Author Topic: Fred Olsen Cruises disposals  (Read 15529 times)

Offline ftakma

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • www.nauticagoods.com
Fred Olsen Cruises disposals
« on: July 27, 2020, 09:19:10 PM »
Black Watch and Bouddica are sold to the breakers in Aliaga.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:31:05 PM by ftakma1 »

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Fred Olsen Cruises disposals
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
I knew this was going to happen! First the Sovereign and Monarch, next the Fantasy and Imagination, now this!
Angelgreat was here. :)

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:53:41 PM »
Unlike the other ships that have recently been sold to breakers, both Black Watch and Boudicca are almost 50 years old. What ever way you look at it that is old for a cruise ship. They are both lovely and I have sailed on Black Watch three times and twice on board Boudicca. I am sad to see them go but present circumstances apart these ships would not have been around for very much longer.

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 01:49:58 AM »
Unlike the other ships that have recently been sold to breakers, both Black Watch and Boudicca are almost 50 years old. What ever way you look at it that is old for a cruise ship. They are both lovely and I have sailed on Black Watch three times and twice on board Boudicca. I am sad to see them go but present circumstances apart these ships would not have been around for very much longer.

Yes, but it will leave Phoenix Reisen's Albatros as the remaining sister ship.

Offline Emmanuel.L

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 03:01:58 AM »
It does look as it is survival of the fittest, but rather the survivors do not carry the charm and beauty of these Corona victims. So the seas will inherit the "floating apartment blocks" as one by one these majestic old vessels will sail on their final journeys to the scrap yard leaving only memories and photos. No longer will these vessels charm our harbours thus leaving us ship lovers and photographers orphans by their demise.
regards
Emmanuel.L.(Malta)

Offline DoverT

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://doverferryphotos.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 09:12:12 AM »
I can't find any official confirmation of their sales.

Any links?

Rgds
Nigel T

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »
I have seen conflicting reports about the Fred Olsen "oldies", including reports from Fred Olsen that Black Watch and Boudicca are remaining in the fleet and that the Holland-America pair are additions to it. There is a lot of (too much?) speculation on this and other sites. Can someone come up with something official. In the last eight years or so I have spent the equivalent of over six months on the 1972-built pair and will be very sorry to see them go, regardless of how old they are.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:26:04 PM by Bob Scott »

Offline Markus K

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 06:26:50 PM »
This does not speak for the early scrapping:

The Royal Viking-Veteran-Cruise in April 2021 with BLACK WATCH:

https://www.fredolsencruises.com/group-travel/royal-viking-line-veterans

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 01:05:27 AM »
Well according to Fred Olsen, the Black Watch and Boudicca don't leave the fleet until September 2020 when the fleet recieves Amsterdam and Rotterdam and renames them MS Bolette and MS Borealis respectfully, so we still have around a month left to save the vessels!

Here is a link: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23248-fred-olsen-buys-amsterdam-and-rotterdam.html

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 01:05:55 AM »
Fred Olsen's parent company Bonheur ASA put out a press release on July 15th regarding the purchase of the two vessels from HAL in conjunction with the coming "divestment of two vessels within the current fleet."

https://www.bonheur.no/latest-news1?SelectedRelease=http://publish.ne.cision.com/Release/GetDetail/7CDB812CA7F9D5C5

That in itself doesn't specify which vessels will be divested of, but I suppose some have seen the writing on the wall.
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Angelgreat

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 04:37:44 PM »
There's still time to save the vessels.

Offline old sailor

• Sailing the Four Corners of the Ocean
  • Just popping in
  • 'old sea dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 09:40:04 AM »
the fact of the matter - is simple - take a motor car - you buy it - drive it - and eventually sell it - for a newer and or better model - ships are the same - the nostalgic ocean liners of yesterday would be totally out of place or standards in today's cruise market - yes their are exceptions - ie marco polo which i believe is well past 60 in age - we change and adapt our lifestyle to today's market - and the fact that the modern cruise ships attract more passengers because the cruise ships of today are the destination unlike classic passenger ships and ocean liners - where they were traveled on to reach a destination - sad as it is to see the oldies reaching their end - fyi - i am more traditional 
Sail the Seven Seas

Offline rd77

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »
There's still time to save the vessels.

And who is going to pay for that???

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 10:14:21 AM »
.... and save them for what role? From my own experience I know that it costs a fortune to keep a classic car on the road so keeping a classic ship in operation must be a huge expense - and then you have to attract passengers to it.

Offline GordonC

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 06:00:20 PM »
Latest marketing email from Fred. Olsen (21 August) informs us that "We would also like to let you know that when we return to the waters in 2021 our new ships Bolette and Borealis will be taking on itineraries sailing from UK ports for sister ships Black Watch and Boudicca, which we plan to retire from our fleet. Both vessels have served us very well over the years and we know they are dearly loved by many of our guests. We will be celebrating their time with us over the coming weeks so please keep an eye on our official Facebook page, where you will be able to share your memories."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk