Author Topic: RAW images  (Read 2211 times)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
RAW images
« on: January 08, 2022, 10:16:35 AM »
The following transcribed from a photo being deleted as it is of general interest (read from the bottom). Please continue here

Paul Finnigan on Jan 08, 2022 09:45     
I read that with newer digital cameras there is no need to shot in RAW format anymore.

pieter melissen on Jan 08, 2022 07:05     
a RAW format is comparable to negative from the analog age. It contains much more information than a JPEG (normal) digital shot, and can be used to further develop your image using for instance Photoshop, Lightroom or ACDsee. In my camera the typical size of a Raw shot is around 20mb, where a JPEG would be between 5-7mb. The extra Mbs are used to store the additional info which you can use for fine tuning your image. You will note that f.i. this site does not allow uploading of RAW images.

MattB on Jan 07, 2022 23:21     
Cheers pieter, that's helpful. It was taken as the sun started to dip and a lot of spray in the air. It looked "arty" at the time. When you say RAW format what does that mean exactly? I've googled it but can't get my head round it.

pieter melissen on Jan 07, 2022 19:08     
probably a little, a "dehaze" function in your software would also help. I tried a little to get a better shot, but the backlight is killing. This is where a real good camera, with a large sensor comes into play, and shooting in RAW format too. But even then, straight into the sun, and during the period, the light will be your enemy.

MattB on Jan 07, 2022 17:58     
Just prior to my deleting this. Would this benefit from a polariser/filter?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: RAW images
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 11:19:11 AM »
Paul, I am not aware of that, I am now using the first generation Canon 1Dx, the third generation also features RAW photography (My son shoots in RAW on the second generation)

https://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/shooting/recent-developments-in-the-raw-file-format/

Here is a link to what we are talking about, plus another one with more practical aspects.

https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/raw-file/
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 11:24:27 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 12:11:25 PM »
Many thanks to everyone for your input. Very much appreciated. Always good to have different perspectives. And it's something I need to invest more time in although that's very much in short supply at the moment. Thank you for the links Pieter. I'm using photo editing on an old macbook, which seems to get me by but as has previously been said on many occasions, its a learning curve. I hope I'm getting better and one day may post photo's to the same standards of my fellow shipspotters. Getting your head around the terminology is half the battle though. I bought a camera a few years ago, an entry level DSLR which I used probably 4x but I packed it away and forgot about it until recently when I was clearing stuff out.

I've been dabbling with non-ship photo's and when I came to upload them, it turns out the driver from the Canon website doesn't correspond with my operating system !!

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »
Paul, I am not aware of that, I am now using the first generation Canon 1Dx, the third generation also features RAW photography (My son shoots in RAW on the second generation)

https://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/shooting/recent-developments-in-the-raw-file-format/

Here is a link to what we are talking about, plus another one with more practical aspects.

https://www.borrowlenses.com/blog/raw-file/
Pieter I was reading a story on the net a while ago and basically with the newer cameras coming on the market with some them now having 45-50 meg pixel there is no real need to shoot RAW. 

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 08:27:30 PM »
Hi Paul, first of all it is not the number of Megapixels that defines the quality of the shot, that is marketing humbug, but it is the size of the sensor, of course in combination with proper glass. With sensors getting larger and larger, the size of a raw image is about to explode. Just when you think your 64 GB card is large enough, you need to go for a 128 or even 256 GB card. Now when your are a ship spotter that is not much of an issue, because getting over a 100 shots per day you may only manage on a days' round trip in the port of Singapore, but rarely even in Rotterdam. So for us the problem of data storage is not relevant, and the advantages of having the RAW data file available still gives us the opportunity to get the best out of a shot.
I have searched the web for articles that would support the reduced need for RAW photography from a quality point of view, but I could only find these capacity related issues. Perhaps you remember where yo read your story?

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 05:10:13 AM »
I'm using photo editing on an old macbook, which seems to get me by but as has previously been said on many occasions, its a learning curve.
Rather than getting bogged down using technology trying to rescue a photo shot in bad light, try shooting in good light and avoid the problem altogether.
Shoot with the sun and let the sun light your subject rather than shooting against the sun.
Or shoot in overcast with diffused light coming from all over the sky.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 07:22:29 AM »
Rather than getting bogged down using technology trying to rescue a photo shot in bad light, try shooting in good light and avoid the problem altogether.
Shoot with the sun and let the sun light your subject rather than shooting against the sun.
Or shoot in overcast with diffused light coming from all over the sky.

The charming aspect of ship spotting is that you want to take a picture of a ship, irrespective of the weather conditions. If you despite the conditions can manage a shot, than it is nice to be able to technically improve the result of a ship of that particular ship. In other words, for a shipspotter the ship should have priority over the conditions. This year we have had about five hours of sun, yet I have been on several expeditions, with reasonable results.

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 09:17:48 AM »
The lack of sunny conditions doesn't necessarily mean poor photography.
It means no shadows and good even lighting.
Shooting against the sun, means that poor images unless you really know what you are doing, and even then it might take some effort to salvage something worthwhile.

The easy way to getting good photos is to start with good lighting.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 11:51:15 AM »

The easy way to getting good photos is to start with good lighting.

That I never denied, but the first priority for a shipspotter  is to get a photo of a certain ship, also if the lighting is not so good. And before you mention it, the Rotterdam Port Authority is not keen on the use of drones....

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 12:03:27 PM »
Just when you think your 64 GB card is large enough, you need to go for a 128 or even 256 GB card. Now when your are a ship spotter that is not much of an issue, because getting over a 100 shots per day you may only manage on a days' round trip in the port of Singapore, but rarely even in Rotterdam.

I think the number of photos taken can vary a lot between individuals.

Over 100 shots per day is not that rare, IMHO.

A personal example: I've just returned from a ship spotting trip to Busan, which is clearly lacking in opportunities when compared to S'pore or Rotterdam. Plus it was a bit gloomy day, so range was rather limited. Still, I took almost 600 photos. On a nice, sunny day, 1000+ photos is not unheard of.

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 12:33:45 PM »

That I never denied, but the first priority for a shipspotter  is to get a photo of a certain ship
That's a generalisation that couldn't be supported.
Different shipspotters have different objectives.
Many are trying to capture the best images they can.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 04:33:45 PM »
Vlad, do you shoot in RAW?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 04:37:16 PM »

That I never denied, but the first priority for a shipspotter  is to get a photo of a certain ship
That's a generalisation that couldn't be supported.
Different shipspotters have different objectives.
Many are trying to capture the best images they can.

Owen, I regularly screen my photos of the same ship, and subsequently many photos disappear in the bin, but I always try to shoot the best image I can given the circumstances. And because of that I shoot in RAW.  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:02:55 PM by pieter melissen »

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 05:16:57 PM »
Vlad, do you shoot in RAW?

No, I don't.

If I did, I'd have more 256Gb cards with me. (And I'd need to clone myself if I wanted to process them all from RAW.) :)

Again, we all have our individual approaches and styles. Even as the card size is no longer a problem, some of us will shoot more, some less.

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 09:13:58 AM »
I've just posted a comment on RAW images in the wrong post 😩

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk