Author Topic: How to add a location?  (Read 10478 times)

Offline Kern Jack

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
How to add a location?
« on: April 22, 2019, 02:16:17 AM »
I don't know if it was raised on this forum already but how to add a location to a picture of a ship? Why i asked because everytime a type a name of a port e.g. "Port of Spain" in Trinidad & Tobago, it comes up with "no ports found." I tried to browse the whole forum to find an answer but was unsuccessful. So i created this thread hoping anyone could help me. Thanks and happy spotting :).
BTW, also deal with the issue when typing or searching by flag country e.g "Trinidad & Tobago" it ends up with no results when there are picture of vessels online under the flag of the said country. Thanks again.

Offline andrecas

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: How to add a location?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 02:53:38 AM »
Quite some time ago I inquired about "adding new location(s)" and if memory serves me correctly site webmaster indicated..... "new locations are handled by the IT Dept."  Unlike Marine Traffic they are not self generated on this site. It was my understanding at the time a backlog of requests existed, and could take some time before each request addressed...?
I notice new locations are added regularly (2019 uploads) so presumably system is now current....?
I am unaware of a form available on site (requesting a new location be added),  otherwise I would renew my request.... 

Offline Kern Jack

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 04:18:30 AM »
Oh that's why. Though it seems like a while because ever since i joined this site years ago, the results were the same. I would've thought somebody would have add the named port already to this site, even before i joined. Wondering what kept them?

Offline Yvon Perchoc

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 11:39:07 AM »
Curiously in 2005, this location (Port of Spain - Trinidad & Tobago) was matching.
Please see http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=85866
Yvon

Offline Kern Jack

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »
Oh it was, thought i remember seeing it before. So how come i'm having trouble adding Port of Spain as the location at least with my photos? It keep saying, "no ports found." Should I have included lattitude / longitude or something?  Even if you were to click on either "Port of Spain" or  "Trinidad & Tobago", it comes up with no photos found when browsing for ship photos.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:11:16 PM by Kern Jack »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »
Hello Kern

We are unable at present to update the list of ports.  I think that some were lost a while back in a server crash, and also that the demise of grosstonnage.com has complicated matters.  But I will ask IT about this again.

(Meanwhile I'll move this to the "Site-related" forum)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:59:59 PM by davidships »

Offline Kern Jack

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »
Thank you davidships, much appreciate ;)

Offline Erlend Karlsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »
Is it possible to add a location now?

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 03:18:59 PM »
Sorry Erlend, we cannot - and I am not optimistic about any change soon.

To all members, please make sure that the location is clearly entered in the Photo Details. 

If members have time it would be helpful if dates/locations could be added where possible through the specific fields for those older photos that were uploaded some time in past when that system wasn't working at all.

I will update this thread as soon as there is any news on this.

Offline Tristin Woolf

• Just can't stay away
  • Great Lakes Maritime Academy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 09:26:19 PM »
Has there been any change in admin ability to update/add new locations since this thread was last updated? I noticed that the "New Locations" list on the "Photos" tab frequently updates with new ports.

I have a few pictures posted in a couple different ports that are currently not registered on the site, and would be happy to give an admin info about these ports if they currently have the ability to add new locations. Please message me or let me know the proper person to contact to have locations added, if this ability has become possible!
Tristin W.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 10:08:23 PM »
Thanks for refreshing this thread.
Although it remains true that we cannot add new ports right now, as i think I have already said on another thread, I am now confident that we will be able to resolve this problem with the locations menu as part of the general site updating.  This has slowed somewhat over recent weeks, no doubt for Covid-related reasons, but I hope to be able to give an update before too long.

The "new locations" you are seeing on the "Photos" page are not actually new additions, they are locations on the existing list which have not been selected before.

In the meantime I do already have a volunteer member prepared to co-ordinate this when the time comes.  If members don't mind keeping a list of proposed new additions for momont until we are ready to call them in, at which point we will issue some guidance about what would be appropriate for a separate entry.

David

Offline foggy

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 04:03:25 PM »
The "new locations" you are seeing on the "Photos" page are not actually new additions, they are locations on the existing list which have not been selected before.

Just an observation, it seems that sometimes pre-existing locations come up as "new locations" in the list - today I notice that Tampa, USA is at the top of the new locations list although the first photo from there was uploaded to the site in 2009... a couple of months ago I noticed the same with Liepaja, Latvia.

I sincerely hope that we find a tenacious IT tech soon, who can solve the new locations issue...

BRGDS / foggy
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 04:26:21 PM by foggy »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 10:53:20 PM »
Thanks, foggy, for drawing attention to that.  I'll see that IT are informed.  It may be that that can be sorted as part of the consideration of location data generally.  We'll see.
One thing is certain, Tampa is jumping up the table now that Terry Jednaszewski has opened his shoebox of fine photos.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 08:30:34 AM »

One thing is certain, Tampa is jumping up the table now that Terry Jednaszewski has opened his shoebox of fine photos.

Digital shoes?

Offline foggy

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 01:22:53 PM »
Digital shoes?

A shoebox full of old memory cards and USB-drives perhaps. ;-)

But we

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk