which I had always done without problems, as I always get NETWORK ERROR, I agree with several friends about their opinions, but the change was very fast , I know that the site is being worked on, but let's be realistic, even the visits have dropped, and I think the same thing is happening that happened with the Shipsnostalgia page, they redesigned the site and many emigrated or simply didn't come back anymore. I have to wait for the problems to be solved soon so that we can return to being the community as before, many visits, many comments on the photographs, for the moment I will not be able to continue uploading photos from my cell phone until the problem can be solved.

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2022, 07:23:28 AM »
Absolutely frustrated with this site. I have tried to post a photograph of HMAS Leeuwin fifteen times, keeps telling me " invalid or missing parameters". Checked all and no problems. Sorry I am now just another drifting away.

Offline Manfred

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2022, 09:13:24 AM »
Sorry to hear about difficulties using the new site. Since 12 March I have posted 116 photos by desktop and notebook through Windows 10 and Firefox browser and have not experienced any abnormalities at all, not with single shots or multiples. Sometimes it took a bit longer to upload but always about similar to the old site.
Rgds, Manfred
'Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then'

Offline Weserphoto

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2022, 09:46:56 AM »
The three fields "Location", "Date of photo" and "Description" are apparently mandatory. When I tried a test upload and did not enter anything there, I got this very error message and the three fields were highlighted with a red border.

I then only ticked "Unknown" with "Date of photo" and "Location" and entered some text in the description field and the upload worked without problems.

So please check whether you filled these fields with data at all. Of course we should enter real data with our uploads. :-)

Regards,
Weserphoto

Offline seaweasel

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 10, 2022, 04:46:25 PM »
Hello to all of you, firstly I want to say, that I`m very glad about the changes concerning ENI numbers, many thanks to IT for this improvement !

What I am really concerned about, however, is the dwindling number of visits to this site. Many things work well meanwhile but I have the impression that many important items could not yet be adressed by the IT-Team. Just one example, the background colour is mainly white which is very unpleasant and fatiguing for the eyes. Is this recognized ?

One point which is very annoying in my opinion, is that when selecting the main page of a vessel the default picture is shown in a lower quality. So you have to select "Full Screen" all the time. Does this make sense for a website which describes itself as the site with "The Best  Ship Information and Ship Photos" ? This is neither acceptable nor comprehensible for me.

Another point : Why are still only seven comments shown ? These comments are vital for the community of this site, please IT-team, consider the importance of this section. Additionally the comments should be shown much closer to the photograph without scrolling too much.

Next point : The presentation of the "Most Viewed Last 7 Days" on the front page is boring and useless in my opinion, better change this to "Most Viewed Last 24 Hours".

If I search an older picture of my collection I have to scroll endlessly. This was done much better on the old website with counting numbers of pages, simple and effective. Why was this changed ? It seems that the new site will require much more work to be done before eventually getting as excellent as the old one was. I'm not complaining though but  concerned that many members will possibly not have the patience to wait for a long time. And IT-team, please increase the communication with the members, they are certainly eager to hear from you more often.

In any case many thanks to the whole IT-team for the excellent work up to now, it's much appreciated.

Best wishes, Hans

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 10, 2022, 07:32:06 PM »
I wish it was possible to bulk-download ALL own uploaded photos (original size).  I have like 95% of all my uploaded photos existing only on Shipspotting.com since I lost all of them on my hard drive long ago, so I wonder how I can transfer them from site to my drive without manually going through each uploaded photo link.

Btw, noticed that clicking on "Full screen" now opens photos in new tabs - thanks!!!

Please, add "Detailed Listing" to https://www.shipspotting.com/photo/favorites so it would make it as sortable (by name, date added, category) & scrolabble GALLERY as how it is for https://www.shipspotting.com/photo/uploaded after clicking the "Detailed Listing" there.

On https://www.shipspotting.com/profile/stats/photo when clicking on "View more" in Most Liked/Favourited photos - it goes to https://www.shipspotting.com/videos instead of seeing more own photos by liked/favourited --- please fix it.

On any ship photo page: it's SHIP NAME - IMO NUMBER - CALLSIGN CODE above the photo. I think the callsign isn't needed to be there, only name, IMO or ENI.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 11:44:20 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2022, 01:01:50 AM »
Where is everybody? I scrolled through photos of the last week or so and most of them have single digit views or in low teens. Very few have more then 20-25.
Also, ports of Kotor and Bar are shown to be in Serbia and Montenegro even thou that country does not exist any longer. For a website that prides itself as being the best, it is 16  years outdated with the world's events.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2022, 02:52:11 AM »
The views are definitely weaker than before; my understanding is that only the full screen views are counted, and since the list photos are larger now, fewer people are clicking the "full screen" button. The numbers of photos uploaded does not seem to be much smaller than before, though...

As for "Serbia and Montenegro", who knows, maybe the site (rather than being obsolete) is looking into the future (demonic laughter)...  ;D

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2022, 07:15:58 AM »
Quote from Seaweasel: Just one example, the background colour is mainly white which is very unpleasant and fatiguing for the eyes. Is this recognized ?

Really, do you never read a book any more? Too tiring? The home page with dark blue and pale white characters is hardly readable.

Offline seaweasel

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2022, 09:51:00 AM »
Hello Pieter, the comparison of a book page with a computer screen  in respect of eye fatigue is not appropriate in my opinion. Please ask a doctor about the very different impact of both media....

However this is not one of the bigger problems of the new site but it does add to the impression that several changes on the site are not for the better. Of course we all hope that many issues will be adressed by the IT-team in the nearer future and everybody should have enough patience to wait for that and stay with this site.

Best wishes, Hans

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2022, 11:03:29 AM »
I can.t read any summary user profile

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2022, 12:27:06 PM »
Hello Pieter, the comparison of a book page with a computer screen  in respect of eye fatigue is not appropriate in my opinion. Please ask a doctor about the very different impact of both media....

However this is not one of the bigger problems of the new site but it does add to the impression that several changes on the site are not for the better. Of course we all hope that many issues will be adressed by the IT-team in the nearer future and everybody should have enough patience to wait for that and stay with this site.

Best wishes, Hans

I know that, but I got irritated by the fact that some people throw things at the IT team as if they own the site. Please do not forget that what is on offer here is free of charge, and providing access to larger resolution photos than any other shipping site  (AFAIK). So yes, you may have complaints that others may not have but it will always be a compromise. And furthermore the age of many of the users (including me) is well beyond the time when we had a flexible attitude towards changes.  What would be interesting here is to know how a new visitor to the site, without knowing how it once was, would react, and what criticisms he would have.

Offline victor radio74

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »
Hi Pieter Melissen, in my view we had a very good site .I don

Offline seaweasel

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2022, 02:12:55 PM »
Hello, I agree with both of you, Pieter and victor radio 74. The contributions of the members uploading photographs have made this site so succesful and patience of all involved is certainly needed. I have really no problem with that and appreciate the work of the IT-team a lot. But in the end - like victor radio 74 said - the result should logically be equally good or better than the replaced version which was excellent indeed.

Cheers, Hans

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk