Author Topic: Photo composition rules  (Read 19758 times)

Offline Marek W

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/marekeos
Photo composition rules
« on: August 17, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »
I'm wondering, are close up/isolation photos allowed? I often shoot at 1200mm and get some nice details of anchors being hoisted up but I'm not sure that's allowed in picture posting. Can someone advise please?

Thank you!

Clydee

Re: Photo composition rules
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »
Marek, you certainly have taken some fine photos.  But for this site we have Site Standards that are monitored by volunteer Admins.

Site standards have criteria that can be met by members with a wide range of experience, camera gear and shipspotting locations. They provide an important element of consistent quality control for the site. In late 2015 they were subject to review with member consultation.

They can be seen by using the Support tab on the Home page, and then clicking on----

SITE STANDARDS THAT APPLY TO ALL PHOTOS

We have site standards to ensure that the Shipspotting site maintains its focus on good images of ships themselves. In addition to these general standards, some categories have specific variations. Please use the Forum to raise any queries, or contact us at [email protected]

1. Size of image: The resolution must be between 768 x 768 pixels and 4000 x 4000 pixels, and the file size maximum is 4MB.

2. Sharpness: Images must be sharp. In a sharp image, names, windows, cranes and other ship details will be clear. Moderate digital enhancement for sharpness is acceptable, but the image must remain sharp in at least one of medium/full screen/original sizes on a screen of at least 280mm. It is accepted that older images, processed from prints or transparencies may not be as sharp as modern digital photographs.

3. Exposure: All images should be appropriately exposed to show the ship clearly, and without large white or black areas. Silhouettes are not accepted.

4. Level: The horizon must be level and verticals should appear so. The image should be straightened where necessary.

5. Distortion and enhancement: Photos taken with fish eye or other lenses that produce distorted images are not allowed. Black-and-white images are accepted only if that was the original medium; similarly for colour images. All manipulation of digital images should maintain a
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:22:04 AM by Clyde Dickens »

Offline Marek W

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »
I totally missed that! My apologies. Thanks for pointing that out. Much appreciated. And thank you for the kind words. :)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »
Well, not really wanting to stir up the fire, we may want to ask us the question whether there should not be a way to formulate site standards in such a way that fine shots like that of Marek can find a place here. I remember my second shot I ever posted showed the top of the funnel of a stationary tug of which obviously the bollard pull was being measured. I found the heat wave coming from the funnel rather impressive, but alas, there was no category for the shot and it had to go.   

Offline simonwp

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:25:34 AM »
That would be interesting if it could be done. I have loads of shots of activities on board ships, such as working cargo, which might well be of interest to members but there is no category for them. It may help give some members an interesting insight into how vessels are operated etc. We have members working on ships who could also provide good shots. Most members interests are much wider than just photographs of ships, they are interesting in the wider industry.

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »
There are already more than enough categories and I don't think we need any more. Interesting cargo handling ops could possibly be included in the 'Ships Deck' category but in my opinion we don't need any more 'bits of ships' categories.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:04:27 PM »
There are already more than enough categories and I don't think we need any more. Interesting cargo handling ops could possibly be included in the 'Ships Deck' category but in my opinion we don't need any more 'bits of ships' categories.

So you would simply delete Marek's shot?

Offline Marek W

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:13:55 PM »
I honestly don't want to stir up any trouble here. Just something I think the site admins may consider. I approach this from a purely photography point of view. I don't care what ship is in my viewfinder, as long as I have something interesting to capture or present it in a way that makes my audience smile.

Could a general category be added which would encompass closeup/detail shots? No sub-categories inside. Just detailed shots of any vessel. I think this would bring a new dimension to the fine marine photography on this site and enable us and our audience to see things most don't, especially when our subjects tend to be quite a distance away from us and many will never set foot on the decks of the ships we photograph.

The aviation community faced the same issue when for the longest time some of the foremost aviation photography sites also disallowed posting of close ups, and yet with the advent of social media, sites like FB and IG now find these types of shots to be very popular.

Just a humble thought :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:16:43 PM by Marek W »

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 03:35:39 PM »
Marek,

Your photos are indeed very good from a photography perspective but this site has always focussed on ships first and foremost, and photography second. Hence we have a set of site standards which basically allows ship enthusiasts to see what a particular ship looks like, rather than to see what a bit of it looks like. Within that, there are a set of basic composition and clarity rules to weed out shots of substandard quality.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Marek W

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »
Thanks Phil! I completely understand. Looking forward to posting more. Interesting discussion none the less :)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »
An interesting discussion - and welcome to you, Marek, for asking the question.  There is plenty of room for more opinions on this from other members as well (I'll probably move this discussion to the "Site related" section as we've got beyond the initial straight question).

We do not need to be tied to the past, but we do need to keep a focus on what we can do best and what members generally want, as well as the best that we already have.  Personally I doubt that overall a sort of "Maritime Flickr" would be realistic as a way to go, even if we could actually manage it - technical and moderating resources are not exactly plentiful.

best wishes

David

Offline Marek W

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 05:43:18 AM »
Thanks David. Very well put. I just thought that maybe bringing this topic up would stir up some consideration to further site evolution and photographic expression. Ultimately it's up to the admins. I'm just glad that I can contribute some content.

Cheers,
Marek

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 09:56:34 PM »
My only comment is to support the admins, the site is about ships and vessels. As an official photographer for a port I only too well understand the differences, my employers want weird angles, dramatic lighting but for the most part this is inappropriate for a site like this.

What irritates me is the number of posts of crooked horizons, poorly balanced shots, underexposed etc, there are so many programs available so no real excuse.

No one should go on about the admins either, if they delete just suck it up and put something new on instead !
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:55:42 AM by Chris Howell »
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

Offline miraflores

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 05:16:38 AM »
https://ibb.co/iLykJU

The photo at right side was taken with a drone and was considered for deletion because it was too similare to the photo left which was taken at a fully different location and different time, and the angle of changing ist at least 40 - 50

Offline nbocean

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 07:40:14 AM »
hello miraflores,

indeed your both pictures look quite more different than many other series of the same ship at the same place and time which are not under investigation for deletion. Sometimes the decisions of the admins what to delete and what not look a bit arbitrary. But is this alone a reason to play something like an "insulted liverwurst" and to delete all your 6.000 pictures? Think you posted them to share them with the large worldwide group of enthusiasts -who will definitely like your photos and regret your step- and not only to please the limited number of admins.
very sad thing, maybe you re-think your decision.

Greets
Niko

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk