Author Topic: A tip  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Steven Collingwood

• Photo Corrections
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Steven Collingwood on SmugMug
A tip
« on: March 18, 2021, 01:41:14 PM »
I have noticed some uploaded pictures that upside down or sideways.

I have learned with my photo processing software, that if I modify a picture, I must "save" the file before uploading.  If you do not want to lose the unmodified picture, just give it a new name.

If I don't "save" the file, the unmodified picture will upload, not the one I have turned to proper orientation.

Just an FYI and hope it helps.
Steven Collingwood

Offline Pete Davies

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
Re: A tip
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 02:22:18 PM »
I find that whether an original posts correctly or not - regardless of the receiving site - depends on how the computer, or the site's software, is feeling that day. It can be correct on my screen but load at ninety degrees off. I even had one view inverted when it posted.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A tip
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 09:50:00 PM »
Thanks for mentioning that tip, Steven.  In those cases I would expect the the original aspect to be consistent across all image sizes.

This is at present with IT, at least so far as photos apparently loaded correctly, but where the thumbnail (only) is presented sideways or inverted.  There are others where the reverse happens - the thumbnail is OK but not the larger sizes.

In the past these were just deleted and had to be replaced by the member, often to similar effect.  At least while the possibility of a site-server fix is still open, I have parked these in the "Holding for Final Decision" category.

It is thought that some of the upside-down images are from smart-phones held inverted (perhaps by left-handed members?!), or from the auto-rorate on some screens which sometimes seems to have a mind of its own

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk