Author Topic: Shipspotting at Terneuzen / Netherlands now rather difficult  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Shipspotting at Terneuzen / Netherlands now rather difficult because of construction of a new large lock.
The popular area "Kopje van Kanada" just west of the locks is now closed and sealed off. It will probably never return in the present form because part of it will be removed for a new, wider entrance to new sealock.
The road towards "Kopje van Kanada" is closed for all traffic, including pedestrians, also strictly no parking along the dike.
However a bit more west a new concrete stairs over the dike is constructed with a small parking area for six cars.
Also west of the small area strictly no parking: fines up to 100 Euros. See the first attached JPG-file.

I have found a nice site for shipspotting east of Terneuzen between the town quarter Othene and the hamlet Griete, see the second attached JPG-file.
Free parking but again high stairs over the dike, but a bench to sit on and the vessels passing by much closer and a better position regarding the sun.
Disadvantage is however that no longer the vessels to and coming from Terneuzen en Ghent industrial areas can be seen passing near the locks.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:30:38 PM by Pieter Inpyn »

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
Re: Shipspotting at Terneuzen / Netherlands now rather difficult
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »
Thanks for that information; I am coming to Terneuzen for 2 days in September and I always used to go to "Kopje van Kanada"
The site east of town centre looks promising with the free parking and although we might miss the traffic entering the Ghent canal from the West, most of the coastal traffic seems to go up river. Also very slightly closer to the traffic on the North side of the Scheldt which appeared to be on the increase last year.

Offline PietB

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 04:16:35 PM »
Russell, Pieter, All

Whist the Kopje van Kanada is certainly closed off and out of bounds, lots of people still use the access road as far as the sea wall, then turn left and park in various places. You can then walk over the dyke and get almost the same views as from Kopje van Kanada. No problems at present, though things may change.
There are, of course, lots and lots of places you can access to the east of the Ghent canal. Including a mole between the Jachthaven and canal that still gives you a very good view of traffic going into the canal sluices. All of these locations involve a short walk of a 200m or so.
Further east are many other good spots, though you will need a car or bicycle to get to them.
Only small, shallow draft vessels are using the northern passage. All large ships continue to hug the southern shore in the Terneuzen area.
Hope this helps.
Piet B

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »
Quote: Whist the Kopje van Kanada is certainly closed off and out of bounds, lots of people still use the access road as far as the sea wall, then turn left and park in various places.

Well, good luck with that! That road is strictly forbidden for any traffic. Parking there will result in a parking ticket over 100 Euro, police was seen several times in the weekend while many people were seeking some fresh air at the waterside during the extremely hot days.

The only allowed parking space is marked in green in my first graphic.

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 03:01:29 PM »
Just a very quick update. I drove up to the top of the Dyke as if to go to Kopje van Kanada.
It was all fenced off but the gate was open and I sat at the top for a couple of hours before a worker leaving the site asked me to leave so he could lock up.
I then drove to the Brasserie Westbier where I went for a coffee and was told it was free parking all day in their dedicated small car park.
It

Offline Daniel B

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 11:20:50 PM »
Am from Canada and went there once. Only trouble were them angry birds that acted as Junker planes bombs diving on my head. Seem they owned the place and cared for their nests...

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2022, 01:05:46 PM »
Can anyone give an update on what the current situation is here, as I'm thinking of a short trip in May, after had two years with no real shipspotting trips.

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 10:00:49 AM »
Update about "Kopje van Kanada" shipspotting area. Since end 2021 the walk/cycling road along the water from locks to Kopje van Kanada and then in direction west to sea, is open again. But still no cars allowed. See attached JPG, park you car under "parking space for six cars", take the stairs over the dike and walk east, just a few hunderd meters. Folding chair and lunch box and have a nice day. Souce: local news paper and internet page.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk