Author Topic: Your worst memory when you were trying to spot or take pictures of the ships?  (Read 13644 times)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
My worst memory was riding down to the port on my bicycle only to find on arrival that my pannier bag had fallen off which contained my camera , phone and wallet somewhere on the 15km trip.I rode back the same way and found it 6km down the road , someone had picked it up and placed it on a fence with camera and phone ,wallet still in it so thanks to that person who ever they are.         
Glad to hear that the bicycle is not only a Dutch way of shipspotting. I lost a bag and a glove once (Separate occasions) and indeed found them back the next day or so, hanging from or laying on a pole. I did find a lens cover once, and kept it....The worst experiences are two or three flat tires on the bike, one caused by a fishing hook that was left behind by a fisherman on the cycle path. Walking home was on average about 7-8 kilometers.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
My worst memory was riding down to the port on my bicycle only to find on arrival that my pannier bag had fallen off which contained my camera , phone and wallet somewhere on the 15km trip.I rode back the same way and found it 6km down the road , someone had picked it up and placed it on a fence with camera and phone ,wallet still in it so thanks to that person who ever they are.        
Glad to hear that the bicycle is not only a Dutch way of shipspotting. I lost a bag and a glove once (Separate occasions) and indeed found them back the next day or so, hanging from or laying on a pole. I did find a lens cover once, and kept it....The worst experiences are two or three flat tires on the bike, one caused by a fishing hook that was left behind by a fisherman on the cycle path. Walking home was on average about 7-8 kilometers.
No fishing hooks but had fishing line caught up in the rear hub and broken spokes 2 in last 2 weeks !

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com

[/quote]No fishing hooks but had fishing line caught up in the rear hub and broken spokes 2 in last 2 weeks !
[/quote]

In short, these pleasure fishermen are a global nuisance

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Morning - I have a couple, Santos Star nicely adorned with a Blue Star funnel sailing in to Napier on a reasonable day ... forgot camera, camera battery dying at Singapore and had to ration photoes, one I particularly regret being a nice green on a thoroughly sunny day. But I think the big moment I shared with a basking sealion on a small breakwater at Napier, I walked straight past (within 12 inches) and he mustn't have noticed me either, while photograhing I could then her heavy breathing which thought was odd. Anyway on way back the mammal then decided to protest and wnet up on its haunches with a very loud growl, I got such a fright went a** over kite skinned everything, dropped the camera fortunately only a few scratches. Had a mexican standoff for a few minutes till it slithered in to the sea.

Offline Paul Finnigan

• Photo Administrator
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
No fishing hooks but had fishing line caught up in the rear hub and broken spokes 2 in last 2 weeks !

In short, these pleasure fishermen are a global nuisance

Yes but not only to us Shipspotters but to the poor wildlife , I have seen many Seagulls with fishing line wrapped around there legs.

Just fixed the BBCode quote tags so it formats correctly
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:45:18 AM by Cody Williams »

Offline Pak Agen

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
My pocket camera Panasonic broken due to wave when going to Balikpapan OPL picking up sick crew durung emergency call the cape size bulker EVGENIA (heading to Australia Port Hedland FM China)

Offline David Harrison

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Reading that the cruise ship 'Seven Seas Navigator'  was at the Port of Tyne and due to sail 1700 hours.
Arrived at the mouth of the Tyne at South Shields just turned 1600 hours armed with camera etc..   Seven Seas Navigator was on the horizon.   She sailed at 1500 hours.
regards Glencairn :-) :pint:

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Reading that the cruise ship 'Seven Seas Navigator'  was at the Port of Tyne and due to sail 1700 hours.
Arrived at the mouth of the Tyne at South Shields just turned 1600 hours armed with camera etc..   Seven Seas Navigator was on the horizon.   She sailed at 1500 hours.

Did the same in 2005, I was working in Kent and rushed down to Dover to catch the new PRIDE OF AMERICA only to see her leaving the harbour as I drove into town. She left an hour or so earlier than advertised.

Offline GordonC

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Sailing on the Solent in a dinghy as a young boy, photographing seagulls and buoys and finishing the film in my camera. Ten minutes later the old P&O liner Oriana passed-by belching thick black smoke from all the engine room vents with passengers gathering on the decks wearing life jackets. She passed by less than 100 yards away. 20 minutes later tugs came screaming down Southampton water with hoses ready. A very dramatic scene, fortunately no one was injured, they swung the Oriana around near Bramble Bank and towed her back to Southampton, still belching smoke. If only I had a few shots left in my camera...   I remember trying to calculate how many passengers I could save in my little dinghy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk