Author Topic: New & updated places in the Hampton Roads area.  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Steven Collingwood

• Photo Corrections
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
    • Steven Collingwood on SmugMug
New & updated places in the Hampton Roads area.
« on: December 25, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
Just a couple of updates-

1) The pier at the point at Fort Monroe Hampton VA (Old Point Comfort) is being rebuilt.  What I have been told is that it will be lengthened and given a T-shape end for fishermen.  If so, this promises to give a place for closer shots of ships entering and leaving the Hampton Roads (Norfolk, Hampton, Chesapeake, and Newport News VA).

2) I have discovered a fishing pier built over the wave and windscreen for the Monitor-Merrimac Tunnel Bridge in Newport News.  It is located at the end of Terminal Ave behind the Harbor Master's Building and is open to the he public as part of the King Lincoln Park.  This place can given access to good shots of ships going in and out of Newport News and the local fishing fleet.

3) On a sad note, the Thimble Shoals overlook on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel has been closed for rebuilding, and IF reopened, will be at least 2-3 years out.

Thanks and I hope this helps when folks are looking to do some ship spotting in the Hampton Roads VA area.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 09:43:17 PM by Steven Collingwood »
Steven Collingwood

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New & updated places in the Hampton Roads area.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »
Thanks for posting
I am sure members in the Hampton Roads area will find it useful.

David

Offline pspott

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: New & updated places in the Hampton Roads area.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:53:52 PM »
this is an interesting topic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk