Author Topic: Leith Docks  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Mike_714

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
    • Mike Smith Marine Photographic
Leith Docks
« on: August 01, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »
Evening all,
I'll be heading up to Scotland over the next few days and have seen during my visit HMS Somerset will be visiting Leith Docks.
Can anyone advise when Naval ships visit where do they usually moor? Would I be right in saying they use the Cruise Terminal? Also can anyone recommend a good place to get photos from please.

Thanks

Mike

Offline Riverman2903

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Leith Docks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »
Hi Mike, yes they normally do.

If you go into the Shopping Centre in Leith (Ocean Terminal) and up to the 2nd floor where the restaurants are there is an open air walkway that runs alongside so you should be looking slightly down on her as she should be moored to the left with Britannia on the right as you come out onto the walkway.

If you want to get photo's of any merchant ships then I think the 2nd or 3rd floor of the Multi story car park looks down onto the active commercial area (if you using public transport you can still get up into the car park no problem).

Your other alternative is to head for an ASDA superstore on Sandpiper Drive - Postcode EH6 6NX and that is on the opposite side of the dock looking East towards the Ocean Terminal. There were some laid-up Offshore vessels there last time I was down so that could be your landmark when looking west from the terminal - although I'm not 100% they still there. -

see photo http://www.shipspotting.com/photos/middle/4/2/8/2550824.jpg

Good luck - not the best time to be in Edinburgh as the festival is about to kick off so expect crowds and heavy rain!!!!

But enjoy anyway.

Andrew
(exiled Londoner living in the Far North of Scotland!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk