Author Topic: US Navy destroyer collides with oil tanker off Singapore  (Read 14224 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: US Navy destroyer collides with oil tanker off Singapore
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
@ Lappino,,, yes,,but that would be the ideal situation.
I saw in my officer time and later heard often from officers when I was Captain that there are a lot of Captain,s which are total unable and/or unwilling to even consider any suggestion from a lower rank, and that in the merchant marine. One can imagine how that could be on a Navy ship.  Of course it should not be that way but it is !!!
On my last assignment I had a port of call and a berth I never been, so I asked my officers and asked then one of them who was there before what his suggestion would be, what to do and how to manage certain things. The
guy was totally out of it.  Afterwards when we spoke a little about this and that he mentioned to me that I was the first Captain who asked him or his fellow officers for input and/or information.   That says it all, still in todays world about the way some nationalities doing things.
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 01:56:26 PM »
An interesting addition to above topic

In the newspaper they had here in Tampa Bay lately a article about why it happened and so on. The general tenor was that the Navy people do not have sufficient training because of budget cuts. The electronic equipment is as per them (Pentagon spokes persons/politicans) not serviced in proper intervals and the equipment is
partial old. Basically came down, they need better training,, better equipment and so on, in other words more money.  The only thing which was never mentioned were the COLREGS which can be easily followed by looking out
of the bridge windows and follow the rules accordingly  !!!!!
But I mentioned it before, in todays world it is only trained to push buttons and use any kind of electronic equipment available but not "Look out of the window" !!!!
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 05:26:17 PM »
Ted,
Here is an interesting article, written by a US Navy officer. It basically confirms what you are saying. A good read:
https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2009-01/rude-awakening

Offline canopus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 07:39:14 PM »
To: kelvin,
Indeed an exceptional article!!

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 11:20:26 PM »
Thanks Kelvin, training is everything,,, really annoying when US NAVY ships and Indian sailors on merchant ships calling you on 10 and more miles distance what my intentions are?
Usually my answer:  Reaching safely my next port, but with guys like you out here it might become a difficult task !!!
After that is usually radio silence !!!

Offline Michal-S

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2017, 07:31:37 AM »
To Kelvin:
An impressive article, indeed. Published in 2009...no lessons learnt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk