Author Topic: The level horizons debate.  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
The level horizons debate.
« on: January 04, 2022, 04:06:03 PM »
Here's a copy of the photo in question rotated 3 degrees right and cropped. Looks pretty good, I'd say
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 04:54:54 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: The level horizons debate.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 04:54:42 PM »
it does, the cranes are vertical now. How did you keep the stern in the picture when rotating? Mine started to disappear after 2.4 degrees, so I used a function name "perspective correction" (in ACDSee) to keep it insight.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 05:08:26 PM »
Hi, Pieter: happy New Year. I kept the stern in by cropping height of the photo with Photoshop.

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 05:35:35 PM »
Fortuna, considered for deletion

https://ibb.co/74gft5V

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 06:16:42 PM »
As I wrote in an earlier message Babur is taking his photos on an relatively old mobile phone. I suspect (do not know) that he is uploading them direct from his phone. Assuming he does not have a computer thus no access to correcting software there is nothing he can do .. is recommending/eventually deleting a photo because its rotated by 3 degrees from the horizontal any incentive for him to upload photos.  How many viewing even noticed the 3 degrees? Do the Shipspotting members want ship photos with minor imperfections or no photo at all?

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 06:39:00 PM »
The latest photo from Babur. http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=3377980.
I assume he reads the comments which applied to http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=3377636
and several others submitted by him. Picture taken at same spot and same horizon tilting. I'm still of the opinion he does not have correcting software/computer. Perhaps admin personal question to him. Is the answer accept and "moor" it into the other nearly 3 million pictures if he can't correct? Mobile phones now appear to be superseding traditional cameras; will this lead to more "wonky" photos generally?

Offline GERALDINEnz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 12:37:21 AM »
So, due to the fact its an old mobile phone, makes this member exempt from deletions on alot of his " horizon not level", downloads!!.
We always read about "site standards".
Cheers, Graeme Waller(GERALDINEnz)

Offline brian e cole

• Supporter
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 03:58:12 AM »
One must remember Graeme that not everybody can afford top of the range, gee-whizz digital cameras but they should still be allowed to join in. The "we have to put up with" comment is a little un-called for.

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 07:33:23 AM »
While I am not familiar with the subject, I would assume that there are free apps for smartphones that can handle simple corrections and adjustments such as cropping, rotating etc.

Offline tropic maritime images

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 09:00:16 AM »
Sorry brian e cole,

The reason we have rules, is to stop Shipspotting from descending into the free-for-all that other sites end up with. If the admins start issuing exemptions, that will undoubtedly happen.

I note that you have been a member for quite a while, so you will remember that the current rules are a lot looser than the original ones.

Just my two-bob's worth.

Cheers,
tropic

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 01:01:12 PM »
The latest photo from Babur. http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=3377980.
I assume he reads the comments which applied to http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=3377636
and several others submitted by him. Picture taken at same spot and same horizon tilting. I'm still of the opinion he does not have correcting software/computer. Perhaps admin personal question to him. Is the answer accept and "moor" it into the other nearly 3 million pictures if he can't correct? Mobile phones now appear to be superseding traditional cameras; will this lead to more "wonky" photos generally?

I have just sent a mail to Babur offering to help him levelling shots before posting.

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 01:23:33 PM »
Pieter, thank you. We know nothing about Babur eg age, computer facilities etc. Would be a shame to destroy a youngsters (if that is the case) enthusiasm for ships. I do not have a mobile phone and so I asked my 18 year old grandson to take a mobile phone "off vertical" picture and correct by in built software 3 degrees. (Approx 3% /vertical.) Apparently its not that easy.
I started photographing ships within Southampton and London Docks 66 years ago with a Kodak Brownie 127 roll film at 10 years old ... how many of those photos would pass muster now? Very rare, one offs but outside site guidelines.

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 05:58:21 PM »
Thank you Pieter, that's exactly how members should respond, with offers of help, not being critical and trying to be the photographs deleted. We all started somewhere, and were probably grateful for the advice of more experienced photographers at some point. Encouraging photographers such as Babur should be the aim, not discouraging by asking for deletions.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 07:37:38 PM »
When I was an admin on this site (circa 2018) I could manipulate other members
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 07:40:30 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 08:01:41 AM »
Bob, the option for admins to correct photos is not available, and I was not even aware that it ever was. I have asked the option to be introduced with the site revamp, but we have to see what happens. It seems to be more of an administrative issue, where it would be necessary to give the improved photo the same number as the one originally posted, so that comments, if any, stay on the site.

So far I have not received any reply from Babur, but I will keep you posted. I think it is important to keep members on board that provide coverage of areas not very well represented on the site.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk