Author Topic: Stopped from taking photos in Antwerp  (Read 7579 times)

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
Stopped from taking photos in Antwerp
« on: September 24, 2020, 03:15:33 PM »
Following my visit to Terneuzen, I drove to the new docks on the east bank.
I stopped at the bottom of Deurganchdok to photo the containerships and almost immediately a van pulled and some official stopped me and said photography was banned and he insisted that I delete the photos I had taken. When I pointed out all the others were taken elsewhere, he was OK.
I didn

Offline Jos Hoogesteger

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Stopped from taking photos in Antwerp
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 06:29:25 PM »
Hi Russell,
In the summer of 2019 I was still at the end of the Deurganckdock and was able to take pictures of the moored ships there. I could just park the car there and I didn't see anyone or see any signs indicating that this was not allowed.
It is true that you are officially not allowed to take photos of installations of the companies located there, maybe that is the problem?
Greetings, Jos Hoogesteger

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:00:46 PM »
I visited some of these places around 2005 and was only attacked by angry birds who seemed to own nests aroud there...

Offline Christian

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 02:51:33 AM »
If you were taking pics in public area...

I would call police on him! Did he showed his ID or told you why no pics ?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 05:25:36 PM »
Isn't that the west bank of the Scheldt, Russell? ???

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »
Maybe some Belgian member can clarify, but I believe there are still some laws on the Belgian statute book from the time of the First World War that prohibits photography of all sorts on industrial and commercial facilities, including docks and shipping. Very rarely, if ever, used these days. I don't know if anyone other than law enforcement can enforce them, and it's unclear who this particular person was, but it's worth having this in the back of your mind. I was once stopped by port security in Zeebrugge in the 1980's from taking photographs while waiting for North Sea Ferries, and this came up in the discussion we had. Photographed in Belgium many times before and since with no problems.

Offline Jonathan Simpson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 07:46:08 PM »
Sadly in the Netherlands and Belgium, I have been stopped more times than I can remember in the last few years. On the Dutch side it has been particularly bad between Terneuzen and Walsoorden, when I have asked it has always been because of 'Drugs' and my interest in ships and the river. More recently it has  felt it was because I am in a British car, as they never seem to take an interest in the locals?

In Antwerp a few years ago at the Boudewijnsluis I was stopped by a port official not for taking photos but for concerns I was fishing, something that is now banned along the Belgium part of the river after it was implied Eastern Europeans had cleared the river of Fish stocks.

In the 90's I was occasionally stopped in Antwerp and my passport checked by the Police, but never told
I couldn

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »
As a Belgian member I can clarify that there are a lot of problems with drugs in and around the harbour. Police are having a big crackdown so that might be part of the issue. There was a big media frenzy this summer after multiple grenades were exploded in front of the holes of key port workers such as planners for container companies.

I live near the coast (quite some distance from Antwerp) and have never been shipspotting there myself. I have never been stopped taking pictures in Oostende or Zeebrugge but then again I always shoot from public areas and never go in
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Christian

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 12:10:38 AM »
What do you mean drug problem ?

They smuggle drugs or just like drug dealers etc ?

Can you help us understand, when I was in Antwerpen and took boat trip, no problems!

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 12:28:33 PM »
There is said to be a large influx of drugs into Belgium (and perhaps via there the rest of Europe) from the port of Antwerp.

If you take a normal boat trip and go to publicly accessible areas, you should be fine. However if you are in a port zone, police or harbour security may stop you or question what you are doong.
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 08:19:29 AM »
I have been in touch with the Port of Antwerp Authority who confirm that, as I was on a public road, there should have been no problem.
In fact they suggested that I take a copy of their e-mail to show to anyone preventing photography.
Really helpful people.

Offline montaguek

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 09:09:39 AM »
I have been in touch with the Port of Antwerp Authority who confirm that, as I was on a public road, there should have been no problem.
In fact they suggested that I take a copy of their e-mail to show to anyone preventing photography.
Really helpful people.
I think I've gathered some information here, however dealing with the drug trade is a bit of a bummer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk